The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

6 hours ago, Genie said:

£1.25 seems to be the new price point for stuff that used to be £1.

I noticed 6 packs of Walkers crisps that used to be on offer at £1 are now £1.25. Same for the Cadbury chocolate bars, 25% increase.

If I wear in charge of retail law, one of the first actions I'd put in place is forcing retailers to display price rises with the same prominence that they display price cuts.

When I was browsing the beer aisle in my preferred national brand of scumbags, I noticed that Leffe Blonde was £3.25 (with a massive price matched with Aldi badge), while the Brun was still £3. They'd price matched by putting the price up! The item Aldi didn't stock was still at the original price.

Of course, the Brun is up to £3.50 this week, up by 16%, with no fancy labels to show for it.

Edited by Davkaus

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

If I wear in charge of retail law, one of the first actions I'd put in place is forcing retailers to display price rises with the same prominence that they display price cuts.

When I was browsing the beer aisle in my preferred national brand of scumbags, I noticed that Leffe Blonde was £3.25 (with a massive price matched with Aldi badge), while the Brun was still £3. They'd price matched by putting the price up! The item Aldi didn't stock was still at the original price.

Of course, the Brun is up to £3.50 this week, up by 16%, with no fancy labels to show for it.

Yeah. Should display current price alongside highest and lowest price in the last 12 months. 

Bastards. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Go aldi get aeros for half the price but called bubbly

Fanta called jive

😃

Yeah, I don’t tend to buy them much but noticed the new normal.

I’m quite partial to a Titan (Mars), Racer (Snickers) or a Cart Wheel (Wagon Wheel)

• Haha 1

Here is the Qcola we get here,its only aviable in 1.25 liter and cost $1

This picture was taken in my "Man cave" you can see part of my Aston villa wall clock and a sign I bought at VP when I was there,there are also lots of cat stuff.

rsz_img_20221201_201450.jpg

Increasingly coming across this issue where the price/cost of things is too much for me to justify doing/paying. But in the defence of the service, it's only increasing with inflation. I suppose this is what will bring the prices back down ultimately. 

Family day out at hatton country world £100. Was £50 five years ago.

Family polar express ticket is £210. For an hour or so entertainment is astonishingly priced by the way. Was £120 five years ago.

Non league adult match ticket at Solihull moors now £21. Was £12 five years ago.

Surely demand falls really aggressively for these sort of things next year?

So I've been trying to do some heating calculations but there doesn't seem to be any advice regarding different temperature settings etc.

For example our boiler has an output of 25kW and our rate is 10p per kWh, which is £2.50 per hour to run the boiler. 

Surely this must vary depending on the temperature settings or how many radiators we have turned on right? I would've thought there would be a conversion chart for different temperatures somewhere?

15 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

So I've been trying to do some heating calculations but there doesn't seem to be any advice regarding different temperature settings etc.

For example our boiler has an output of 25kW and our rate is 10p per kWh, which is £2.50 per hour to run the boiler. 

Surely this must vary depending on the temperature settings or how many radiators we have turned on right? I would've thought there would be a conversion chart for different temperatures somewhere?

I would imagine so.  I would assume 25KW is the maximum when on full pelt which I doubt you are using it on.

This is one of the reasons why Heat Pumps are much better / sometimes don't work.

For years plumbers have just been whacking in massively oversized boilers in a one size fits all approach.  It didn't really matter because gas was so cheap.  Heat Pumps require a lot of calculations regarding room sizes / insulation (heat loss) and radiator sizes.

If installed properly (which requires a properly trained installer doing a proper survey and calculation) the heat pump is bespoke to your property and should work in perfect harmony avoiding the usual gas boiler hammering out a ton of heat then switching off till the temperature lowers then hammering out another ton of heat.   It should gently cycle up and down with far less fluctuation so the radiators give an even but more gentle heat.

Where you hear the heat pump horror stories is generally where an inexperienced installer has whacked in an unsuitable heat pump that's either too small for the house so can't heat properly or too big for the house so costs a bomb to run.

Edited by sidcow
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TreeVillan said:

I would've thought there would be a conversion chart for different temperatures somewhere?

Too many variables to provide accurate conversions.  Size of house, size of rooms, temperature sensors location etc etc.

If you have a smart meter get the loop app on your mobile and you will get accurate usage patterns and associated costs to be able to determine yourself the best config for your use case.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Harkanon said:

Too many variables to provide accurate conversions.  Size of house, size of rooms, temperature sensors location etc etc.

If you have a smart meter get the loop app on your mobile and you will get accurate usage patterns and associated costs to be able to determine yourself the best config for your use case.

I don't think size of room is important, as the boiler heats the flow temperature to a set temperature no matter what. I.e. 60 degrees.

I think only when the thermostat/smart meter is set to a specific room temperature is when the room size would be considered. 

Edited by TreeVillan

I still dont get why we are getting charged so much. Yes the russian war but we get alot of our gas from Norway not Russia like  the usa?

For them to say prices will rocket in april as well when the russian war could be over by then it just stinks to me

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TreeVillan said:

I think , boilers only use there full power when heating the hot water.

A better way (for me) is to measure my gas usage at the meter on a daily basis and work out how much it's costing me each day.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I still dont get why we are getting charged so much. Yes the russian war but we get alot of our gas from Norway not Russia like  the usa?

For them to say prices will rocket in april as well when the russian war could be over by then it just stinks to me

Things like gas, oil, petrol, gold, aluminium etc are sold on global pricing. Norway can’t decide what to sell at, neither can the North sea, or Iraq. Everyone sell at the same global rate (give or take some small adjustments).

When Russia’s supply is taken out of the available sources, and the demand stays the same it’s like anything… the price goes up.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

You just cant quickly replace that 40% of central western european pipeline supply which was coming from Russia. With time yes, but not in a few months.

The UK isnt linked by direct gas flow but we're linked to the continent by price due to the pipelines and interconnectors we have with the Dutch, Belgium, France etc. 

• Thanks 1

Â