What era (decade) was the best for you and why?

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

and Putin with something something Pancreatic that only a Doctor in Belgium can fix the silly word removed.

I dearly hope not. Would feel so sorry for the poor bugger to be abducted and transported to Russia via nefarious means never to be seen again when his job is over. 

Better that Putin just withers and dies slowly in great pain. 

• Like 1

80s for me, but only cos i can look back at those times being a spotty angst ridden teenager whose weekend was ruined if villa lost and I still had homework to do on Sunday. Some of my memories back then were hilariously cringeworthy 

34 minutes ago, MCU said:

@villa4europe will say the 90's, I will say the 2020's.

Nah I dunno, not a lot was happening in the 90s, middle school was great, high school was ok, films were awesome, first got in to music (oasis and phonics) not many holidays, living at home 

00s i started drinking and partying but had no money, 6th form was really good, music was great, snobs was incredible at times but really it wasn't until near the end of the decade that I could do everything I wanted, 05 to 15 was probably the best for me, finished uni, had some more cash, got a good car, moved out, good holidays, villa season tickets, then I pushed it too far and didn't enjoy it anymore 

Edit - I also knocked my front teeth out in the mid 90s! Not a good time for me 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

I would have said the ‘10s without hesitation, with the birth of my son and meeting my (soon to be ex-) wife and all of that. However, as it turns out, all of the worst things to ever happen to me happened in that decade too. 2010-2018 were probably the happiest years of my life, Villa aside. 

The ‘00s were very good, looking back. Student life, Vålerenga won the league, the Yankees won a World Series, Villa were very good for a while and I went to Villa Park several times a year, plus a lot of other more or less exotic places up and down the English football pyramid. 

The ‘90s were just blissful childhood, so they don’t really count.

The ‘20s have been f***ing awful so far. 

Edited by El Zen

Most people are going to go for the time of their own youth but I think the 90s was a truly glorious time to grow up.  It nicely straddled the gap between the pre digital and modern age.  We had the best mix of playing outdoors alongside the seeing the development of technology from its infancy such as computer gaming. 

It also had the last real musical and cultural movement and the best pop culture (along with the 80s) .

And yeah, Villa were pretty decent.  That 95/96 team remains my favourite Villa side.

Edited by Wainy316

70’s

was only a pup but flares , beards , long hair and shit 70’s music makes this decade a candidate for worst decade ever

80’s

no ID back then to get served in a pub and so had a whole social life around pubs , clubs , weekends away watching Villa and lad hols with my mates … not a care in the world .. if older me invents a time machine I’d go back and have a word with myself about the clothes I wore in the name of fashion

90’s

A bit shit , my mates got into the acid house scene so I stepped away from them for a while , long term girlfriend and mortgages also put a dampener on it 

00’s

married followed by  kids , disposable income , got to travel the world a lot … shame about the music

arguably the winner of best decade for me 

10’s 

more of the 00’s really , but with the bonus that a lot of 80’s /90’s bands went on Reunion tours so got to see some great gigs 

20’s

Too early to call but it’s not exactly off to a flyer 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Most people are going to go for the time of their own youth but I think the 90s was a truly glorious time to grow up.  It nicely straddled the gap between the pre digital and modern age.  We had the best mix of playing outdoors alongside the seeing the development of technology from its infancy such as computer gaming. 

It also had the last real musical and cultural movement and the best pop culture (along with the 80s) .

And yeah, Villa we’re pretty decent.  That 95/96 team remains my favourite Villa side.

I cant agree more the 90s was such a great time. I remember that 1989 and how big it was when 1990 hit. The 90s boy did i love lofe back then.

If we still lived in that era now i would be happy, very happy.

I was born in '88, so the 90s were a bit of a washout. The 2000s were mostly ruined by being too young. The 10s are my best decade by default due to setting up my career, buying my own home, having financial independence and learning who I am, despite it being pretty **** shit at the national level. Being born a decade or two earlier must have been brilliant. 

44 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

That's an age thing 😉

For me I hit 18 and the world of the indie nightclub opened up, the strokes, the libs, bloc party, foal etc in snobs it was a proper coming of age thing, we had the horrible dirty dangerous nights out in kiddy full of dickheads fighting and shit music and then you had snobs playing the white stripes 

And then you had the downloading! I wasn't really in to napster but I broke at least 2 family computers with limewire, I had emule at work until the IT guy clocked on to it, ripping new music was magical, trying to get Arctic monkeys songs before they were officially released, libertines demos and guerrilla gig recordings, that side of music was a proper buzz, the race to find something new and be first, no other era has had that for me 

Yeah I get the age thing , much the same way Grandpa Mooney has disdain for the 80’s …regardless for me the libertines must be the most overrated band from any era ( cue Bicks and the Beatles )

we used to do similar at CSFB , only we were the IT guys :)  … in that regard it was a great time to be alive even if musicians and actors  could only afford 3 private jets  instead of 4 due to people illegally sharing  

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

My 40's 2010 onwards. Comfortable with my life. Family, marriage. All great. 

All great? 

Thought you weren't getting any clunge action? 

🤔😱😂

The 80's. I turned 13 in '84. It was neon fever dream of peak USA myth marketing, exciting technological and aeronautical advances, and a generally optimistic mood in the country. 90's cynicism changed all that. I thought music in the 80s was more vibrant and creative on the whole. 

My memories of the 70s was much different. Everyone was poorer, the cars were huge and loud, Boston was dirty. The 80s seemed to just sweep away the gloom.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

90s the best for me too. Birmingham city old skool clubs, Dome, Ritzy, Central Park, rave tunes. The S bends in the car round the back of Birmingham.  Polishing the car and going down the Sutton Park with ya pals. Fill the tank with £25 and have a road trip to Weston Super mare, not even planned.

I think it's about being the best age maybe. 20-30, in the 90's was the best time to be living.

Tin tins and wobble

• Like 1

Â