• Watkins
    • Buendía
    • Traoré (Chukwuemeka 57)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 72)
    • Ings (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/05/22 at 22:59

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

and 6 games won at Home is another indicator of lack of game control. is, we can't control the play, well enough.

We either storm teams or we get stormed....and thats how we more or less get our points.

Not sure if you folks in the UK had the same commentators as we did here.

However, the commentator made note of this.

I think he said we are a top 10 team away from home, and much worse at home, which is obviously a massive problem.

He also mentioned that frustratingly, we seem to play in " bursts " . We will be brilliant for a 15 - 20 minute period, then terrible for 20 etc.

Claims he has watched us alot this season, and at our " Best " we are brilliant but incredibly frustrating that we don't seem to sustain a level.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think he said we are a top 10 team away from home, and much worse at home, which is obviously a massive problem.

He also mentioned that frustratingly, we seem to play in " bursts " . We will be brilliant for a 15 - 20 minute period, then terrible for 20 etc.

Claims he has watched us alot this season, and at our " Best " we are brilliant but incredibly frustrating.

I’ve noticed when playing against a team we need to break down the fans aren’t patient with us moving it around waiting for an opening. Eventually the moans and groans get louder and the players try to force it and in most cases lose it.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Claims he has watched us alot this season, and at our " Best " we are brilliant but incredibly frustrating that we don't seem to sustain a level.

I actually went to the game shaun, so I was not influenced by any commentators.....but I agree with him, based on your comments.

I still think its the midfield personnel who in many ways (not all ways) are too similar....without going in to fine detail, height alone makes them similar, which effectively means, they can't compliment each other.

They say "Goals" change games, so set pieces are an important advantage, to get one......our aerial threat is of joke proportions and at the other end, we all need incontinence pants, to see a corner against us pass by.

We are brilliant, when opposition teams allow us to be brilliant, when they are not up for it, or off colour.....when they get in our faces our technical players, find it difficult to apply themselves, because they have very sparse muscular help.

as a team we are lightweight, in a generalisation and that scenario has implications over 38 games in a very arduous/physical league.

I honestly believe, if we don't address this adequately, in the summer.....our long term footballing plans are toast.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Is there? Because there were empty seats everywhere last night.

If you recall this game was originally at the height of omricon. 

A few st holders last night couldn't get in as they had originally sold there ticket.  

There was a queue be of least 100 at the ticket office with this issue.

8 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve noticed when playing against a team we need to break down the fans aren’t patient with us moving it around waiting for an opening. Eventually the moans and groans get louder and the players try to force it and in most cases lose it.  

I get your point....but I see it slightly differently.

I get the patient play bit.....but we pither/dither and our game IQ is suspect in decision making.

We don't seem to have a connection with a quality ball in the box and a willing runner to attack it.

Last night, On one occasion we did and Emi made a prudent run a timely one that got on the end of McGinns cross.....my point is the strikers should be doing that....and it only happened once in the game.

I think the fans are generally quite patient 6 home wins suggest to me, they are not the issue.

I think JV and his commentator makes a good point, we play in bursts, generally.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

To be fair, the worse we play now means Gerrard will 100% know what he needs to do come the summer. 

one positive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, you might as well get used to it sooner or later. They'll probably finish above us every year for the next decade or two. 

but you have to spend it well and blend it well.....on that note, you might be right.

19 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who keep referring to the impending doom, how quiet VP is, how downbeat they are etc.

Have you ever thought that your mental conditioning and attitude towards the whole appointment might have anything to do with it?

I see this in other facets of life and on social media, people going into meltdown, then people who don't even know what they are going into meltdown about join in and it becomes a movement of core members who are genuine in the cause, and fringe members who aren't even sure what they are upset about, but they know they are upset.

Similarly to how when Trump got elected, the world was going to end, and he was going to start World War 3. It was the end of the world as we know it etc 😂

But the reality is that not one war was started, their economy was the best it had ever been etc etc. However, most people just hated him as a person, to the point where logic no longer mattered.

Now look, I don't actually care what your views are on Trump, but it's just an example of people deciding something, running with it and having to stick to their guns regardless.

It's just one of many examples of the domino effect I see with multiple subjects in modern society.

