The rising cost of living

StefanAVFC

Just now, blandy said:

16p at my local station. Tax is one reason. edit 26 p, not 16p 163.9 v 189.9

It was 2p for a very long time, then all of a sudden this huge gulf. I didn’t realise there was a tax change tbh. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

It was 2p for a very long time, then all of a sudden this huge gulf. I didn’t realise there was a tax change tbh. 

20% of any differential is tax, so if the difference is 25p as you say, 5p of that is tax

57 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

So really if the income to house ratio was consistent to 1990 avg house price should be  a bit over £100k? 

Whoops that didn't work out

It was ok, better even in the last decade, when interest rates were like 1% or less, compared to the 90s when, for example my mortgage rate was 7.99%, but obviously now they’re up to whatever, 6% say, that’s where people are now getting stuffed.

7 minutes ago, blandy said:

It was ok, better even in the last decade, when interest rates were like 1% or less, compared to the 90s when, for example my mortgage rate was 7.99%, but obviously now they’re up to whatever, 6% say, that’s where people are now getting stuffed.

Yes that is a fair point re low interest rates, though perhaps that has fed into the unsustainable price rises. As well as a lack of housing supply.

The whole uk housing market is a total mess.

• Like 1

So council tax going up along with the gas, electric, food mortgages and god knows whatever else they going to tax us on.

I simply thinking to myself how the hell are people suppose to survive the next few years? You have no chance if your on a low income job. I think alot of people are going to seriously consider leaving the UK the way things are going

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

So council tax going up along with the gas, electric, food mortgages and god knows whatever else they going to tax us on.

I simply thinking to myself how the hell are people suppose to survive the next few years? You have no chance if you’re on a low income job. I think alot of people are going to seriously consider leaving the UK the way things are going

And we can thank the Tories for being heavily restricted in our ability to bugger off somewhere else (in the EU) too.

Just now, Genie said:

And we can thank the Tories for being heavily restricted in our ability to bugger off somewhere else (in the EU) too.

The thing is even if/when labour come in are they going to reverse these increases? I dont see how they can.

Food is a global problem

Gas and electricity is the russian war

Mortgages all of thats on that idiot truss. 

Council tax is the one i want to know Labour’s stance on that would they reverse this and try find another way to recoup the money? Seems this is the alternative to the NI rise that boris wanted to implement 

Am I the only person who thinks tax does need to go up? 

The country is falling apart. Its impossible to see a Doctor. Schools can't recruit teachers, every public service you can name is suffering. 

Yes efficiencies need to be driven in but that's a perennial problem regardless of who's in power. There is clearly a funding issue. 

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

The country is falling apart. Its impossible to see a Doctor. Schools can't recruit teachers, every public service you can name is suffering. 

Yes efficiencies need to be driven in but that's a perennial problem regardless of who's in power. There is clearly a funding issue. 

Yes, but on the fat earners at the top. Time to eat the rich and redistribute wealth for a fairer society. Will it happen though?

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

I think its not just funding i just dont think whatever reason public service  roles are that attractive to people. I work for nhs its hard work has its challenges and ok not best paid but i really enjoy working for it. We have so many gaps everywhere at the moment and i can only speak on my trust but we are not getting as many applications as we use to.

I suspect though when we start seeing masses of job losses when the recession kicks in we see that reversed as tahts what happened last time. By then it will be too late as there will be such excess numbers applying

1 minute ago, maltesemike said:

Yes, but on the fat earners at the top. Time to eat the rich and redistribute wealth for a fairer society. Will it happen though?

It's a utopian view unfortunately. The really rich have ways of moving money about. France tried it and ended up collecting less tax as the rich just moved their wealth abroad. See Gerrard Depardieu. 

I'm afraid the "rich" is going to have to include mid earners. 

• Like 1

I think one issue and i dont want to label them all (as alot do pay their fair share) is the self employed people. I openly know people who dont pay as much as tax as they should be as they take cash in hand jobs and dont declare it all. 

I think this is a area they really need to work on.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It's a utopian view unfortunately. The really rich have ways of moving money about. France tried it and ended up collecting less tax as the rich just moved their wealth abroad. See Gerrard Depardieu. 

Thats a good point sid. Also the rich that own mutiple businesses will just making people redundant or let them go so they still keep more money for themselves.

I dont mind paying more tax if things were going well but you cant have everything going up significantly and your wages stay the same.

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It’s very frustrating.

The lowest earners don’t pay any tax, but will generally receive the most from the state.

The highest earners can manage their finances such that they pay little to nothing.

Those in the middle generally get no money from the state but will be paying the lions share of government debt.

33 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing is even if/when labour come in are they going to reverse these increases? I dont see how they can.

Food is a global problem

Gas and electricity is the russian war

Mortgages all of thats on that idiot truss. 

Council tax is the one i want to know Labour’s stance on that would they reverse this and try find another way to recoup the money? Seems this is the alternative to the NI rise that boris wanted to implement 

They can’t roll back a lot of the cost increases out in the world, but you can blame them for not being able to leave the country (although I suspect you’re one of the lucky ones with an EU passport).

You can also blame them for a lot of the rising mortgage and loan costs. 

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

They can’t roll back a lot of the cost increases out in the world, but you can blame them for not being able to leave the country (although I suspect you’re one of the lucky ones with an EU passport).

You can also blame them for a lot of the rising mortgage and loan costs. 

Nope I have a Uk passport i live in the UK

Just now, Genie said:

Bad times. I thought you might qualify for an EU passport with your Cypriot family connections.

Im hoping i can get a Cypriot ID card through my parents as they live in cyprus but its  along arse process. Passport i would have to be a resident. Have to admit I am tempted to **** off out of here and move there.

Â