What era (decade) was the best for you and why?

Demitri_C

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

I just loved waking up before school and Denise van Outen or later on Kelly Brook were there to stimulate your teenage mind. Then Eurotrash before bed. The nineties 100%

Eurotrash those were the days 😂

I use to come homw from school in the 90s but my baggy jeans on and watch grange hill or biker grove. Man the good old days 

4 hours ago, maqroll said:

The 80s seemed to just sweep away the gloom.

I've noticed that as a stark contrast between 80s US and UK.

Everything in America seemed to be bright and vibrant and cool where as the UK looked grim, depressing and downtrodden amidst the backdrop of the miners strikes etc.  The full force of Thatcherism and the frigging brown and beige interior decor!

It seemed to come round a bit in the early 90s before fully turning around for the whole Cool Britannia era of the mid 90s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

The 80's. I turned 13 in '84. It was neon fever dream of peak USA myth marketing, exciting technological and aeronautical advances, and a generally optimistic mood in the country. 90's cynicism changed all that. I thought music in the 80s was more vibrant and creative on the whole. 

My memories of the 70s was much different. Everyone was poorer, the cars were huge and loud, Boston was dirty. The 80s seemed to just sweep away the gloom.

Reads like a glowing obituary over Ronald Reagan, that 😉

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Everything in America seemed to be bright and vibrant and cool where as the UK looked grim, depressing and downtrodden amidst the backdrop of the miners strikes etc.  The full force of Thatcherism and the frigging brown and beige interior decor!

It seemed to come round a bit in the early 90s before fully turning around for the whole Cool Britannia era of the mid 90s.

that's precisely why the 80's are the best decade  , the shackles were off and the pioneering spirit took over 

"Cool Britannia " when you look back at it now , wasn't cool at all ,   it was the promotion of laddism and ladettes and why we now have children called Willow , Nova , Kai and Jaxon and people shopping in their pyjamas and the Kardashian's are billionaires 

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

The 80's. I turned 13 in '84. It was neon fever dream of peak USA myth marketing, exciting technological and aeronautical advances, and a generally optimistic mood in the country. 90's cynicism changed all that. I thought music in the 80s was more vibrant and creative on the whole. 

My memories of the 70s was much different. Everyone was poorer, the cars were huge and loud, Boston was dirty. The 80s seemed to just sweep away the gloom.

Yeah, in the 80's everything seemed bright modern new and shiny. And as you say optimism was rife.  The modern world was essentially born.

We had just come out of the 70's which to my mind was as beige as beige can be - Punk absolutely HAD to happen to save the very essence of the 70's.

In the UK we had been plagued by never ending strikes which had seen the electricity turned off with alarming regularity, bread not available to buy in shops, the bins never being emptied.  I was under 10 years old all through the 70's but even as a child it seemed a depressing time for most people.   

I mean, **** me, imagine if you couldn't buy bread today.  People forget just how dark it was back then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Wow, you had a different 80's to me.

It's when the 70's beige was swept aside for light grey and red rooms adorned with photo's of cocktails filled with with people wearing white trousers and pink or yellow shirts.

I used to race about Town in my white espadrilles.

I'm not getting into the politics as that will just start another never ending spiral argument but that's just one aspect of what was going on.  Some people focus on that as it that completely encompasses the 80's.  It didn't there was a whole world full of other stuff going on.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

70’s

flares , beards , long hair and great 70’s music makes this decade a candidate for best decade ever

FTFY 

• Haha 1

Chocolate bars were bigger in the 70/80s, fresh veg was better. Chickens were tastier. Kids programmes were never better then back then too. Going out playing football, tracking, discovering girls etc weed. Thatcher was word removed, infact anytime under Tory rule has been shit. Morecambe and Wise, the two Ronnie's, sitcoms fantastic. Villa were great sometimes.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Wow, you had a different 80's to me.

It's when the 70's beige was swept aside for light grey and red rooms adorned with photo's of cocktails filled with with people wearing white trousers and pink or yellow shirts.

In fairness being born in 84 this is based on various media, films and tv shows.  Maybe the decor is a view I associate more with early 80s which would obviously still have a lot of 70s fall out.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

that's precisely why the 80's are the best decade  , the shackles were off and the pioneering spirit took over 

"Cool Britannia " when you look back at it now , wasn't cool at all ,   it was the promotion of laddism and ladettes and why we now have children called Willow , Nova , Kai and Jaxon and people shopping in their pyjamas and the Kardashian's are billionaires 

I'd would associate these names with kids born in 2010s.  It's loads of small kids with these names as opposed to children of the 90s.

51 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Chocolate bars were bigger in the 70/80s, fresh veg was better. Chickens were tastier. Kids programmes were never better then back then too. Going out playing football, tracking, discovering girls etc weed. Thatcher was word removed, infact anytime under Tory rule has been shit. Morecambe and Wise, the two Ronnie's, sitcoms fantastic. Villa were great sometimes.

On this, I'm young enough for my sample size to me small (I don't personally remember pre Major) but surely the era from 97-07 was the most prosperous time for the nation as a whole in living memory?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

On this, I'm young enough for my sample size to me small (I don't personally remember pre Major) but surely the era from 97-07 was the most prosperous time for the nation as a whole in living memory?

To be honest as a family and our extended family we've always been comfortable, whoever was in hasn't made a great deal of difference to our livelihood. However, there as always been this general feeling that the Tories are in power as fronts only to individuals that have put them there and have managed to create an unfair balance across of living standards, disabled people (genuine ones in need) are treated appallingly for example. The ultra rich are treated any.way they want because they pull the strings. A worldwide leveling up/reset is need to save the many and make it just a little fairer. 

Ps. I am a complete dunce when it comes to politics, the above is just a general feeling for how things are on a very basic level, the complexity of running a country must be complete madness, in these tough times we could do without this incompetent corrupt bag of shit for a so called government. 

9 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have this image of people only eating meat, potato, veg for dinner every night in the 70s and 80s.

Yeah, I mean who would do that in todays age?

giphy.gif

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

Â