Match Thread: Newcastle v Villa

limpid

Zero shots on target, against Newcastle :unsure:

Dire first half and I really hope we make some changes at HT.

He's not been the worst Villa player but I fear McGinn will be sent off unless he's subbed.

Hyperbole aside, we were sluggish in the opening 20, JJ started brightly and we've seen the bright attacks going down the middle. The ref has given us nothing, utterly nothing. Full backs very poor. When Ollie has the ball he's either being fouled (and not getting anything) or looks off of the boil.

The game is there. We need to snap out of the lulls we give ourselves and press better up the pitch.

5/10 so far.

• Like 2

Be very interesting to see if Gerrard gets a reaction out of the players this half, as it was a big criticism of Smith that he couldn’t get one. I think a couple of changes are required now to be honest. 6 or 7 deserve the hook at this point. 

Just now, Villarocker said:

Watkins is seriously pissing me off. Whenever the ball goes near him it is as if the ball is stuck in cement - it just stops dead. He's killing all our attacks. I'd personally take off JJ today and put Watkins out wide left with Ings going down the middle. Watkins will have more space against Trippier and get the ball to feet more than to his head. Put Coutinho through the centre behind Ings and keep getting him on the ball. 

His first touch has been woeful but he's been no worse than anyone else. 

Just now, grobs said:

Watkins and luiz oh dear lord. How bad can players be? I half expected them to come off before HT

Luiz - if he's not giving the ball away in dangerous positions he's doing 1 touch passes back to the man under pressure.

If ever there was an advertisement for Bissouma - this is it.

Just now, Villarocker said:

Watkins is seriously pissing me off. Whenever the ball goes near him it is as if the ball is stuck in cement - it just stops dead. He's killing all our attacks. I'd personally take off JJ today and put Watkins out wide left with Ings going down the middle. Watkins will have more space against Trippier and get the ball to feet more than to his head. Put Coutinho through the centre behind Ings and keep getting him on the ball. 

Can't we put it behind for him to run onto? He's quicker than their back line. 

• Like 1