• Watkins
    • Buendía
    • Traoré (Chukwuemeka 57)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 72)
    • Ings (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/05/22 at 22:59

1 minute ago, AV82 said:

I've made multiple posts congratulating Gerrard on the second half display, praising McGinn's performance tonight and waxing lyrical over Buendia whilst posting once referring to us only being 6 points ahead of Everton who have had, by all accounts, a calamitous season. You're poking fun at someone having an avatar of a former Villa player on a Villa forum. Nice.

Sorry I offended you just sick of all the negativity.

• Like 2

Classic mid table vs relegation threatened game. 

Mings block was stunning. 

Pope was on one of those days. 

Didn't lose. Didn't learn much. Sunday will be exciting because of what rests on it, but looking forward to who comes in this summer now. 

5 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Well the window is going to allow him to buy players that suits his system, I think we should be more excited at that prospect then trying to shoe horn some players who possibly aren’t good enough anyways. 

Rangers fans were gutted that he left, and they just had a European cup final, so let’s be honest, the signs are extremely promising for Aston Villa football club if you allow Gerrard to bring in players to suit his preferred system. 

Antonio Conte went to Chelsea and made David Luiz a competent defender and Victor Moses a wing back even though never played there before

Its a cop out

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AV82 said:

I've made multiple posts congratulating Gerrard on the second half display, praising McGinn's performance tonight and waxing lyrical over Buendia whilst posting once referring to us only being 6 points ahead of Everton who have had, by all accounts, a calamitous season. You're poking fun at someone having an avatar of a former Villa player on a Villa forum. Nice.

We're 6 points off Wolves in 8th 

Just now, gwi1890 said:

Sorry I offended you just sick of all the negativity.

I just think we can do better. We've played pretty poorly with a really talented squad that has been fully fit for the most part and yet it looks like we're going to give Gerrard 100m to fix problems that he's created himself... in my opinion. It's worrying.

Just now, DCJonah said:

Played well in the 2nd half.

I'm excited for next season but at the same time acknowledge a 14th place finish is a little disappointing. 

Positives to build on next season for sure. 

Genuine question, what do you see as the positives?  I’m seeing just as many negatives as I see positives.  

I’m less hopeful this end of season than the last few end of seasons. That’s not based on league positions but each end of season I’m hopeful next season we’ll progress more than the previous season, my current frame of mind I’m struggling to see us being better next season.  Adding better players will obviously give us more chance to improve but that’s unknown at the moment and I’m not seeing us get the best of current players who, most, will still be with us next season.

So keen on your thoughts because you are an honest poster.

14 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Love your all round positivity, are you new here? 😉

On a serious note… there will always be games we should win and don’t. But dominating a game should always be celebrated, because if you dominate games you will win most of them. And we dominated that and hopefully they go down at the weekend. (And if they don’t, Leeds do, and that’s a nice end to the season as well!)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We're 6 points off Wolves in 8th 

Doesn't fit the narrative for those who have an agenda against Gerrard. We were good tonight but Pope was extraordinary. Disappointing the last two games, points wise. but we can still grow and get better. We will.

Edited by Villa_Vids

1 hour ago, Mantis said:

None of these are true though?

It is the worst football though, you used crucify McLeish on here but this football is worse but with better players 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Not sure how the positive stats add up. 2 wins in the last 10 is shite.

Screenshot_20220519-215407_Google.thumb.jpg.a09e35f91c1d49b7d8201f2a911bfde0.jpg

Stunning!!!!

The table is interesting, and of course it doesn't lie, but I think the number on the left does mislead slightly, or at least encourages an incorrect emphasis. What we can see from the table is that we're pretty much equidistant between West Ham in 7th and Burnley in 17th, and that feels about right. We can also see that there's a big clump of teams stuck together in the middle of the table, with nothing more than two wins separating us in 14th from Wolves in 8th; 2 wins is nothing really over the course of a season. Even though it would have been nice to finish with two home wins, and it's annoying that we miss out on a few million of prize money, it wouldn't mean we were a completely different team if we were level with Leicester instead; we'd still be a deserving part of the thick midtable clump. 

On to the game, not much to say that hasn't been said already. Obviously Pope was man of the match, and we created enough to win that on another day. Carney was fairly ineffective, and maybe if we'd played Coutinho, Ings or Traore from the start we might have done better, but the result is less important than getting the young man up to speed with the league. Chambers looks massively better than Konsa, but I'm sure we'll buy Mings a new partner anyway. Buendia was mostly excellent, so it's a shame he'll remember this one for one bad moment, but at least it happened in a game that doesn't objectively matter much. 

• Like 4

We're getting better for sure. Hopefully we get the players in we need and start next season well. 

I'm just gutted we've ended 14th and the financial hit is going to cost us in signings we'll never get to know about

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

It is the worst football though, you used crucify McLeish on here but this football is worse but with better players 

I've seen far far worse football under multiple managers, including Grealish.

4 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Not in the majority here but I thought we were pretty fun to watch today. The goal in the first half seemed to turn everyone very negatively but we dominated possession, chances created, shots on target, touches in the box. We had like 6 attacking players on at one point.and but for a bit of bad luck and a hell of a good oppo keeper we could have scored a boat load.

I think we are very close to it all clicking and us being a real good team

How many of those shots were good opportunities really? The traore header, sure. Most of the other shots were speculative efforts that only go in 1/10 times. Not really good enough, its all just instinct, in the moment football. Surely we know Pope is a great keeper who can keep a clean sheet single handed on his day. 

Hopefully come next season we'll actually start to see some sort of improvement in results. Otherwise Gerrard can bugger off back to Liverpool or whatever. This is by no means any better than what Smith gave us. 

11 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Oh right, when opposition fans said it to me daily for two years I didn’t know the caveat was we weren’t allowed to replace him. Forgive me for being pleased they were as wrong as they were while still acknowledging we have been poor.

I forgive you! 😉

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Amed said:

I don’t think Cash beat the first man with cross once today!! Lot’s of huffing and puffing but apart from our goal lacked quality. 

Every single cross was blocked. Maybe 15?That was embarrassing.

Â