Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

162 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/22 at 23:00

Just now, Jareth said:

Can't blame the manager for literally every player giving the ball away all game

Blame the system, formation, game plan, players chosen, instructions given. Pick one. All of those factors influence how the players perform.

A rough example: if players stand still because of instruction and we play with no width a player can often be on the ball with no-one to pass to. What does he do? Lump it forward. That's not his fault. That is the managements fault because of how we are set up.

• Like 3

Emi kept us in with some great saves but we were so shit in midfield in the first half.

Second half we were the better team after the subs and should have won it at the end, so 1-1 fair result imho

There were some very iffy performances today which made Palaces change of shape look like so kind of masterstroke.

Marvelous, Mcginn and Konsa were miles off it today, and we tend to collapse when we are carrying any passengers.

Marvelous was up to his usual trick of giving the ball back to the opposition at the worst tim during transition. Im not sure if what he offers in solidity to the midfield makes up for it....definitely not today.

Mcginn just wanted to fight today, it must be a horrible job marking Saha as hes such an annoying pest, however he has to concentrate on his own game, especially off the ball. This was also the mcginn that simply wont pass simple to keep possession, vital when you are under the cosh. Constant overhitting of punted long balls kept momentum firmly in Palaces grasp.

As for Konsa I dont know what has changed in his game but his confidence seems shot. When ever the ball came near him it seemed to bounce off him.

As for positives you just have to love Phils one touch play, its mouthwatering for next season when we can firm up that midfield and play him 20 yards further up the pitch.

Digne once again showed touches of quality.

Buendia once again gave us new options in attack, at times it seemed to work better with Phil too.

In short though there was only one team that deserved to win, Im not sure if you can put that all on the poor performers shoulders. Gerrard saw as much as we did that something needed changing in that midfield after the first half hour, yet waited till the obligatory 60/70 mark to do anything. 

It was sheer luck we got anything out of today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Can't blame the manager for literally every player giving the ball away all game

Seriously ?? Considering he is responsible for the on field results/performances - he has to take steps in coaching training  sessions to minimize giving the ball away.

Not just SG - any football coach.

After watching two really impressive performances I was starting to believe we’d turned the corner under Gerrard, but today seems like another step back. Everything felt too slow and nothing seemed to click.

I do like Nakamba but as nearly every side sits so deep when off the ball and he’s so uncomfortable on the ball that I think a lot breaks down when he receives it. Even more so when we’re passing it backwards to him.

When Buendia came on he made a difference as he seems to every week. His through balls are really excellent alongside great desire and work rate.

The last 5 or 10 minutes was impressive and very enjoyable but it also makes what’s come before it look even worse.

Really hoping for plenty of minutes for Chukwuemeka in the Burnley game. How about a midfield of Ramsey, Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam in a meaningless game?

Obviously need more experience for the Man City game.

Just now, dufresne1947 said:

Really hoping for plenty of minutes for Chukwuemeka in the Burnley game. How about a midfield of Ramsey, Chukwuemeka and Iroegbunam in a meaningless game?

I’d love to see this but I’m pretty sure if we lost the reaction on here would not be “oh well it was meaningless” ;)

8 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

I'm puzzled by how poor Coutinho has been lately. 

Winning headers and collecting long balls isn't his forte so he's kinda wasted in the way we play.

30 minutes ago, Awol said:

Different side with JJ and (shock) Emi playing.

That result is on SG’s team selection imo, but lots to do in the summer. 

Lots to do in the summer, indeed.  Just not sure I trust SG to do it.

Â