The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Am I the only person who thinks tax does need to go up? 

What so they can shift more public money to their mates?  Hardly any of it will go where it should.  Paying extra tax to the Tories is akin to sending aiding to North Korea.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Am I the only person who thinks tax does need to go up? 

The country is falling apart. Its impossible to see a Doctor. Schools can't recruit teachers, every public service you can name is suffering. 

Yes efficiencies need to be driven in but that's a perennial problem regardless of who's in power. There is clearly a funding issue. 

Add to that the amount of people who are becoming homeless because they cant afford to pay the rent then yes as long as Sunak and Hunt help the poorest in our country through this crisis. 

9 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Why cant they create a new tax bracket for super rich that earn like 200k plus and they have to pay figher income tax? Surely that would generate some welcome income to help the lowest paid?

Why stop at £200k? That's pittance to the super wealthy. 

Unfortunately though those people can afford decent accountants and are able to access decision makers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Why cant they create a new tax bracket for super rich that earn like 200k plus and they have to pay figher income tax? Surely that would generate some welcome income to help the lowest paid?

We already have one at £150k (about to be reduced to £125k).

The problem with this type of thing is that it will impact their wealthy donor friends.

3 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Why stop at £200k? That's pittance to the super wealthy. 

Unfortunately though those people can afford decent accountants and are able to access decision makers. 

Was just using as a example 200k would get more people paying more than if u did someone on a salary of 400k for example 

I don't understand how we have this £50bn black hole in the finances?

We're no longer sending £"350m per week to  The EU.  That's £36 odd bn over the 2 years.  Surely that's going to plug most of it?  If not what happened to our £350m per week saving?   We should be rolling in it now?

Something is not adding up here.  

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I don't understand how we have this £50bn black hole in the finances?

It's entirely artificial. The tories set themselves a "rule" around the economy and then due to various reasons (many self inflicted) they've found they're not going to meet that arbitary target by £50bn. They could change the target, or move the date by which they aim to meet it, or they could do both. It's artificial. The underlying thing is credibility, and it's because they lost that through Truss and Kwarteng that they feel they need, above all to demonstrate they've re-found credibility with the markets. But there's no "black hole" and the media should be explaining what they mean when they use that phrase.

And as you suggest, Brexit is a major factor in the shortfall.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, blandy said:

It's entirely artificial. The tories set themselves a "rule" around the economy and then due to various reasons (many self inflicted) they've found they're not going to meet that arbitary target by £50bn. They could change the target, or move the date by which they aim to meet it, or they could do both. It's artificial. The underlying thing is credibility, and it's because they lost that through Truss and Kwarteng that they feel they need, above all to demonstrate they've re-found credibility with the markets. But there's no "black hole" and the media should be explaining what they mean when they use that phrase.

And as you suggest, Brexit is a major factor in the shortfall.

Yeah, it was more of a dig that the £350m pw was just made up bollox

1 hour ago, blandy said:

arbitary target by £50bn. They could change the target, or move the date by which they aim to meet it, or they could do both. 

Hunt has just done that in the budget.  Aiming to ‘balance the books’ over 5 years rather than 3 years now.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Genie said:

Electric cars to pay “road tax” from 2025.

If it happens that all the ICE cars are gradually removed from the road, then the revenue needs to be replaced one way or the other. I've seen no details at all, but it's inevitable that taxes will migrate from emissions towards another metric.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, blandy said:

If it happens that all the ICE cars are gradually removed from the road, then the revenue needs to be replaced one way or the other. I've seen no details at all, but it's inevitable that taxes will migrate from emissions towards another metric.

Yes I agree, there was always going to be something. Just offered a heads up. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Fuel duty is rising by 23% in March next year putting 12p onto a litre of petrol/diesel. 

Hopefully the current prices drop way back by then to soften that. 

12p on top of todays prices will be brutal.

Â