• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

I think we can safely file UB40 away along side other such bands as The Clash, Simply Red, Wet Wet Wet and Club Culture. The Eighties have to be the worst decade for music, even bands with different styles somehow managed to sound the same must be something to do with the production I guess. But granted there will be some good stuff from the era.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

...The Eighties have to be the worst decade for music.....

Only in the same way that any decade is percieved that way if all you do is kind of skim listen to the "chart" and mainstream radioplay music.

Comparing The Clash to Wet Wet Wet or UB40 is a crime :)

• Like 4

I think we can safely file UB40 away along side other such bands as The Clash, Simply Red, Wet Wet Wet and Club Culture. The Eighties have to be the worst decade for music, even bands with different styles somehow managed to sound the same must be something to do with the production I guess. But granted there will be some good stuff from the era.

you may be right but I switched off the radio sometime around 1999 and never switched it back on again so cant say with any real authority  ...  but the snippets i hear now and again whilst out and about suggest the current decade takes some beating in the worse ever stakes , closely followed by the 2000's

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

you may be right but I switched off the radio sometime around 1999 and never switched it back on again so cant say with any real authority  ...  but the snippets i hear now and again whilst out and about suggest the current decade takes some beating in the worse ever stakes , closely followed by the 2000's

In terms of the charts most definitely. In reality though theres been some fantastic stuff out there, you just have to do a bit of research.

Going back to the eighties, again probably the most diverse and musically important decade. A decade of invention and exploration, similarly though you won't find all of it in the charts, though some of the good stuff did make it in there, these days it doesn't at all because the chart is dominated by downloads, and downloads are disposable music for the disposable generation. If they had a separate download and physical media chart I suspect they'd look vastly different

• Like 3

Totally agree, worst decade by a country mile.

Even my favourite artists Bob Dylan and Neil Young were churning out their worst albums, before recovering in the 90s.

• Like 1

...The Eighties have to be the worst decade for music.....

Only in the same way that any decade is percieved that way if all you do is kind of skim listen to the "chart" and mainstream radioplay music

Of the top of my head I can't think of much 'alternative/underground' music from that era that piques my interest, maybe a couple of private press synth lps that I might like, but overall I think it was a pretty lame time for music across the board, maybe something to do with the musical and production technologies that were in vogue then.

Comparing The Clash to Wet Wet Wet or UB40 is a crime :)

The Clash are to Punk as UB40 are to Reggae, listening to 'Train in Vain' yesterday and it sounded like something from the Dirty Dancing soundtrack, :) , the Wet Wet Wet comparison was probably a bit unfair though.

Edited by useless

ahhh, the 1980's

I had a copy of 'So What?' by the Anti Nowhere League and thought I was at the pointy end of the coming revolution.

But then I also had a whole bunch of Soft Cell 12" singles (fnarr), so who knows where my head was at. I loved Soft Cell because my dad hated them.

• Like 1

For me music in the 80's was either brilliant or awful.  No middle ground.

• Like 1

I discovered most of the brilliant 80s bands / artists later. At the time I was probably listening to Queen, Michael Jackson and various "oldies". There's some terrible music from the decade, but there's also tons of really great stuff. From Post Punk to Indie Pop, No Wave to the start of Grunge. Hip Hop to Dance Hall and Ragga. There really is so much worth listening to.  

Coldplay.

They put one hell of a show on when they perform live. Which further cements the fact that without some kind of crazy light show, you're effectively paying a lot of money to watch some planks of wood on stage playing the music you should listen to watching the beige paint you just coated the planks of wood with dry.

I'm surprised Queen haven't had more votes. A couple of decent tracks, but overall I'd rather listen to my car alarm.

I'd say that Queen, maybe pre Killer Queen and defo pre Rhapsody, were actually underrated, Once they penned the "operatic classic" it was all downhill as their record sales and bank balances went through the roof. 

Listen to Liar then Fat Bottomed Girls for proof, like 2 different bands completely.

• Like 2

Â