Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

46 minutes ago, duke313 said:

So looks like Phillips could be off to City if the papers are to be believed, Southgate will love that.

and they would have the same numbers of homegrown players assuming Gundogan/Sterling out and Phillips/Haaland in. Easy to forget that rule. At least for me.

Just now, NoelVilla said:

and they would have the same numbers of homegrown players assuming Gundogan/Sterling out and Phillips/Haaland in. Easy to forget that rule. At least for me.

Wouldn't Haaland count as homegrown? He was born in Leeds.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

You would assume it is nationalities someone holds and where they are trained/played under the ages of 21.....

I don't know the ins and outs though just my guess.

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Wiki says "Currently, to be classified as homegrown one must be on an English team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one" so I would say no but not sure.

6 minutes ago, NoelVilla said:

Wiki says "Currently, to be classified as homegrown one must be on an English team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one" so I would say no but not sure.

The lad was born here though..... he was eligible to play for England, surely that means the training is irrelevant? 

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

The lad was born here though..... he was eligible to play for England, surely that means the training is irrelevant? 

It isn't. Home grown is about ensuring that academies are producing talent, it isn't a nationalist thing. 

Messi at Barca homegrown. Hargreaves at Bayern Home Grown. Der Hammer here, homegrown. 

Edited by Dale
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I can only find that rule and that there is non-English players that are considered homegrown; Fabregas and Gnabry for example.

1 minute ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

One prediction before the summer is that Villa like to make deals early, so two weeks from now the key signings could possibly already be announced.

That would be ideal.

Every single season Villa seem to sign players late in the window or a key player leaves.

If we can sign players before preseason it gives everyone the time to gel with the team and we can be stronger and more prepared.

3 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

That would be ideal.

Every single season Villa seem to sign players late in the window or a key player leaves.

If we can sign players before preseason it gives everyone the time to gel with the team and we can be stronger and more prepared.

I think SG said he wants the bulk of signings done before the tour of Oz.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Stupidest transfer rumour in the Mirror - we are going to sell Ty to Newcastle for £35m and bring in Joe Gomez. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

One plays RB / RCB and the other is our Captain and plays LCB

Hilarious

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

That's a fair point and one I was thinking about. His pass completion % is shocking and has been so for all his seasons at Burnley. Especially his short passing. Plus at 29 he's never played any football in a side that requires passing from the back. It's just not a player we need at all. We need a different option in CB who is elite at passing or a younger player with huge potential 

Aerial dominance would be novel.

14 minutes ago, Dale said:

It isn't. Home grown is about ensuring that academies are producing talent, it isn't a nationalist thing. 

Messi at Barca homegrown. Hargreaves at Bayern Home Grown. Der Hammer here, homegrown. 

Yea I get foreign players can be home grown that way, I just find it unbelievable that British nationals wouldn't automatically be homegrown.

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Stupidest transfer rumour in the Mirror - we are going to sell Ty to Newcastle for £35m and bring in Joe Gomez. 

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'd seriously consider 35m for him, but there's no way I would be passing it onto Liverpool for Gomez.

It would be going to Lille for Sven Botman.

Just now, paul514 said:

Yea I get foreign players can be home grown that way, I just find it unbelievable that British nationals wouldn't automatically be homegrown.

It depends on what you see the purpose of the policy for. It's about youth development in the country, if no English club has contributed to the development they're not homegrown. Homegrown is a poor name, it should be Domestic Academy products or something. 

So whilst much of Gerrards conference was standard fare, the bit about '1 or 2 are close' and the 'free market being quicker' We know there'll be atleast one free agent joining. Or atleast targeted.

Here's the top value (Transfermarkt) freebies and what's expected.

No Chance (Grey = Confirmed)
Mbappe (RM/PSG), Pogba (PSG/Juve), Kessie (Barca confirmed), Rudiger (RM Confirmed), Christensen (Barca Confirmed), Ousmane Dembele (Barca/Chelsea), Romagnoli (Chelsea, Barca), Mazraoui (Bayern Confirmed), Luis Felipe (Betis Confirmed), Di Maria (Juve), Tolisso (Liverpool, RM, Man U), Onana (Inter), Mbemba (Leaving Porto as he's lied about his age)

Very Unlikely (but limited links)
Dybala, 

Bernardeschi (Wants to stay at Juve)

Optimistic Targets
Kamara (Atleti/AVFC), Belotti (Roma/West Ham), 

Others (links) - Possibilities for us 
Lacazette (Lyon),
Tarkowski (NUFC/AVFC),  
Lingard (WH, Nufc, AVFC),  
Denayer (NUFC),  
Grillitsch (Arsenal) 
David Brooks 
Eriksson (Brentford) 

Anybody else falls.below £11m of Transfermarkt Value, bizarrely including:

Luis Suarez (Avfc), Modric (RM Confirmed), Origi (AC Milan), 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

It's quite amazing to see how Konsa's defensive stats this season have become so atrociously bad vs last season. 

I think we need someone who is comfortable in the air......amongst all the other pre-requisites.

Just now, TRO said:

I think we need someone who is comfortable in the air......amongst all the other pre-requisites.

We are bullied too easily in this department - it can’t all be done by Mings