Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/22 at 23:00

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Another thing.

While today was indeed  POOR.

I find we have a sense of entitlement when it comes to certain opposition.

As if we are the only ones with a PlayStation controller.

Palace are a decent side, on our day we are a decent side.

Two mid table teams. Our main downfall is our lack of physicality, this makes us panic and almost forget how to pass ffs.

Our head to head this season is we've won one, and drawn one.

Spot on. Until we have the players who are more physical we will struggle against teams like palace. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Still on my way back from VP and surprised nobody has mentioned Palace set up in a 541 today. It was almost impossible to break down.

Once nicked a goal from nowhere thanks to Digne's cross they had to change shape and that's why we improved and looked more threatening.

We shouldn't have allowed them an equaliser but we did enough to win it after they scored. Watkins' dragged effort was woeful.

Nakamba gave the ball away too much and our midfield lacks muscle - which Gerrard pointed out after West Ham away too.

In the summer I'd replace Konsa, Nakamba and get a new striker who is more clinical.

A good CDM enables us to play Coutinho and Buendia together behind a striker who can get in behind and hit the target.

Right now the midfield options are so unbalanced it's always going to be hit and miss.

Onwards and upwards.

**** Zaha.

I thought it was a 5-3-2 but definitely 5 at the back and tough to break down.

Fans winding up Zaha is always my favourite part of playing Palace.

Edited by WallisFrizz
Forgot Zaha.
  • Like 2

Just now, WallisFrizz said:

I thought it was a 5-3-2 but definitely 5 at the back and tough to break down.

On defense, yes, but in attack they kept 3 at the back and got their wingbacks forward...that's how they kept Cash and Digne pinned back for much of the game.

14 minutes ago, skell said:

I think Palace are an excellent team. We had plenty of the ball but made stupid.passes. nakamba and mcginn more.guilty than most. I suspect Gerrard is waiting for a strong central midfielder before ih plays emi and Phil together 

They are not excellent they are a bog standard mid table side. If we have aspirations to try and qualify for Europe these games have to be home bankers. Which I presume will be the target (arguable if its realistic) for next season.

Playing for 10th just isn't enough to enliven this squad, and middleness in the table is a tricky place because you're almost supremely demotivated.

I'll take anywhere between 8 and 14 over Division II all day long, sure. The problem is, I don't think we break out of middleness solely on the hopeful high NRG of early-season play. We need to be able to push beyond the need to rely on extreme outcomes as a source of motivation. We need to dig deeper, and we're not yet, at least not consistently, and we need some new players, too.

2 hours ago, VBM said:

If we are consistently inconsistent does that mean we are consistent?

Dysfunctional midfield at it again, not sure what the answer is but what we are doing doesn't work. 

The answer is to sign two new midfielders. At least. 

No system will make our midfield look like a top ten unit. We may improve as a team, but the same problems will be there. This is the third season we’ve been playing with Nakamba, Luiz and McGinn in some capacity and we’ve looked rubbish in there for the entirety. 

We need to spend big, either on wages or transfer fees on the central midfield area in the Summer otherwise it will be the same old story. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Who?

Mcginn

Too eager to go long which is usually aimless, when he does play it short he doesn't look capable of doing the 5 yard pass and move triangle stuff that Emi, Coutinho and Ramsey were doing, was a few times cash didn't look a happy boy with sloppy passes played out to him from mcginn 

Dunno if his game is all energy and that does extend to the passing just hold the ball

• Like 1

Boring game, why Beundia does not  start is beyond me and raises the biggest question on Gerrard, if he's carrying an injury then being him off after the first half. 

If we're going to improve next season then we need two midfielders and both of them have to be better than Dougie, McGinn and definitely Nakamba ( basically they need to be our best players)

Ramsey is a star in the making and a joy to watch, Coutinho is flakey.

MOTM, Martinez.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

They are not excellent they are a bog standard mid table side. If we have aspirations to try and qualify for Europe these games have to be home bankers. Which I presume will be the target (arguable if its realistic) for next season.

Sorry. That quote smells of arrogance. The last time I looked we were also of the same level. I have watched Palace a few times and have been impressed . Solid and creative. Next year, assuming we make a couple of good signings we should be looking to win these games. Home bankers ? That's stretching it alittle.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, skell said:

Sorry. That quote smells of arrogance. The last time I looked we were also of the same level. I have watched Palace a few times and have been impressed . Solid and creative. Next year, assuming we make a couple of good signings we should be looking to win these games. Home bankers ? That's stretching it alittle.

That right. We are also bog standard. That is why we are both mid table.

If we want to finish higher next season we have to be better and beat sides like Palace at home.

That isn't arrogance that is stating the bleedin obvious.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jareth said:

Can't blame the manager for literally every player giving the ball away all game

Even poor players can pass a ball.  He's had plenty of time to coach them to do the basics but still the same errors game after game.

Look at the turnaround at Newcastle for instance.  That's the sort of impact a good coach has on a mediocre squad.  SG just hasn't done that with us.

6 home wins all season is quite shitty, just checking the stats. Lambert got ten home wins in each of the seasons he managed and we were a disgrace at that time

Palace are a big, physical side who we usually Labour against, today was no different. The removal of Ings and the introduction of JJ and EMI changed the dynamic. We desperately need more steel and physicality in the middle.

we were strangely devoid of ideas in the final third, and ended up passing back to Mings on several attacks - very strange?

I have no idea why McGinn plays or what he offers. Half our problem is him taking a starting place over someone who actually does anything productive. Replace him in the summer and we finish 4 places higher.

9 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

That right. We are also bog standard. That is why we are both mid table.

If we want to finish higher next season we have to be better and beat sides like Palace at home.

That isn't arrogance that is stating the bleedin obvious.

Very true but to suggest its a home banker would be unfair to Palace now and probably naive to do so next year. 

8 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Look at the turnaround at Newcastle for instance.  That's the sort of impact a good coach has on a mediocre squad.  SG just hasn't done that with us.

Lol. As it stands there’s not much between the two. 7th vs us 8th in ppg table since both managers’ arrivals. 4 points difference. We’ve scored 7 more and conceded 7 fewer as well. Not sure how you can conclude Newcastle have had a great turnaround and we haven’t.

Â