The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

57 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Predicting longest recession in UK history, 2 years.

*car crash noises as Britain comes grinding to a halt*

Hard to believe that with the amazing trade deals we're signing, the bonfire of EU red tape and the £350m per week were investing here instead of just sending to Europe. 

Sounds like remoaners are hijacking the headlines to me. 

We're heading for the next great Golden age of Britain. 

God bless Boris. Get him back to get all the big calls right and this time next year, we'll be millionaires. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Genie said:

As we get into the new year the insane energy costs will drop out and inflation will reduce. 

Not according to something I was reading earlier. Unless this winter remains really really mild next years energy prices are unlikely to be any cheaper. 

Despite the low current spot prices the wholesale prices are not going to red. 

ESPECIALLY in the UK because we've dismantled most of our gas storage facilities so we can't even take advantage of the current cheap gas spot prices to buy for the future. 

I have to fill up my car later, just looked online at local prices and it’s shocking really.

The places I would usually never use as they were 10-15p a litre more than the supermarkets are same price or less than the supermarkets.

Theres no way they are buying it cheaper or cutting their margins. If anything they have bigger margins now and can still appear cheap.

Supermarkets have a lot to answer for.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Not according to something I was reading earlier. Unless this winter remains really really mild next years energy prices are unlikely to be any cheaper. 

Despite the low current spot prices the wholesale prices are not going to red. 

ESPECIALLY in the UK because we've dismantled most of our gas storage facilities so we can't even take advantage of the current cheap gas spot prices to buy for the future. 

Yes, but if the prices are the same as 1 year previous then there is no impact on the inflation number.

If oil was $100 a barrel in Jan 22 and $100 in Jan 23 then 0% inflation. 

What we might see actually is deflation if there is a small dip on gas, oil, petrol and diesel prices.

Edited by Genie

59 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Hard to believe that with the amazing trade deals we're signing, the bonfire of EU red tape and the £350m per week were investing here instead of just sending to Europe. 

Sounds like remoaners are hijacking the headlines to me. 

We're heading for the next great Golden age of Britain. 

God bless Boris. Get him back to get all the big calls right and this time next year, we'll be millionaires. 

The elephant in the room will be covered with camouflage of Putin's face, gas pipelines and COVID diagrams, unfortunately.

• Like 1

On 06/10/2022 at 19:18, foreveryoung said:

It's also getting cheaper to fill with fuel than to charge your electric car at some public charging points. Coincidence, I think not!

Friend of mine did a trip from Stourbridge to Harrogate in his Tesla and said he thought the cost of using public chargers wasn't far off filling his Discovery up with diesel for the same round trip.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

It’s going up again to a predicted 4.5% this time next year isn’t it? 

Yay Britain. For the wealthy only this country. 

You could argue 4.5% is about right going on interest rate history. We've just got used to very low rates over the last 13-14 years. When I started in my current role in 2008, I was pricing transactions to my clients off base rate of 5.25%

The problem has been stagnation of wages over the years coupled with out of control price rises on property, which makes everyone poorer. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Makes you wonder what xmas is goibg to be like for people this year. There definitely will be scaling back on prezzies i think thats for sure

Yep, and I can see more retailers going under as a result. 

9 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Yep, and I can see more retailers going under as a result. 

Yep thats definitely going to happen. Can see unemployment rising. Thankfully if that does happens thrre is jobs out there as their is shortages near enough everywhere. 

Out of interest I just went on zoopla to see when the first house I bought last sold and it was December last year. 

I paid £37000 for my first house in 1998. I put a 5% deposit down and my mortgage over 25 years was around £230 a month. I sold it in 2000 for 52k but that same house sold last year for £216000. Pretty much a 600% increase on what I paid in 1998. I just checked and putting down a 5% deposit and having a 25 year mortgage the best deal I could find was £993, a 430% increase on what I was paying in 1998.  I don't do the same job now but I know people who do and the wage I was on at that time has increased by around 50%. Frightening. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Genie said:

I have to fill up my car later, just looked online at local prices and it’s shocking really.

The places I would usually never use as they were 10-15p a litre more than the supermarkets are same price or less than the supermarkets.

Theres no way they are buying it cheaper or cutting their margins. If anything they have bigger margins now and can still appear cheap.

We are being arse raped from every direction, and it's really **** annoying. 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Genie said:

In the before times, the supermarkets sold fuel as a loss leader, basically to attract people to do their weekly shop, on which the supermarket would make a tidy profit and fill up where they’d make next to nothing.  But now all food has gone up, the supermarkets profit margins have been cut, so they need to charge more for fuel to compensate. And because people are hunting round for the cheapest fuel, fewer folk are just filling up where they shop.  That’s my theory anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Genie said:

The difference between petrol and diesel is now 25-28p a litre, how one earth can that be? 

16p at my local station. Tax is one reason. edit 26 p, not 16p 163.9 v 189.9

Â