Match Thread: Wolves v Villa

limpid

Just now, OutByEaster? said:

Largely anonymous - I think he won a corner late on but that's about the only positive contribution that springs to mind.

He’s been far better than the rest of the midfield and the front three.

• Like 2

Largely anonymous - I think he won a corner late on but that's about the only positive contribution that springs to mind.

This. And people saying Bailey has been ok? Had one potshot, and apart from that lost the ball every time he touched it. Bailey, Buendia, Ings. Hahaha what a summer window

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

Three different formations in the last three games and lost all three. 

Shows how much surgery this team needs.  Whether some like the manager or not, some of these players aren’t good enough for top half football.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

What annoys me about games like this is we're making Wolves, **** Wolves, look like Brazil 1970. You'll watch them in the next game and they'll be terrible.

Eh?  They look nothing like Brazil 1970.  They've done **** all but capitalise on our mistakes (first one unfortunate IMO).

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I’d say they’ve all been relatively similar. A good mix of highlights and lowlights.

1 minute ago, pregra said:

Doesnt really matter who we sub off/on really. Having said that, hoping he subs three players just to make a point.

Would be a big F U to the FA as well, since we've only got 2 left. lol

On a serious note though, these are the times I see the benefits of 5 subs!

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nigel said:

This game is nothing to do with the manager, ridiculous to say anything but.

We could be 2 goals up now if the wolves players kept slipping over and scored an own goal and everyone would be praising him.

Its a close game if you ignore the 2 bits of luck. 

Don't get me wrong I'm not happy but at least don't put the blame on the wrong person

You don't think being wide open to counter attacks and offering nothing in front of goal has anything to do with how the manager has set us up?

As soon as the line up and formation was announced this performance was a given.

its pretty simple.

Most of the players many adore on here, and defend to the hilt, are simply not very good most of the time, and simply not good enough for where we want to aim.

If we want to challenge for top 8 this team needs a major overhaul, prob 4-6 players in this squad are good enough for a top 8 challenge, the rest are mid to lower table quality.

Smith had a similar scenario with regard to not being able to get this squad playing, although his tactics didnt help i dont think, or maybe the tactics were because he realised how limited we are.

We have improved under Gerrard, the stats back this up (its a marked improvement also), but its still clear that 50% of this team is simply just not good enough, and couldnt hit a barn door with a 5 yard pass.

regardless, we have spent 350m on players in the last 3 years, i think we have made some good signings, but also some very poor ones.....350m.......let that sink in for a second, when half our team cant pass the ball 5 yards and we have zero aggression or control in the middle.

The two goals they've scored aren't even the part that worries me most - it's our lack of any kind of threat - we've had one shot on target and that was from 30 yards.

We only had one shot on target in our last game too - there's a really worrying lack of any sort of cutting edge to us.

That has to come down to the manager. Worries me a bit that he plus 4-3-3 without question, never mind the opposition or who is fit or inform we’re playing that way regardless.

3 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

He does that 3 times every game. That's his move.

It often opens up play.

Sometimes backfires badly.

But it's one thing if you do it when you have cover behind you, if that opens a chance for a counterattack, ecc. Today it was completely needless and extremely risky. 

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Weird.  He's done more than Ramsey for sure.  It's like we're watching a different game :D 

• Like 1