Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The comments from the manager about changing captains indicates to me we might be interested to sell

I’d like to think we aren’t interested in selling him. But thanks I only really read the transfer rumours on topic these days so I missed that.

9 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So far this season we've conceded 4 goals more than last season, and least season we supposedly has one of the best defenses in the league

Yeah, we had decent goals against stats outside the top 5. We could conceivably concede 6-10 more goals than last year, which is obviously going backwards. In tight matches, these goals have cost us plenty of points as our unusually low amount of draws and high defeats show. So I maintain, we concede too many goals. Its something we need to improve on.

But let me restate, I want to keep Mings. He's a first class character and a good player. I just want better options.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

Let’s sell another captain to a club that’s got some new oil money very good strategy.

Comparing Barry a premier league legend to mings..... nope.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So far this season we've conceded 4 goals more than last season, and least season we supposedly has one of the best defenses in the league

34 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Yeah, we had decent goals against stats outside the top 5. We could conceivably concede 6-10 more goals than last year, which is obviously going backwards. In tight matches, these goals have cost us plenty of points as our unusually low amount of draws and high defeats show. So I maintain, we concede too many goals. Its something we need to improve on.

But let me restate, I want to keep Mings. He's a first class character and a good player. I just want better options.

I like Mings, he's a leader on and off the pitch.

In regards to goals conceded this PL season has been one of THE highest for goals scored.

Hence it's difficult to keep clean sheets unless a team has spent over half a billion pounds on their defence (Man S****y).

4 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Optimistic Targets
Kamara (Atleti/AVFC), Belotti (Roma/West Ham), 

No thanks on Belotti. I follow Serie A and the Italian national team closely. He's an older, slower, less efficient version of what we already have. Had one outstanding season five years ago and over 30% of his goals since have come on penalties. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

In regards to goals conceded this PL season has been one of THE highest for goals scored.

Hence it's difficult to keep clean sheets unless a team has spent over half a billion pounds on their defence (Man S****y).

After a bit of Googling, Oleksandr Zinchenko only cost them £1.7m. It just goes to show that even Man City can find bargains

We only paid £20m for Tyrone Mings, yes he does make mistakes quite regularly but lately he has been playing quite brilliantly for us and he has been minimising the mistakes. In today’s transfer market £20m is peanuts, for me, he has been a bargain

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

just saw a vid of Coutinho saying Firmino is his favourite "brazilian" striker.....

i wonder......

We can only dream of getting a player like him. He's far too good for us. He'd have lots of Champions League clubs interested.

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

We have the 7th best defensive record in the League since Gerrard took over and it would be better if we had a proper CDM and Konsa hadn't had as poor a season as he's had.

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

We have the 7th best defensive record in the League since Gerrard took over and it would be better if we had a proper CDM and Konsa hadn't had as poor a season as he's had.

Aren’t Nakamba and Iroegbunam proper CDMs?

56 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

just saw a vid of Coutinho saying Firmino is his favourite "brazilian" striker.....

i wonder......

I'd much rather Firmino over Suarez if i'm honest.

Would be a good addition IMO, and would probably help either of our other strikers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

You didn’t answer my question 

Nakamba is a DM but not a very good one.

Iroegbunam played further forward for much of his youth career but will probably to develop into one.

The comment you replied to (not mine) said 'if only we had a proper DM'. They were right, as no, we did not have a proper DM. We didn't have Nakamba and Iroegbunam is, first of all, a child and second of all, needs to be developed into the DM he'll become.

17 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Did not know that - bodes very well for next season.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Did not know that - bodes very well for next season.

Hopefully it'll be 6th best if we can keep a clean sheet today and Palace don't. Wolves are in 5th and if they take a big beating to Liverpool and we lose 1-0 or so to City we could be 5th best.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

Nakamba is a DM but not a very good one.

Iroegbunam played further forward for much of his youth career but will probably to develop into one.

The comment you replied to (not mine) said 'if only we had a proper DM'. They were right, as no, we did not have a proper DM. We didn't have Nakamba and Iroegbunam is, first of all, a child and second of all, needs to be developed into the DM he'll become.

Why do you think Nakamba isn’t a good player? We only paid £11m for him, for me, it was a bargain. When he’s out inured, there is a definite negative effect on the team

I have only seen Iroegbunam once live but anyone can tell the quality he has within 5 minutes of watching him. He is going to be a top player like Feeney

1 hour ago, Mazrim said:

To be honest, since the moment Jack Grealish left. It was all about stability. I think generally we’ve done ok. Could’ve been much better, but again could’ve been worse. So far Gerrard is doing fine. The defence are having much more mistakes than last season which is an issue. But that could suggest that our system is improving and needs just to make less mistakes. 
My only regret is that we didn’t give more players some minutes (nor starts for Chuck lately. We won’t have a better chance. I look forward for next window. Couple of signing would help us turn into a stronger team. We just need to get it right. We shouldn’t panic. Even 2-3 would be enough but we need them right.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think Nakamba isn’t a good player? We only paid £11m for him, for me, it was a bargain. When he’s out inured, there is a definite negative effect on the team

I have only seen Iroegbunam once live but anyone can tell the quality he has within 5 minutes of watching him. He is going to be a top player like Feeney

I like Nakamba, he's worth keeping around. His break up play is good. But he also gives it away a lot. His second touch is a tackle too often.

He did a good job Vs Liverpool but also we were all further back so he had more options Round him when he won the ball, he was a touch rusty but that's expected.

Vs Palace he put us under pressure too often, wasn't involved as much and we were more expansive in our positioning (as we should be) he struggled. He made 2 interceptions (actually more than Vs Liverpool) and a couple of tackles but his overall play was back to his Smith era-performances.

We need someone who can do what he did Vs Liverpool but also make simple passes. Ideally they need to be better at progressive carries and progressive passes.

His passing is poor for simple passes. One good thing I will say about it is he lays it off quick if he does get it further up the pitch. He doesn't slow down play and tries to keep the ball moving. But he pretty much will always go sideways, even if the player has only just given him the ball. He shifts the play and the ball quickly but almost as though he's shifting the responsibility (that may be harsh).

In more defensive positions, he doesn't release the ball for the counter, he doesn't carry the ball forwards, his forwards passes often seem to be haphazard and without a target.

As i said, we need someone who can do what he did Vs Liverpool but also move play forwards and be smarter with his possession of the ball. It may be said that as the DM he doesn't need to - but he puts us under pressure too often because of how he is

Final part, he just looks clumsy, refereeing is poor in the Prem and that's not his fault. But he looks clumsy and it gives the ref's decisions to make - they aren't good enough to do that and so we give away too many freekicks in important areas when he's on the pitch (although the same can be said about Dougie, comes in from behind with his hands up too often)

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

Will be interesting to see how the clubs likely competing for 7th place do in this window. West Ham, Leicester, Newcastle and maybe Wolves. If Villa can strengthen more than they do we could advance.

The six big clubs will most likely keep making signings out of our reach and widen the gap.