The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

My brother in law run his transit van on super plus unleaded :lol: He‘s one of these that would never put “cheap” supermarket petrol in his car. Now that it’s more expensive than some other garages it must really confuse him.

We had two Skoda Octavias that developed engine problems pretty quickly. Sent for testing and Skoda said the issues were as a result of using biofuel, which they specify you shouldn’t use. Both cars had been filled up exclusively at Tesco, which we could prove, had all the fuel receipts from new. Tesco bought us two new cars, they'd been mixing biofuel with the diesel.

There is definitely an argument not to use it.

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

We had two Skoda Octavias that developed engine problems pretty quickly. Sent for testing and Skoda said the issues were as a result of using biofuel, which they specify you shouldn’t use. Both cars had been filled up exclusively at Tesco, which we could prove, had all the fuel receipts from new. Tesco bought us two new cars, they'd been mixing biofuel with the diesel.

There is definitely an argument not to use it.

What about all the other thousands of cars that use those petrol stations every week?

All diesel/petrol includes biofuel. The number e5 / e10 / b7 relate to the percentage of biofuel in the petrol / diesel. 

I can’t see why Tesco would just buy 2 new cars for that reason, or why Skoda would suggest their cars can’t run on standard British standard fuel mixes.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

People saying they're not putting the heating on, how are you drying your clothes?

Tumble dryer? I don’t know which is the most cost effective. I use the dryer a fair bit but lately have been putting some clothes on radiators if they’re on to try and reduce it. 

30 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

Clothes are the problem.

Just cover your dignity with a small dog. 

Dogs are shit.  Use a cat.....though try not to startle it, claws are bloody sharp.

• Sad 1

I bet literally everyone has an old BBQ in the shed with some unused bags of charcoal that have been sitting there for years unused.  Just set it up in the corner of the living room.  Sure it will make your house really smoky but it's not like it's going to kill you or anything.

Edited by sidcow
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

For those that can afford a cushion shed, spend the really cold days in there where you’ll always be warm. For those that can’t, well we just have to work harder according to the tories. 

I'll have you know I have taken a second job so I can afford a shed for my youngest.  I'm fitting it out with an extensive selection of drapery to ensure it's nicely insulated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

As much as there's a worry in here about heating your homes, try to think of ways to stop any heat leaving your home. 

Stupid things like closing doors quicker when your and the family are getting home, don't open the door, go back to the car to pick up a bag, then walk back - you've just lost 300/400 liters of heated air in 10 seconds.

If you have throws/blankets, use them as draft excluders if you have "leaky" doors, that'll save you hundreds of liters of heated air overnight. 

If you don't have insulation in your loft, why?  It's a really quick pay back and is quite cheap.  If you have big windows, close the curtains until 11am, open them, get some solar gain for free heat and close them at around 3/4pm when the sun goes in.  

Bleed your radiators, I bet it's been a while!  And you could get up to 30% more heat, meaning you can turn your boilers off quicker.  

Wear appropriate clothing, stupidly simple, but no socks and wooden floors are fine in September, no so much when it's 0c outside. 

If you have holes in your brickwork, go outside and fill them, they're making your building leaky. 

Close your toilet lid!  

Just silly shit like that can make a big difference.  

Trust you for dinosaurs and heating, this is good knowledge.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Personally I get my manservant to fan them down.

The exercise will keep him warm so wages for heating can be docked whilst simultaneously heating the house. 

i-like-the-way-you-think-flowers.gif

• Like 1

Â