Pre Match Thread

maqroll

6 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I definitely get that and I'm surprised that Sanson doesn't start - the one thing in our favour is that West Ham are in a similar position - presumably we're hoping our quality will see us through in a battle between two tired teams.

Yeah it's good that West Ham also played on Thursday night, phew, so we're even in that respect.

So much for Rice and Antonio being rested for their return leg v Sevilla though! Boo.

8 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He's 20 or whatever, he'll be fine.

Being fresh is not only a physical thing, it's also about the mental state. To me it looks like he could do with a little break, Sanson has done enough to earn a start as well I'd say

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trom_borg said:

Being fresh is not only a physical thing, it's also about the mental state. To me it looks like he could do with a little break, Sanson has done enough to earn a start as well I'd say

Me too. Thought he would miss the Leeds game, tbh. He looked to be struggling quite badly in the Southampton game, to me. 

• Like 2

Surprised we're unchanged despite the recent good form, just don't want another flat performance like v Newcastle.

West Ham gone far stronger than I thought they would, hopefully they start off slow and we take advantage like in last three games when we've scored within first 20 minutes.

We were completely mugged in this game last season so due some luck v them.

14 minutes ago, sne said:

Predictable 11.

Nothing wrong going with a winning team but I hope we don't run them into the ground a'la MON, we do have a squad to use these days.

Guess the issue is if we were just playing 4-3-3 then it would be easier to sub in likes of Bailey and Traore as it's just straight swops but it's harder to get them in the Gerrard system.

I do think Sanson for Ramsey would've been logical today as yes JJ has dipped a little as tends to happen to young players when they're starting week in week out so no harm to take him out and bring him back v Arsenal or after the break.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nepal_villan said:

Hard to complain with the lineup. My worry is that when you dont rotate players you'll start having issues keeping the squad happy and recruiting players.  Players basically are being sent a message that their chance will only come when there is a suspension or injury.

Equally, if a player is in the side, doing well, and the side is winning, it’s hard on them and bad on their morale to drop them. It also makes players more desperate to stay in the side when they do get in. I share your worry, but it’s an eternal dilemma and why managers have a hard job.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

As long as these boys have still got the energy, this is our best team at the moment. West Ham will also be hungover from their Spain trip (hopefully) and we’ve got enough quality on the bench to change the game or kill the game. 

😮🤔 Ooh that will be great if you're right... Let's hope they had a right old Cockney knees up Mother Brown after the game with loads of San Miguel and sangría.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, will87 said:

Our bench won't stay strong if none of them are getting game time, they'll all be off in the summer.

If we had a load of kids on the bench, people would be moaning at a lack of experience. Maybe, we should try having a blend of youth and experience on the bench, I don’t know, it’s just a suggestion

8 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Surprised West Ham have not rotated either, they were chasing shadows on warm evening in Seville on Thursday and have their biggest game of the season in the 2nd leg this Thursday. Rice looked exhausted after being ill last week too. We really need to play at a high tempo against these. Big test for Chambers against Antonio too.

You can bet Moyes will tell Rice and Soucek to put little reducers in on Coutinho early on, just hope the ref is wise to that and dosen't just start booking ours for nothing fouls after 20 minutes as happened in one game recently.

Phil v Rice is a fascinating battle here, whoever wins that personal duel will probably win their team the match you suspect. 

• Like 1

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

Sanson has done fine coming on in the last few games, but I wonder if SG trusts him from the start. He's one of those midfielders who can exploit space and obviously there is plenty of that when the opposition are tired.

Gerrard trusted him to start v Chelsea and Man. United.

I've always suspected he just sees Sanson as an alternative for McGinn and not Ramsey or Luiz so as long as McGinn is available Sanson isn't starting unless we tweak midfield structure.

He's still trusted at least to come on to see out games we're winning with 15-20 minutes left.

6 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

Hard to complain with the lineup. My worry is that when you dont rotate players you'll start having issues keeping the squad happy and recruiting players.  Players basically are being sent a message that their chance will only come when there is a suspension or injury.

I think as long as players are getting enough minutes from the bench then they should feel themselves as an integral part of the squad. All the more so if they're coming on and contributing to us getting three points. 

This one feels like it’s going to be a tough match. I’m also hoping the lack of rotation isn’t going to bite us in the ass. 

but then again, we probably need our best team out there to beat this seasons Wet Spam 

Edited by CarryOnVilla

12 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

But if they take it they will keep their place

• Like 1

When you’ve won three on the spin, it’s hard to be critical, but I don’t see the logic here.  We have some very capable players on the bench, should trust at least one or two to be able to do a job.