• Watkins
    • Buendía
    • Traoré (Chukwuemeka 57)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 72)
    • Ings (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/05/22 at 22:59

So we would be 11th tonight had we beat Burnley, an considering the season, that ain't too bad. We should have beat Burnley too, as we dominated most of the game as I saw it.  But there were 2 huge factors we didn't get the win, an one is definitely not because Gerrard is shite.

1, Burnley fighting for there lives to stay in the Premier league

2. Pope was world class tonight and kept out 3 with top top saves.

On another day as they say..............

• Like 1

We played terrible football with no intent. No purpose. No intensity and no drive. Against a side that was time wasting from the first minute. Goal kicks were abhorrent.

We've got 30m players all over the pitch but mid table is par apparently and Gerrard just needs 3 top players down the spine of the team to make it work.

I can't watch this shite anymore. I can't waste money on this total and utter garbage ball.

I wouldn't mind if we say any kind of inventiveness or energy or passion but we don't.

It's just turgid turgid utter tripe

• Like 4

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

Burnley had the higher xG, 1.63 to Villa’s 1.00. Theirs is helped by the pen, but 1.00 for Villa still isn’t great.

Because Pope made a few saves from long distances shots and a few pop shots and one fair enough top save from a header.

He wasn't incredible. People here have drank the kool aid.

Edited by rodders0223

21 minutes ago, chappy said:

Voted McGinn MOTM, manager average and ref good. Pope was the best player on the pitch and won them a point. Loved seeing Bertie get minutes.

Game was absolutely ruined for me though by an unsavoury incident on the train out to the ground (I was on my own). Few blokes being (imo) threatening/inappropriate to a couple of women and making a load of sexist remarks to them and other women on the platform. I called one out on it. Then our team was released and they were all mispronouncing Chukwuemeka (deliberately, again imo), one of them said who cares how you say his name. I called him out on this.  Maybe I should’ve kept my mouth shut both times but don't want to condone casual sexism or racism and hate to see it from villa fans. Two of them squared up to me, backed me into a corner up against the train door, offering me out at Witton, despite me repeatedly saying I wasn’t looking for trouble. They wouldn’t stop and when we got to Aston they said words to the effect of you’d better get off here. Pretty scary to be honest! Would like to thank the two lads that walked with me from Aston station to the ground if they’re on here! Just makes me sick to think we have ‘fans’ like that. Glad of the break til August now tbh.

Sad people with sad lives and probably too much booze.  Thankfully these types are more rare nowadays... Glad you made it out safe... 

• Thanks 1

Pretty underwhelmed by that performance, but its been the same for most of the season. Not trying to be overly pessimistic but really not seeing any sustained improvement. The speed of pass tonight basically resembled an end of season testimonial performance - big changes required, but not sure if we have the right personnel (from DOF down) to identify what's needed and how to implement it.

I'm not a stats man but I'd really like it if one of the guys on here had numbers on forward / sideways / backwards passes. We just seem so negative and 'unbrave' on the ball. I'm just staggered that the passing triangle between Mings/Konsa/Cash hasn't worn grooves in the pitch....

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We played terrible football with no intent. No purpose. No intensity and no drive. Against a side that was time wasting from the first minute. Goal kicks were abhorrent.

We've got 30m players all over the pitch but mid table is par apparently and Gerrard just needs 3 top players down the spine of the team to make it work.

I can't watch this shite anymore. I can't waste money on this total and utter garbage ball.

I wouldn't mind if we say any kind of inventiveness or energy or passion but we don't.

It's just turgid turgid utter tripe

We have 30m players all over the pitch because we massively overpaid for most of them.....thoroughly agree on what we seem to have become. 

We're beating Watford twice away from being 8th..

We're in transition from one thing, to another.

Make or break for Steve G next year, but he has got to get us performing in those tough winter months.

Disappointing result but Burnley are fighting for their premier league lives and had a very defensive shape.  We played well in periods in the second half but we need to move the ball round quicker sometimes. So we are likely to finish 14th with 45 points which is more or less halfway between last season (11, 55) and our first year back up (17, 35). Our first year of regression under our new owners but hopefully by giving Gerrard the summer it will give him time to evolve the team so that we can really challenge for a top half finish.

A checklist for me next season is to get a proper class defensive midfielder in who can pass, improve ball retention,  add width, and have a good set piece deliver.

Burnley may well stay up but they can't defy gravity for long and I can see them having a horrendous year next season. Ageing small town  team with owners who are not investing. 

Edited by The Fun Factory

While I understand it's tough to find a lot of options to break down a team that sits back and packs the box, it's so frustrating to see us constantly trying to cross the ball when they've had plenty of time to set up and get numbers in there.   The odds of anything coming of it are so slim, particularly when the defenders are bigger and better in the air than our forwards.   Then compound it by having a full back hit the first man on almost every attempted cross. :bang:

One of the reasons we're crossing into a box full of settled defenders is because of what others have mentioned:   We get up the field much to slowly and give them time to settle.   It obviously can't be avoided in a lot of cases, when we don't win possession with a chance to break.   But i would submit that in those cases we'd be better off trying to work an opening for a shot outside the box, as we have a few who can strike the ball well.   We actually did have a few of those today, perhaps for that reason, but a number of our long attempts where in transition when the defense hadn't set up and we might actually have been able to create a higher percentage chance.

Big summer and pre-season ahead.  With the addition of a few better players for the starting 11, as seems to be the intent, we SHOULD be cracking top half next year without too much trouble.   If we don't Gerrard will have some 'splainin' to do.

• Like 2

Shockingly dirty performance from a bunch of desperate cloggers in Burnley. Their lad should have gone for the elbow on Mings in the first half never mind Lowton later on. Filthy team. Same ones who did Wesley of course.

As for us we were as we have been all season long. Lots of huff & puff with little end product. Spent most of the game in the same mode as the Palace game just running round in circles with little to no penetration and weak finishing on the rare occasion we created a decent chance. Their keeper was busy making basic saves from what I saw. One or two were decent but all ones he would be expected to make.

Great perfomance from Mings who got my vote for MOTM.

14th is diabolical for this squad in my eyes. Should have at least been top 10 but shocking displays against the likes of Watford x2, Wolves x2 Brentford x2, & weak away performances against Newcastle, Southampton etc have really undermined us and nothing at all from the Scummy 6 is just poor.

It's all just so ....Meh! 

Serious work needed in the Summer.

3 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Well, you might as well get used to it sooner or later. They'll probably finish above us every year for the next decade or two. 

Of course but this season they really should not have, we had such a big lead on them and regardless of the Newcastle form which has been impressive but we should have still finished ahead of them

Â