The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Could go in any of a few threads but I think it needs its own.

I read this headline today:

The fact that something as simple and cheap as a Kitkat is a luxury is either so absurd that I struggle to believe it, or the situation is truly that bad and me in my bubble can't see what's really going on.

I think she means more like that the money she would spend on a kitkat or things like that will now go on bills. A few pounds literally mean extra basic food supplies or gas/electric for a tiny bit longer. No luxuries, think before buying kind of thing.

It’s not that she can’t afford a kitkat, it’s that the money it costs will now go towards bills. Existing rather than living.

Edited by Ingram85
  • Like 2

It's horrible to hear and makes me appreciate how lucky I am. I earn a good wage and have very low overheads as i'm basically a skinflint. I think thats due to not having much growing up, so i squirrel it all away in my pension and investments. It does help me sleep at night though, not having to worry. I do feel for the people who struggle :(

• Like 3

My health insurance is going to go up too

But apparently according to the wife the government is going to give every working adult a €300 bonus towards the end of the year and €100 for each kid

Strangely retired people get nothing though 

I've gotta admit, I'm bricking it over the coming months just to see how badly this effects me.

I'm pretty good with money and don't have any debt aside from £300 on a credit card, I live alone in a one bed rented flat though and I never have too much of my wages left over at the end of the month, it could be a real struggle for me.

• Sad 3

3 hours ago, Xela said:

It's horrible to hear and makes me appreciate how lucky I am. I earn a good wage and have very low overheads as i'm basically a skinflint. I think thats due to not having much growing up, so i squirrel it all away in my pension and investments. It does help me sleep at night though, not having to worry. I do feel for the people who struggle :(

I'm similar, but this kind of cost of living crisis just isn't good for the wider economy, and will affect investments as well. The govt really needs to get the economy booming again, and especially for lower and middle earners who are the ones who spend most / all of their disposable income. (And obviously for non-financial reasons like health, education, quality of life, investment in public services, etc etc)

Edited by KentVillan

1 hour ago, leemond2008 said:

I've gotta admit, I'm bricking it over the coming months just to see how badly this effects me.

I'm pretty good with money and don't have any debt aside from £300 on a credit card, I live alone in a one bed rented flat though and I never have too much of my wages left over at the end of the month, it could be a real struggle for me.

Its very worrying times ahead. Alot of cutbacks for a lot of us. Can only see a recession on the horizon

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I think she means more like that the money she would spend on a kitkat or things like that will now go on bills. A few pounds literally mean extra basic food supplies or gas/electric for a tiny bit longer. No luxuries, think before buying kind of thing.

It’s not that she can’t afford a kitkat, it’s that the money it costs will now go towards bills. Existing rather than living.

I know that :) That was the definition of luxury in my post I felt.

12 hours ago, villa4europe said:

My health insurance is going to go up too

But apparently according to the wife the government is going to give every working adult a €300 bonus towards the end of the year and €100 for each kid

Strangely retired people get nothing though 

In a lucky position here, we get free healthcare, and private through work. The government increased taxes for higher earners, but my company gave me a payrise to make up the shortfall which they absolutely didn't need to do.

As for giving money away, well our govt have killed us with their generosity. 500zl a month per kid, miners get 13th and 14th salary, pensioners get 13th and 14th pension. So so generous but now inflation is that bad, that supermarkets are cutting their own prices in protest.

• 3 weeks later...

Boy am I glad we had 10 years of austerity to stop this sort of economic crash coming - hurrah for the Tories keeping our lovely economy in check, as apposed to those scummy labour bods, who would have given us all free services and shit which we'd have no money to pay for! Imagine just how much worse it would have been under them!

I Am Relieved Tyler Oakley GIF - I Am Relieved Tyler Oakley Relief GIFs

• Like 1

Luckly im retired and here in Perth we get free medical care,transport,money knocked of our power/water,etc bills and on top of all that we owne everything,so atm am doing quite well.No complaints,but I do read in the papers what you are saying,so it must be a worldwide thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PussEKatt said:

Luckly im retired and here in Perth we get free medical care,transport,money knocked of our power/water,etc bills and on top of all that we owne everything,so atm am doing quite well.No complaints,but I do read in the papers what you are saying,so it must be a worldwide thing.

Maybe Scotland isn’t so bad after all.

I think its an individual thing.Because it depends on what you already have,what you want/need and how much you earn ( from whatever source )

I think even a millionaire would be struggling if he wanted a new luxary yacht every year.

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

At what point are people going to say stuff this im outta here and immigrate somewhere else?

Can see alot of people exploring that option if things continue as they are. 

I’d be tempted that’s for sure. Difficult with kids and having a stable job though!

Just now, Villa87 said:

I’d be tempted that’s for sure. Difficult with kids and having a stable job though!

My missus wants to, either go cyprus or Australia.

I do get tempted at times however i love the uk but the way the government is pushing people. I think people are just gonna pack their bags and just go. We get massively screwed over here

Â