• Watkins
    • Buendía
    • Traoré (Chukwuemeka 57)
    • Coutinho (Ramsey 72)
    • Ings (Watkins 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/05/22 at 22:59

16 hours ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I expect a minimum of two new players in the first XI (CB+DM). Probably one more, at most two more (CM+another CB).

7 or 8 of the first team are good enough! We only need 3

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

Villa had 22 shots and only 9 were on target, which suggests that Villa's lousy shooting had more to do with it.

Cash's habit of trying to beat the goalkeeper at his near-post is wasteful and annoying.

Finishing 14th can't really be considered much of an achievement by any stretch of the imagination.

No but the progress can be seen clearly on the pitch. We are very close to 9th.  A few tweaks and we can be top 8 easily

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skell said:

No but the progress can be seen clearly on the pitch. We are very close to 9th.  A few tweaks and we can be top 8 easily

Goal difference is the biggest measure of how well a team is doing IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Some of our play was excellent, and I thought Douglas Luis was outstanding, particularly in the first half. We dominated possession throughout and we constantly and consistently got the ball into dangerous areas - into the corners, around the box and across it. The first half of this game was a talented ten year old fighting a three hundred pound asthmatic man in a mobility scooter - we threw a million harmless punches and then got caught by a lazy but potent slap.

Our problem is particularly pronounced - we're very often the better of the two sides and very rarely the winner.

I think they see that, I think they'll fix that and I think there are signs n our patterns of play that we're improving, even though results haven't caught up with us yet.

A frustrating season, particularly at home, that I think we can in part put down to growing pains.

And while Leeds would be funnier, I won't be sorry to see the back of these if they go - Barnes's elbow on Mings could have left him in the hospital and it wasn't the only one he threw - nor was it out of character for this side over the last couple of years - they're an unpleasant experience and surprisingly poorly supported, they wouldn't be missed. 

I know it's a game of opinions but I didn't think Luiz did anything of note all game. He was better than Chuk but that isn't really much of a barometer. McGinn was our best midfielder by a distance and Mings and Buendia (stupid challenge aside) were our best performers IMO. 

Think it was a 6/10 performance, had a lot of the ball but huffed and puffed without creating a lot of real clear cut chances and of course Pope played very well.

I wanted us to win (impossible not to in any game), but now the dust has settled it is nice to see Leeds back in the bottom three - Though after watching thuggish Burnley close up again I won't be overly disappointed if it was them that were to be relegated!

I saw the 3 key decisions in the game (maybe with Villa specs on, maybe not) like this - Barnes elbow should have been a red. He knew exactly what he was doing and where Mings was. How a free kick wasn't given beggars belief. I thought that Lowton's was also a red. I think he has purposely left something on Chambers ( but if that had been given as a yellow, I wouldn't have been outraged - IE I have seen worse) and I don't think it was hand ball by Digne - and if it did touch his hand it would have been harsh when Barnes had his feet chest high!

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Antonio Conte went to Chelsea and made David Luiz a competent defender and Victor Moses a wing back even though never played there before

Its a cop out

If you can't see the progress you are blind. We are making great steps. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

...because we all know we are light in midfield and he's putting up top 5 in the league tackling numbers, while also arguably being our third most creative player after Coutinho and Buendia. I get his odd technical flaws and occassional inconsistency put some people off him but he'd be a massive miss in the team as it is at present.

17 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

I don't feel like that's the concensus amongst fans and I'm not sure I can think of many good reasons for not wanting to sign him, so would be interested to hear yours?

Even with the recent barren spell he's still at over 0.5 goals or assists per 90. Full season at that rate your getting 15-20 combined goals and assists from him if he keeps that up. Not sure how that's not worth the what we've paid for him.

The drop off in goals and assists looks in part like a slight change in role and position. In 9 games since his last goal when compared to his previous games he's up on 35% on touches, 11% on pressures, 158% on tackles, 130% on interceptions. He's completing 61% more passes at 84% completion, up from 78%, while progressive passes are up 36% and progressive carries are up 73%. This looks to me like he's playing deeper and having an impact on ball progression more than creating chances, although his shot creating actions stat is only actually down 15% from a pretty high 3.94 per 90 (which would put him 12th in the league)

Lol why have these posts been moved here?!

MOTM for me was Buendia, constantly getting involved and didn't disappear.

Mings for the block of the season surely, Man is a leader.

Great pass from McGinn for the assist.

Digne also looking a great buy and improvement.

Burnley are a horrid Anti-football team, they play the man rather than the ball. I dislike Leeds and their fans but Burnley don't play football.

Barnes should have gone for the elbow, Nolan could have had three yellow cards.

Pope had a great game to be fair.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who keep referring to the impending doom, how quiet VP is, how downbeat they are etc.

Have you ever thought that your mental conditioning and attitude towards the whole appointment might have anything to do with it?

I see this in other facets of life and on social media, people going into meltdown, then people who don't even know what they are going into meltdown about join in and it becomes a movement of core members who are genuine in the cause, and fringe members who aren't even sure what they are upset about, but they know they are upset.