A number of people have pre determined that everything is shite and we are doomed, repeat it non stop and then wonder why they might have echos if the same sentiment?

You don't speak for a large segment of fans, but keep going and you'll eventually drown the positive fans out, and when you do, what will you have gained?

Will you have helped the cause? Or hurt it? 

Shaun, I echo your sentiments but the reality is.....everyone see's themselves as positive, only opponents of their views see them as negative.

sadly bullies don't see themselves as bullies....that is the sadest thing.

The thing for me is.....most of our views are based on conjecture, or misguided agenda's....The facts we are not always privvy to, for obvious reasons, they are kept from us.

We all watch the games and thats where most of our views come from, but we all look for different things, in games, to form our opinions.

I have strong opinions as to whats wrong, but I have to accept, I could be wrong too.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, chappy said:

Voted McGinn MOTM, manager average and ref good. Pope was the best player on the pitch and won them a point. Loved seeing Bertie get minutes.

Game was absolutely ruined for me though by an unsavoury incident on the train out to the ground (I was on my own). Few blokes being (imo) threatening/inappropriate to a couple of women and making a load of sexist remarks to them and other women on the platform. I called one out on it. Then our team was released and they were all mispronouncing Chukwuemeka (deliberately, again imo), one of them said who cares how you say his name. I called him out on this.  Maybe I should’ve kept my mouth shut both times but don't want to condone casual sexism or racism and hate to see it from villa fans. Two of them squared up to me, backed me into a corner up against the train door, offering me out at Witton, despite me repeatedly saying I wasn’t looking for trouble. They wouldn’t stop and when we got to Aston they said words to the effect of you’d better get off here. Pretty scary to be honest! Would like to thank the two lads that walked with me from Aston station to the ground if they’re on here! Just makes me sick to think we have ‘fans’ like that. Glad of the break til August now tbh.

Was they Villa Fans?

pity you couldn't have snapped them on your phone.....its always useful if you are anticipating a confrontation.

16 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

Yeah def foul throw, although quite a bit before the goal - ie far enough back that VAR felt it shouldn’t be relevant. 

I think every goal we score, somebody has something to say.

I am sure that so called advantage had no bearing on the goal whatsoever.

I suspect every goal scored could have some investigator looking at it with a forensic agenda.

did they offer any money back for writing off one of our players....who didn't even get a booking.

people ( Burnley fans) who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just saw the highlights. 

Pope should have had a drug test! 

To see if he was related to Tomaszewski

• Like 1

11 hours ago, thunderball said:

Without a forensic statistical analysis, of those in the bottom half of the table, since Gerrard joined (7 Nov) only Newcastle have done slightly better than us. No fireworks but we have been better than most in that area (including Palace and Brentford who finish above us).  Gerrard has improved us. 

We have to do much better next season, but this has been a disrupted season: managers, injuries/availability and the Grealish & Ings transitions. I am confident we will be much better.

Edit: added handy table of post Gerrard table I've just seen

Screenshot 2022-05-20 at 10.07.28.png

Interesting.

8 hours ago, TRO said:

.....Traore with all his tricks and flicks, is like a damp squib.....ineffective.....

Surely you mean a damp squid. I'm willing to bet my pedal stool on that.

• Haha 1

The display was frustrating. No way we can be pleased with dominating this much and barely getting one point. Buendia and Ings offered much needed dynamics in our attack, we need more of that.

And I can't help to think...we have bunches of talent, but too much of the time it feels like we have the handbrake on. Might...it be enough to get a really good DM to finally get this team to tick?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61534592

Burnley forward Ashley Barnes says that referees "want us gone" from the Premier League.

The 17th-placed Clarets are effectively certain of avoiding relegation if they beat Newcastle at home on Sunday (16:00 BST).

They are level on points with Leeds, who are 18th, but Burnley's goal difference is 20 better.

"In recent seasons people look at us and think we're a hard team, being ugly," 32-year-old Barnes said. 

"No disrespect, I think people, even referees, want us gone from the league."

Even at Villa Park we can't speak to Paul Tierney. Go and check the screen, that's what it's for. We just need consistency throughout the decisions."

The front on this neanderthal - he should be on a three game ban right now for elbowing Tyrone Mings. Mings is lucky not to be in hospital. 

Go down and stay down Ashley you prick.

Â