What era (decade) was the best for you and why?

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

I have this image of people only eating meat, potato, veg for dinner every night in the 70s and 80s.

Yeah, it was great.  :)

Actually, that seriously was true in the 50s & 60s, when I was a kid. My missus had the same experience with her parents. My son-in-law's grandmother (95) got taken out for her first ever pizza recently - her first question was: "Is this what they call French food?" 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I have till this day never been to a McDonalds with my parents. 

Same. To my knowledge I don't think my parents have ever had a McDonald's and to add to that I can't recall them ever having a hamburger. Also pasta. I genuinely can't remember a time they have ever had pasta. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I have till this day never been to a McDonalds with my parents. 

I can't stand it, I drive through once or twice a Month for my lad and I cannot remember the last time I ordered anything for myself. The carpark and anywhere possible is full of ropey 10 year old cars driven by people that you would not your address given out to, just eat and whoever else they are, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Same. To my knowledge I don't think my parents have ever had a McDonald's and to add to that I can't recall them ever having a hamburger. Also pasta. I genuinely can't remember a time they have ever had pasta. 

We have just lost the mother-in-law and its just the old man now, they have never had a takeaway, anything remotely exotic, pasta, pizza, they had the same thing to eat every Monday, Tues etc and the same the following week for probably 60 years. They have had fish and chips from the chippy some Fridays and thats been it. He has grown his own veg for decades. Never had anything with any spice, never any pepper, a little salt only. Incredibly old fashioned people and Tory haters.

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Before i knew about mcdonalds i use to either go star burger or wimpys in the 90s. I was devastated when star burger closed down

Just out of interest in a fun and caring way, what era would you say has been Dem at peak madness?

• Like 1

Mid 00s- 10s, started sixth form in 2006 (living in Sheffield as Arctic Monkeys came through was brilliant, although I was just too young for the early early gigs), went to uni in 08, lived in Germany in 10/11, travelled a fair amount, moved up here in 2013, married in 2019. 

Late 50s and early 60s for me.Rock and roll,Buddy Holly,Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps,Fats Domino,Elvis etc etc.Also stovepipe pants,haircuts with a DA at the back and just the fun of the whole thing.People used to go into town and leave their doors unlocked and curtains blowing out the windows.You would come home and find that the delivery boy had unpacked your groceries neatly on your dining room table and left.Rape,murder and assault was something you read in the paper maybe 3/5 times a year.I was also a member of a biker gang back then,BUT,unlike now,we were after a good time and didnt bother with drugs.It was all great fun and I am glad that I was a part of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Yeah, it was great.  :)

Actually, that seriously was true in the 50s & 60s, when I was a kid. My missus had the same experience with her parents. My son-in-law's grandmother (95) got taken out for her first ever pizza recently

Harsh. How bad can a pizza be? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, El Zen said:

Reads like a glowing obituary over Ronald Reagan, that 😉

I was painting in broad strokes. Reagan was catastrophic in many ways, and we are suffering for it right now. And I never give much credence to the idea that a President can control the economy. But he was a shrewd communicator and he was able to convince people that America was "#1". Domestic manufacturing was still humming along and people had liveable wages and pensions. There was crack and AIDS and crime and the rest, but the basic mood was confident. 

• Like 1

I think for me undoubtedly the 90's as I had so many new experiences. I was 16 in 1990 and went to my first club in December of that year (Christmas Eve the Ritzy which was the old Power House and then to be Pulse), started work in 1991, started first long term relationship that same year, between 91 and 97 out with my mates Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday if my wages lasted that long. Met my wife to be in 1997 and we bought our first house and had our first child in 1998. Also actually witnessing in person Villa win something in 1994 and 96 was great as I was only 7 when we won the league and 8 when we won the European Cup.

I think for anyone those 10 years or so after you leave school and are then pretty much free to do what you want, and anything seems possible, are always going to be up there as your best years. Mine just happened to coincide with being that whole decade of the 90's as I left school in 1990. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I think for me undoubtedly the 90's as I had so many new experiences. I was 16 in 1990 and went to my first club in December of that year (Christmas Eve the Ritzy which was the old Power House and then to be Pulse),

Haha.  If I was describing my early clubbing days to an older audience I would say I used to go to The The Powerhouse (which was the old Locarno).  Now @mjmooney knows what we're talking about.

Locarno | Birmingham Music Archive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I was painting in broad strokes. Reagan was catastrophic in many ways, and we are suffering for it right now. And I never give much credence to the idea that a President can control the economy. But he was a shrewd communicator and he was able to convince people that America was "#1". Domestic manufacturing was still humming along and people had liveable wages and pensions. There was crack and AIDS and crime and the rest, but the basic mood was confident. 

I know, man. Just teasing 😊

Eating options in the 70s and 80s was a wasteland of processed food and frozen vegetables. Exotic food was "Polynesian style" Chinese food, dumbed down for Americans. Nobody complained either because we didn't know how sh*t it our options were. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

Just out of interest in a fun and caring way, what era would you say has been Dem at peak madness?

Good question. The late 90s i absolutely loved but the 00s was when i was going on a rampage. I was one of the lucky few that went vegas when the dollar hit $2.11. I did some unbelievable shopping and was living like a king. Doubt we will ever see that happen again in my lifetime.

Man i would get anything for the world to be like the 90s. It was unbelievable i loved it

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Haha.  If I was describing my early clubbing days to an older audience I would say I used to go to The The Powerhouse (which was the old Locarno).  Now @mjmooney knows what we're talking about.

Locarno | Birmingham Music Archive

Thank you. The Powerhouse means nothing to me. The Locarno, yes. It was shite, mind. 

• Haha 1

80s - Only experienced 4 years in this colorful decade of hope and Reaganomics™️. Had colic as a baby and a lot of ear infections, but saw the wonders of the world through tiny eyes so I suppose it was alright.

90s - Childhood + early teen years, Sweden made an incredible run in the world cup and we all fought over which player celebrations to choose from. Sega + Nintendo provided some great entertainment. Family moved abroad and I realized playing football with a bunch of kids that only spoke french wasn't as fun as my old friends. But the new country brought new friends and all in all my childhood was a good one. Got two brothers during this decade. Twas nice all in all. The music from this decade is generally boss too.

00s - Teens and young adulthood years. Had a great experience in high school with great friends and met my first love + first heartbreak. Played in some dumb bands but had a blast. Went to uni and met some of the best people that I'm still very close to to this day. The indie music was brilliant, found my appreciation for metal and electronic music. Took a one-way ticket to Birmingham with my best mate for no particular reason other than "**** it" and found a love for Aston Villa and a re-invigorated love for football. This decade was noice all in all besides an over-abundance of shite big room EDM.

10s - mid 20s and 30s - Met mrs. osmark right at the crack o' the start of the decade and made a life with her. Went back to uni for two years which landed me new opportunities. Finally not a broke bastard and could afford to see the world and buy the guitar of my dreams among other things. becoming more comfortable in my own shoes and got married. Also finally came to terms with my parents being completely dysfunctional and having to make space. All in all a very nice decade with some ups and downs. Guess the music was pretty damn boss if you knew what to look for.

20s - mid 30s - Much more stable and comfortable as a person, but COVID sucks and Putin sucks etc... Hasn't exactly shaped up as a great decade yet, but we'll see where it takes us. Turning 40 this decade makes me feel a bit old XD.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 2

Â