Similarly to how when Trump got elected, the world was going to end, and he was going to start World War 3. It was the end of the world as we know it etc 😂

But the reality is that not one war was started, their economy was the best it had ever been etc etc. However, most people just hated him as a person, to the point where logic no longer mattered.

Now look, I don't actually care what your views are on Trump, but it's just an example of people deciding something, running with it and having to stick to their guns regardless.

It's just one of many examples of the domino effect I see with multiple subjects in modern society.

A number of people have pre determined that everything is shite and we are doomed, repeat it non stop and then wonder why they might have echos if the same sentiment?

You don't speak for a large segment of fans, but keep going and you'll eventually drown the positive fans out, and when you do, what will you have gained?

Will you have helped the cause? Or hurt it? 

Ummmmm…. That was maybe the most daft, illogical metaphor I think I’ve read in a long time.😳

14 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The people who keep referring to the impending doom, how quiet VP is, how downbeat they are etc.

Have you ever thought that your mental conditioning and attitude towards the whole appointment might have anything to do with it?

I see this in other facets of life and on social media, people going into meltdown, then people who don't even know what they are going into meltdown about join in and it becomes a movement of core members who are genuine in the cause, and fringe members who aren't even sure what they are upset about, but they know they are upset.

Similarly to how when Trump got elected, the world was going to end, and he was going to start World War 3. It was the end of the world as we know it etc 😂

But the reality is that not one war was started, their economy was the best it had ever been etc etc. However, most people just hated him as a person, to the point where logic no longer mattered.

Now look, I don't actually care what your views are on Trump, but it's just an example of people deciding something, running with it and having to stick to their guns regardless.

It's just one of many examples of the domino effect I see with multiple subjects in modern society.

A number of people have pre determined that everything is shite and we are doomed, repeat it non stop and then wonder why they might have echos if the same sentiment?

You don't speak for a large segment of fans, but keep going and you'll eventually drown the positive fans out, and when you do, what will you have gained?

Will you have helped the cause? Or hurt it? 

Totally agree but I don’t think certain views will change when we do well. It just goes quiet until the next poor game. 

20 hours ago, Dale said:

A lot of the teams above us aren't exactly stacked with world class players... Much more bang average in fact if you're looking at Brentford, Newcastle, Brighton, Palace. Even Ham/Wolves aren't stacked with better players than us - we should at a minimum be competing with those guys. 

So I agree, top ten is minimum even with little turnover (a DM incoming). 

You are looking at technical Ability v Durability.

It has been proved this season that technical ability alone, does not always get you over the line.......Traore with all his tricks and flicks, is like a damp squib.....ineffective......but I am not dismissing it, with these comments.

Those teams you have mentioned has addressed this and have far more about them in terms of durability......They are not easy to play against.....We are.

18 defeats this season is poor, and it spells something out, if we are prepared to look for it and not just overlook it.

Last night was reflective of much of the season, irrespective of the line up.

We need to remember, Technical players need to be effective too.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think when coutinho stops having to drop deep into our own half to get the ball moving we might see more from him. And I trust Gerrard to sort our midfield in the summer 

and does it need sorting?.....Oh it does.

16 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

Six home wins all season. So poor.

No getting away from it.....its worse than poor, its unacceptable.

To get the crowds we have , have been impressive.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m really concerned that we just cannot seem to score or finish games off. We haven’t won from a losing position all season.

but thats more than just technical abilty, which we seem to harp on about.

16 hours ago, romavillan said:

I'm not sure that's true, Watkins has already shown us with the right service he scores at this level. Ings has consistently done it for years too. 

You coudl say the same abotu every area of the pitch for us, which is the problem in my eyes. We're either a few great players away or we're not getting enough out of what we've got. Maybe that's not mutually exclusive either but I worry we'll spend big and find out it hasn't worked. We can play some very nice football and we're equally capable of playing badly and inviting the opposition to have a go. It's been said we need a great 6, new CB, fullbacks, striker.... Personally I'm not sure our problems can entirely be resolved with the chequebook. 

Thats my worry too.....and we can't keep doing that.

For what we have spent ( albeit, questionable) 14th is not good.

I am still clinging to the hope, we have gone too long, without players with Defensive nous...CDM in the main.

I think its affecting too many other parts of the team......but I will be clearer, once we have addressed it.

I also think midfield in general is not right.

I also have concerns of the stature of our team....one player over six feet, invites the opposition to bully us.....I don't want a team full of giants, but adequate balance of height in the team gives us more options, particulary at set pieces.....blimey corners are no better than throw ins to us.

I have harped on about it.....but this team is not balanced right....and I don't see much change, until it is.

• Like 1

It’s disappointing that we look like finishing in 14th, 5 points clear of Southampton. We look like finishing bottom of that group that aren’t going to get relegated but won’t make Europe. 

Need to push on next season and be looking at 8th and up! 

Â