• Watkins
    • Buendía
    • Traoré (Chukwuemeka 57)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 72)
    • Ings (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/05/22 at 22:59

Plenty of fancy stuff where it didn't matter but the quality into the box, was very poor.

Cash seemed to hit the first man with every attempt.

Ings missed his fifth chance in a row.

Mings' block was the only thing between Villa and abject failure.

1 minute ago, stewiek2 said:

Just average all round really. Just like our side. Alot of questions to be asked this summer regards recruitment, system and style of play, management. We have nobody with that lethal selfishness up top. I honestly think a better midfield would make a huge difference. Cash showed today he is at best second choice his final ball was appaing today. I don't agree with Gerrard regards the spine being good. It's not midfield and up top isn't good enough. We lack serious movement off the ball and a killer instinct. As much as people are rolling their eyes at Suarez he would have buried at least two of those chances tonight. For a season I'd risk it. Bring back Archer who'll learn massively. Ollie and Ings are too nice. Buendia despite the penalty has that graft and guile.

But goodness me do we play largely in a slow lethargic way under Gerrard and that's cost us at home. It's allowed opposition to quiet the crowd and nullify momentum. This cannot happen next season.

Their keeper made several world class saves. Not for the lack of quality on the strikes either.

Hello from America. I hate Burnley so much it's unreal.

Seriously though, would've won that by miles if not for Pope. Still, need to learn to not cross the ball so much against sides sitting deep like Burnley, especially first half they just swallowed them up. Midfield still too static, the number of times someone (especially the fullbacks) would receive a pass and look to move the play forward only to find the midfielders nearest him either stationary or even moving away from the play was infuriating, will never break sides down like that. Brilliant block by Mings at the end to save the point, but should've been home and dry by then.

• Like 2

We have the talent, just don’t seem to know how to put it together meaningfully often enough or for long enough. Flashes of positivity in the final 15 minutes. Thought we started the game naively, Burnley had everything to play for, we would find 3 points easier today than any points on Sunday, we should have played for the points today rather than try against a world class team with EVERYTHING to play for in three days time.

Just now, thunderball said:

We have the talent, just don’t seem to know how to put it together meaningfully often enough or for long enough. Flashes of positivity in the final 15 minutes. Thought we started the game naively, Burnley had everything to play for, we would find 3 points easier today than any points on Sunday, we should have played for the points today rather than try against a world class team with EVERYTHING to play for in three days time.

Think we will beat City.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I thought McGinn was very good especially in the first half, Barnes was lucky not to get a red card and we should have won if it wasn't for Pope who made some outstanding saves. A disapointing result but overall we were the better team, already looking forward to see who we buy to improve the first eleven.

3 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

17 goal attempts and one goal, can you see the problem? 😂

Shooting from 22 yards consistently ain't gonna lead to many goals. 

Just now, Adam2003 said:

Yep - but for two years everyone said we would be relegated if we sold Grealish, and we weren’t. Time to build now.

We sold Grealish and brought in Coutinho, Buendia, Ings, Digne and Bailey.  Enough there that that excuse is very weak.

Thoughts…

Interesting change in tactics…we started with what was still a 4-3-3 in defense, but it looked like a 3-4-3 in attack with Dougie dropping back, the fullbacks going forward (as usual), and the centre backs going out wide. I liked it. I'm not quite sure what we were playing at the end but it was all-out attack and I liked it even better.

Buendia MOM despite giving away the penalty. (Our MOM, that is. Pope gets overall MOM because we would have won by several if he hadn’t been on his game.)

Bertie was rusty when he first came in but grew into it.

Chambers plays the ball so much better than Konsa.

Our problem against packed defences is that our off-the-ball running isn’t very good…except for Buendia and Ings. Whatever his shooting problems, Ings gets into dangerous positions. It’s no coincidence we came alive after he came on.

Chuk isn’t the finished product, but neither was JJ at this time last year. He showed a few flashes of his talent. His off-the-ball running was poor.

McGinn played well…the best passing I’ve seen from him in a while.

Mings was a rock.

Between Cash and Digne, I think SG has fullbacks who can play his system. Both were very good.

I thought the straight red on Lowton was harsh…he hit him studs up, but it wasn’t very high and I don’t think that was his intent. Careless, yes, violent, no.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, striker said:

Really poor performance overall. Much, much work to do in the summer.

You guys won 3-2, thought you’d be delighted with that come back!

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Yep - but for two years everyone said we would be relegated if we sold Grealish, and we weren’t. Time to build now.

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

Think we will beat City.

Love your all round positivity, are you new here? 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â