The Re-hashed, Back door European Super League Scandal

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

Don’t these two paragraphs contract each other?

I think you’d be hard pressed to find many who think the current Champions League arrangements are good. They lock out teams from outside the ‘big six’ I’d be open to a new suggestion for how European competition should work.

Having said that, I don’t trust the chairmen of Real Madrid and Juventus to come up with a good format. 

How does it lock teams out ?? 4 spaces in one league is quite generous in my opinion. Before it was one then two and now its four. I think yes its hard for clubs like villa but not impossible 

This firmat will make ir even harder

What else are Barca, Juve and Madrid expected to do? This is them staring down the barrel of the slow decline of their clubs piece by piece over the next decade. In the case of Barca and Juve they're in a desperate state right now. 

The Premier League had won. It's over. For a team or teams to Leave the PL and join a breakaway competition they would need to move the franchise abroad and leave the country. They would also lose the court cases against the PL who have changed the rulebook to state no team can discuss a breakaway League while a member of the PL. So club would need to resign from the League legally to negotiate joining another League. Then a UK Government can just deny them doing this with the football regulator. So again need to move your company (ie the name and rights etc..) abroad to new stadium in new League.

I think the only solution for the Juve, Barca etc.. clubs is to try make it Super League vs Premier League. Still kill off the Champions League by setting up the rival to it. PL can't take part but over time might want to join etc.. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CVByrne said:

What else are Barca, Juve and Madrid expected to do?

Invent their own popular sport that they build from the ground up like the UK did with football 😀 

Or join the 3 teams together as 1 massive club and rotate the home games or just give up and pack it all in.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Invent their own popular sport that they build from the ground up like the UK did with football 😀 

Or join the 3 teams together as 1 massive club and rotate the home games or just give up and pack it all in.

They have started. Pique has set up his own 6 a side league in which managers pick cards that can earn instant penalty kicks, flipping the score and red cards for opponents among other things

I am not even joking

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

They have started. Pique has set up his own 6 a side league in which managers pick cards that can earn instant penalty kicks, flipping the score and red cards for opponents among other things

I am not even joking

Sounds like a sport desperate for the inclusion of something that sounds like a formation but also gets people thinking as that game goes along.

The introduction of a "3-2-1 featuring Ted Rogers" section every 10 minutes seems the only logical way to go for them now.  Win a speed boat and all that.

This will make playing in the PL completely pointless as teams like us will just be fighting out for 8th each year. The Top 7 will be given so much extra money for participating in the ESL that we won't be able to compete.

**** them off and let teams who are interested in football over money actually play enjoyable games each week.

13 hours ago, CVByrne said:

What else are Barca, Juve and Madrid expected to do? This is them staring down the barrel of the slow decline of their clubs piece by piece over the next decade. In the case of Barca and Juve they're in a desperate state right now. 

And who's fault is that? Both clubs have been mismanaged resulting in their own downfall. It's up to la Liga and serie A to get their own leagues back to a higher level. The premier League has marketed itself well and it's reaping the rewards now. Italian football is run by Italians and that's why it's fallen off it's perch as the top league in Europe. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa89 said:

And who's fault is that? Both clubs have been mismanaged resulting in their own downfall. It's up to la Liga and serie A to get their own leagues back to a higher level. The premier League has marketed itself well and it's reaping the rewards now. Italian football is run by Italians and that's why it's fallen off it's perch as the top league in Europe. 

man utd aside but I think that's more peacocking than anything else the PL has managed to do well in not necessarily tying itself down to superstar players, there's obviously influxes with players such as salah and son but nothing in comparison to what barca and juve are basing their marketing and revenue on, they've built a castle on sand whereas PL teams haven't they've built it on the rock solid foundation of the TV deal

11 minutes ago, villa89 said:

The premier League has marketed itself well and it's reaping the rewards now.

To be fair to European football,  they haven't and never will have the tool box the Premier League has.

Loads of people watch MOTD in Holland every single week.  Whatever the reason is for this,  I doubt it can be replicated.  

14 hours ago, CVByrne said:

So again need to move your company (ie the name and rights etc..) abroad to new stadium in new League.

I know this is an odd bit to pick out, but I don't think they can do this - the thing the government brought in about registering things as cultural and community assets means that I don't think an owner can take say "Manchester City" out of Manchester - it's now a registered cultural asset to the city and community and I think this would be resisted by government and that they would have to secure a large majority approval from their fanbase. There's some peculiar rules around what is included in that asset (and the rules were a factor in our recent badge redesign) but it might well be the case, that whilst an owner that owns the rights could take the Manchester City brand and launch it in a city in the Middle East, there would still be the right for a team called Manchester City, playing in light blue, with a Manchester City badge to be situated in Manchester - and I know which of those would end up being considered as 'actual' Manchester City.

The funny thing is the PL is nowhere near reaching its full potential. If it had its own network to stream the games, they would make billions more a year in revenue. The fact that most of the games still can't be watched legally in this country is laughable. 

Imagine having every game available in 4K, full match replays available all year round, charging £19.99 a month. They would make £1.2b a year off just 5 million people in this country alone. Add all the other countries around the world and you're talking obscene amounts of money. 

They can even improve the content by having referee interviews, mic'ed up referees, more camera angles available etc etc. 

Edited by villarule123

2 minutes ago, villarule123 said:

The funny thing is the PL is nowhere near reaching its full potential. If it had its own network to stream the games, they would make billions more a year in revenue. The fact that most of the games still can't be watched legally in this country is laughable. 

Imagine having every game available in 4K, full match replays available all year round, charging £19.99 a month. They would make £1.2b a year off just 5 million people in this country alone. Add all the other countries around the world and you're talking obscene amounts of money. 

The problem is the larger clubs want to do this for themselves with their own TV deals charging £20 a month for just their games but then sell it worldwideso they get the billions just for themselves. They don't want to share equally with smaller clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

To be fair to European football,  they haven't and never will have the tool box the Premier League has.

Loads of people watch MOTD in Holland every single week.  Whatever the reason is for this,  I doubt it can be replicated.  

In the early nineties Serie A was basically a European super league with all the top players in the world playing there. Everyone watched the Series A highlights with AC Jimbo. Remember Bari buying one David Platt? They had the opportunity to remain the biggest and best league in the world and they blew it through mismanagement. Italian football hasn't moved on from the 80's, the premier league modernised itself. Look at the stadiums in Italy versus what we have in England? It's night and day.  

Of course the premier league had some advantages to help them but the European leagues just keep doing the same thing they've always done and then complain that they are being left behind. 

Edited by villa89
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

The problem is the larger clubs want to do this for themselves with their own TV deals charging £20 a month for just their games but then sell it worldwideso they get the billions just for themselves. They don't want to share equally with smaller clubs.

That would still require 14 teams in the Premier League voting for that to be allowed, another thing that makes the Premier League better than all the others, there aren't 2/3 teams calling all the shots. 

16 hours ago, MachoFantastico said:

See some clubs have already had their say

Can't say I'm surprised. It'll be dead in the water, at least here in England. 

Clubs only care about money. They don't care about the fans or "the good of the game".

The Premier League is a ridiculous cash cow. If that wasn't the case (see La Liga / Serie A) then the PL clubs would be all over this. 

The Premier League have proven legal recourse to eliminate them from the competition if they go to the Superleague. There's more money to be made from the PL, at the moment.

Â