The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, Milfner said:

A litre of unleaded is 149.9 at Sainsbury's Castle Vale. Can't remember it being that low for what, 9 months? Diesel was low 170s I think,

Ye oil recently registered its lowest price since about Feb. Global fuel demand declining, helped further by the Chinese Covid lockdowns. It should get to about 145 soon hopefully.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I still dont get why we are getting charged so much. Yes the russian war but we get alot of our gas from Norway not Russia like  the usa?

Everyone is getting it from Norway now I would guess, pushing the price up.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

I took the M6 Toll yesterday for a trip to Merseyside, £7.70 one way, WTF. 

(It went on my expenses claim, but still, that’s taking the piss a bit).

It's always been quite shit though. I've always said if they made it free and part of the standard motorway network it would do wonders for M6 congestion around Brum, as folks travelling between Manchester/Liverpool could avoid Birmingham entirely. Instead they've spent millions and millions on improving M6 J10, and implementing smart motorways which have done almost nothing to ease things. 

1 hour ago, HKP90 said:

It's always been quite shit though. I've always said if they made it free and part of the standard motorway network it would do wonders for M6 congestion around Brum, as folks travelling between Manchester/Liverpool could avoid Birmingham entirely. Instead they've spent millions and millions on improving M6 J10, and implementing smart motorways which have done almost nothing to ease things. 

I was wondering a similar thing whilst driving yesterday, how much would it cost for highways agency or whoever it is to buy the M6 Toll and make it free to share the load with the OG M6?

4 hours ago, Genie said:

I was wondering a similar thing whilst driving yesterday, how much would it cost for highways agency or whoever it is to buy the M6 Toll and make it free to share the load with the OG M6?

share-lotr.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Yeah, I usually use it but it's a complete rip off and I'm sure they'd make much more money if they charged less because I'm sure thousands avoid it because of cost. 

Due to the rising cost of gas, we're not turning the heating on as often as we used to, which is probably true for a lot of people. However, I'm faced with an ethical dilemma. I do not have a smart meter, and a close family member who is also a gas engineer has offered to swap my meter around to a dummy one and then reverse the change every two weeks, meaning that I won't be charged for any usage during the time the dummy meter is connected as I'll only give the meter reading for the meter my company know about. I know that this is an illegal practice, however my wife and youngest child both have asthma, and are coughing terribly at night due to cold. We only turn the heating on for an hour at bed time, but it's still not enough. I'm not going to suddenly start wasting heat by having my windows open and the heating on, but I'd like to run the heat at a low temp overnight to allow my wife and child to sleep properly and not suffer with asthma.

Just wondering what other board members might do in the same situation?

I am doing everything else I can to reduce my energy usage, but I have two young kids and a family home to run. We use a fair bit just on the washing machine and dryer.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Due to the rising cost of gas, we're not turning the heating on as often as we used to, which is probably true for a lot of people. However, I'm faced with an ethical dilemma. I do not have a smart meter, and a close family member who is also a gas engineer has offered to swap my meter around to a dummy one and then reverse the change every two weeks, meaning that I won't be charged for any usage during the time the dummy meter is connected as I'll only give the meter reading for the meter my company know about. I know that this is an illegal practice, however my wife and youngest child both have asthma, and are coughing terribly at night due to cold. We only turn the heating on for an hour at bed time, but it's still not enough. I'm not going to suddenly start wasting heat by having my windows open and the heating on, but I'd like to run the heat at a low temp overnight to allow my wife and child to sleep properly and not suffer with asthma.

I am doing everything else I can to reduce my energy usage, but I have two young kids and a family home to run. We use a fair bit just on the washing machine and dryer.

As you say,its illegal,so if you are caught it could cost you.On the other hand,family comes first.I suppose the bottom line is that you have to weigh up the pros and cons and decide if it is worth the risk.I dont know much about asthma but I should think that you have to do whatever you can for people ( close to you ) to alleviate the prob;em as much as possible.  

• Like 1

@Jonesy7211

Other than the danger of getting a criminal record, a hefty fine and (very unlikely given the state of prisons, prison space and, possibly, a large number of people also forced in to similar action) a custodial sentence, I'd be wary of the safety of it even though your close family member is a gas engineer as they're hardly going to put their name to it if it turns out to be shoddy work. If that results in injury to someone (within your household or beyond) then you'd be talking some serious criminal sanctions and serious guilt.

Lastly, if you do get found out, it's quite possible you'll get cut off and won't have access to any gas for heating at any price.

Dicking around with gas is folly.

• Like 3

On 02/12/2022 at 10:38, Genie said:

Yeah it's ludicrous.

I assume they've worked out some sort of optimal pricing on it so that technically makes them the most money. But it's no wonder not many people use it.

If it was cheaper, or if it went all the way to Manchester, I'd use it whenever I went that way. But it's neither.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Do whatever you need to do to keep your family healthy pal. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, snowychap said:

@Jonesy7211

Other than the danger of getting a criminal record, a hefty fine and (very unlikely given the state of prisons, prison space and, possibly, a large number of people also forced in to similar action) a custodial sentence

This is what's worrying me the most. I live in an affluent area, and my salary is pretty decent, although my wife works part time so the household income isn't amazing. However because it's a bit above the national average I fear the book would be thrown at me and I'd be made an example of if caught.

6 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I'd be highly highly suspicious that your energy supplier couldn't detect something was up and then you're on for a criminal record. I 100% wouldn't consider it. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I'd be highly highly suspicious that your energy supplier couldn't detect something was up and then you're on for a criminal record. I 100% wouldn't consider it. 

In theory, if you reconnect it half the time, and give monthly readings that match that usage, they're not going to tell the difference between energy theft and someone who can't pay and has the heating off.

I'd be concerned that they expect more and more of this kind of thinking, and step up their meter inspections though.

It's not just a theoretical possibility, people do go to prison for this. If you decide it's worth the risk, I'd make sure your meter is well secured and inaccessible to a meter inspector - there's no obligation to be home to let them in, and no obligation to keep your gates unlocked so they can access it. 

9 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

yeah-thats-gonna-be-a-no.gif

16 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

No. 

It might save you £500 on gas this winter.  It could cost you far more than that in the long run.

• Like 2

Â