• Black Sabbath
    • Oasis
    • Lynard Skynard
    • The Allman Brothers
    • Coldplay
    • Nirvana
    • The Beatles
    • Queen

I remember when it wasn't trendy to hate U2  .. I suspect most of the haters are just angry because they can no longer squeeze into their "War" T-shirt any longer

Only saw them twice, either side of the War album release both times at the Brum Odeon. Played virtually the same set with the same speech bits by bonehead inbetween songs, he climbed the speaker stacks at the same points in the same set. Utterly hated them from that point onwards.

I was a massive Led Zep fan when I was 17. Still like some of their stuff, like Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, and a handful of others. But I can't listen to a lot of their stuff now. The guitar solo in Heartbreaker is laughably bad. The heavy handed drumming and squealing vocals gets redundant very fast too. Still like 'em, just much less nowadays.

I was a massive Led Zep fan when I was 17. Still like some of their stuff, like Black Dog, Misty Mountain Hop, and a handful of others. But I can't listen to a lot of their stuff now. The guitar solo in Heartbreaker is laughably bad. The heavy handed drumming and squealing vocals gets redundant very fast too. Still like 'em, just much less nowadays.

Heard some radio DJ say that Zep's 'Heartbreaker' was almost perfect, except that it was ruined by the awful guitar solo.

I would like it on record that I LOVE that guitar solo, and that it's my favourite bit of a great track.

Still a huge LZ fan.

I don't hate U2, but I do hate Bono.

I don't particularly like them either to be fair.

But that performance I saw didn't seem very "them". Much more toned down. I quite enjoyed it, which I wasn't expecting

Don't own any Beatles. Never really felt the need.

I do have dozens, perhaps hundreds, of covers of their songs.

From everywhere too, think all the continents are covered bar Antarctica.

Full symphony orchestras and blokes with hairy drums in the Himalayas have their own takes.

That sort of global cultural penetration and acceptance, pre-internet, is pretty far out.

• Like 3

Don't own any Beatles. Never really felt the need.

I do have dozens, perhaps hundreds, of covers of their songs.

From everywhere too, think all the continents are covered bar Antarctica.

Full symphony orchestras and blokes with hairy drums in the Himalayas have their own takes.

That sort of global cultural penetration and acceptance, pre-internet, is pretty far out.

On a visit to Kenya to take in some safari's a night in the bush (fnaar), a beach and reef break and a trip to Kilimanjaro (we've all done it), I noticed that everywhere we went from hotel reception to Mombasa restaurants to boats to safari lodge the only two songs any of the bands knew were House of the Rising Sun and Batchelor Boy.

By day 3 the whole group of us would surprise whatever local band struck up the tune by wholeheartedly joining in and belting out the words.

By day 4 there were grumblings of shut the **** up if we saw somebody go anywhere near a bongo.

Apart from Bono's dickery the most annoying thing about U2 is how they are lauded over without releasing a decent record in over 20 years.

cough  2006 cough

http://vimeo.com/5431310

they almost managed to get the guitar bits as good as the original as well

Edited by tonyh29

i see where your coming from on the solo but i must admit i like it especially near the end of the solo when the drums kick back in. i dont think page played anything like that again and i always thought it was not his kind of style, its as if it was just kind of rushed and not thought about but it works. thing i love about zep is they get you moving and you can actually kind of dance to their music. great band and up there with the best if not the best.

I'm of a similar opinion but I would say that their first album is a masterpiece. It's the only one I still listen to on a semi-regular basis and it never gets old.

• Like 1

I'm of a similar opinion but I would say that their first album is a masterpiece. It's the only one I still listen to on a semi-regular basis and it never gets old.

I was reading a Jimmy Page interview in Uncut the other day and there's a question submitted by Mr Anita Dobson of Queen. The poodle haired axe murderer was asking Mr Page how the hell to play Black Dog as he'd been trying to work it out for decades and never managed it. More evidence imo that Queen are indeed an over rated pompous bloat fest of a band and Zep are the real deal.

from start to finish led zep 1 is their most easy and enjoyable album to listen to but its not their best. one of my favourite albums of all time though.

The albums I still enjoy are III, IV minus Stairway, and Houses of the Holy. I and II I can't really deal with anymore. Too sloppy and derivative. 

Â