Pre Match Thread

maqroll

12 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Hard to complain with the lineup. My worry is that when you dont rotate players you'll start having issues keeping the squad happy and recruiting players.  Players basically are being sent a message that their chance will only come when there is a suspension or injury.

Tough shit. The job is to keep getting results, not keep reserves happy. If they're good enough they will get a chance and if they're really good enough, they'll take it. Ultimately everything comes down to results and nothing should ever sacrifice that. We've blooded youngsters in the past who played 50+ times and never came good.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

This one feels like it’s going to be a tough match. I’m also hoping the lack of rotation is going to bite us in the ass. 

but then again, we probably need our best team out there to beat this seasons Wet Spam 

I assume you meant *isn't haha

• Like 1

Just now, smg said:

But if they take it they will keep their place

For where we want to go as a club - and looking at our current squad depth, feel you need to have some sort of rotation system. Would not say this if we had a bunch of kids or the likes of  Taylor/Hourihane on the bench.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Gerrard trusted him to start v Chelsea and Man. United.

I've always suspected he just sees Sanson as an alternative for McGinn and not Ramsey or Luiz so as long as McGinn is available Sanson isn't starting unless we tweak midfield structure.

He's still trusted at least to come on to see out games we're winning with 15-20 minutes left.

I still think the mistake against United and his reaction to it has blotted his copybook in the eyes of the manager, imo, that is.

• Like 1

VillaTalk Logic:

If we win:  Gerrard is a tactical genius for not rotating his lineup

If we don't win:  Gerrard is naive for not rotating his lineup

Konsa lost his place because when he was out injured, Chambers played a blinder...  Chambers played well again the following game, so Konsa needs to buy his time.  Sanson hasn't done anything at all in his appearances to warrant a start.  JJ had an off day last week, but he's young and inconsistency is something ALL young players will deal with.  

I dont know if the stats line up but I feel that West Ham are one of those teams that always rolls us over, our record against them must be abysmal over the last decade (happily be proven wrong). 

We had some good results since the Watford performance but this is a different type of game, are we able the graft out a result, to at the least stop me rambling like this in future fixtures against the 🔨🔨🔨

Edited by Villan_of_oz

We've played 5 games in a month with a week gap between all but the last one. I think people are overdoing the "we need to rotate" narrative. It's not like we've been to eastern Europe mid week. I'm sure they can manage.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I dont know if the stats line up but I feel that West Ham are one of those teams that always rolls us over, our record against them must be abysmal over the last decade (happily be proven wrong). 

We had some good results since the Watford performance but this is a different type of game, are we able the graft out a result, to at the least stop me rambling like this in future fixtures against the 🔨🔨🔨

Our record in the last 6 matches against them is 4 losses and 2 draws.

Just now, Villan_of_oz said:

We had some good results since the Watford performance but this is a different type of game, are we able the graft out a result, to at the least stop me rambling like this in future fixtures against the 🔨

my own opinion, which could ofc be wrong!, is that what Spam tend to have over us in recent years is their midfield.

In rice and Soucek they have two very good, very powerful, and very aggressive central midfield players marshalling the team, maybe not so much right now, but certainly our kryptonite since we have been back in the Prem, is our inability to deal with, or compete with very aggressive and powerful midfields of other teams etc.

If there is a difference in class between the two teams, i really think its in the Soucek/Rice vs our midfield mirror, i reckon if you put Soucek & Rice in our midfield, it would transform us (obviously completely unrealistic!).

Hopefully we will sort this in the summer, as we all know we need something similar in our midfield.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

We've played 5 games in a month with a week gap between all but the last one. I think people are overdoing the "we need to rotate" narrative. It's not like we've been to eastern Europe mid week. I'm sure they can manage.

Yeah, I think the people who are saying this really just want to see the likes of Sanson and Buendia in the starting lineup regardless of the reason.

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I still think the mistake against United and his reaction to it has blotted his copybook in the eyes of the manager, imo, that is.

Yeah could be that aswell. He was certainly put in cold storage for a few weeks after despite our midfield being abysmal v Newcastle and Watford.

Bit more back in favour so hopefully he's on at the hour mark if JJ is struggling to get in the game.

9 minutes ago, R.Bear said:

Tough shit. The job is to keep getting results, not keep reserves happy. If they're good enough they will get a chance and if they're really good enough, they'll take it. Ultimately everything comes down to results and nothing should ever sacrifice that. We've blooded youngsters in the past who played 50+ times and never came good.

His job is to do both right. You've got to keep the squad happy, not just get results. If you can't it all falls apart. 

20 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Coaches know best. I trust them. 

It's tricky isn't it. If 'coaches know best', then I guess no manager would ever lose their job, and the recent matches against Newcastle and Watford wouldn't have happened. Dean Smith wouldn't have been a Villa manager, because Steve Bruce wouldn't have lost his job, because he wouldn't have ever been appointed in the first place unless Di Matteo had stepped away from football, who also wouldn't have been required at the club... Let's just take one of the most celebrated coaches of the day, who almost always seems to know best in Pep Guardiola, except when it comes to the Champions League, and his 'always knows best' crumbles to pieces.

Coaches know best is a pretty meaningless statement. But of course that's not to say we know any better... except when it seems obvious the human being in the dug out is flawed and stubborn and doesn't really seem to know what to do for the best.

Just now, MaVilla said:

my own opinion, which could ofc be wrong!, is that what Spam tend to have over us in recent years is their midfield.

In rice and Soucek they have two very good, very powerful, and very aggressive central midfield players marshalling the team, maybe not so much right now, but certainly our kryptonite since we have been back in the Prem, is our inability to deal with, or compete with very aggressive and powerful midfields of other teams etc.

If there is a difference in class between the two teams, i really think its in the Soucek/Rice vs our midfield mirror, i reckon if you put Soucek & Rice in our midfield, it would transform us (obviously completely unrealistic!).

Hopefully we will sort this in the summer, as we all know we need something similar in our midfield.

We struggle physically v them usually. Last season we gave away two cheap goals from set pieces down there, think it was Ogbonna who came in steaming at the back post from a corner early on and then Bowen scored from another cross right at start of second.

We're not that great v physical and direct teams as our general record v Burnley shows and West Ham have better technical players.

This is a good time to play them though, inbetween a huge european tie and not like they're even in that good form in the prem despite still being in a good league position. In recent times they've been held 1-1 by Newcastle and lost to Southampton at home.