Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

19 minutes ago, daggy_333 said:

I don't think the difference of a few places and 6/7 million quid is going to make a huge amount of difference in the grand scheme of things.

I does though, we can't go on spending like we have forever without increases in revenue 6 million is like having your stadium empty for 6 games.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

I does though, we can't go on spending like we have forever without increases in revenue 6 million is like having your stadium empty for 6 games.

Yep, £6m is basically the difference between being able to pay the whole annual salary for a top player on £115k/week or not signing that player because we couldn’t afford his wages.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Yep, £6m is basically the difference between being able to pay the whole annual salary for a top player on £115k/week or not signing that player because we couldn’t afford his wages.

Bingo!

I also don't feel comfortable about being so flippant over our owners money who have been so good for us.

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

The Athletic had an article about it the other week. Said it was £2.2mper place

Which is £8.8 million between 10th and 14th that we are missing out on.

I think the one positive to this indifferent end to the season we're having is that it leaves no doubt that if we want to climb up the table and challenge for trophies we need significant improvements, we've got a midtable squad at best. Should be an interesting summer window.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, useless said:

I think the one positive to this indifferent end to the season we're having is that it leaves no doubt that if we want to climb up the table and challenge for trophies we need significant improvements, we've got a midtable squad at best. Should be an interesting summer window.

I believe our squad is better than where it is, it is a top half squad without doubt.

• Like 3

If it's a top half squad it's only marginally a top half squad, our aim for next season should be higher than that it should be to challenge at least for top seven, our squad is nowhere near that, hence as a consequence; for this reason we need to improve our team with a significant upgrade in quality.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, useless said:

If it's a top half squad it's only marginally a top half squad, our aim for next season should be higher than that it should be to challenge at least for top seven, our squad is nowhere near that, hence as a consequence; for this reason we need to improve our team with a significant upgrade in quality.

It's not near getting 6th.

10th-7th No problem should they be to anywhere near what they are capable and the correct tactics used.

1 minute ago, useless said:

If Burnley could qualify for Europa League a few years ago with more or less the same team as now, maybe we can too?

But seriously, of course we should strive to improve. Squad and also tactics, coaching, fitness levels, everything needs to be better.

• Like 1

We want to build a team that can establish itself as part of the elite, not have one or two seasons where we overachieve before dropping down the table again as has happened with so many others. We need to build a squad, team, that's capable of challenging for top seven and staying there and not have that be our limit but want to push on even further.

• Like 1

I don't think they'll be wholesale changes tbh, just culling of some squad players but every prem side from Chelsea downwards will be doing that.

What this season has shown is we desperately need to get the DM position right.

Beyond that I don't see much change in defence bar better back up for FBs and in final third it's all about finding the right attacking combination rather than adding more players.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I don't think they'll be wholesale changes tbh, just culling of some squad players but every prem side from Chelsea downwards will be doing that.

What this season has shown is we desperately need to get the DM position right.

Beyond that I don't see much change in defence bar better back up for FBs and in final third it's all about finding the right attacking combination rather than adding more players.

This season, and tonight’s game even more so, has also shown the current midfield is extremely attack minded. I’m not sure even the best DM will give us a balanced midfield if the other midfield options are McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia, Coutinho and Chuk. They all charge forward and are happiest in the final third.

I think we will sign a central defender, a left-back, a DM, and another forward.

We might need to strengthen the attack and midfield more, as we've got a number of players in those positions that could potentially leave.

I can see at least another five or six coming in.

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

This season, and tonight’s game even more so, has also shown the current midfield is extremely attack minded. I’m not sure even the best DM will give us a balanced midfield if the other midfield options are McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia, Coutinho and Chuk. They all charge forward and are happiest in the final third.

Well we'll be signing two as Luiz and Sanson will be off I think so perhaps better balance will be another sitter in 8 and then giving Ramsey licence to push forward. Feels time is right now for McGinn to go to rotation player but not sure Gerrard will see it that way.

2 hours ago, daggy_333 said:

We aren't going to go out and spend the amount of money Wan Bissaka would cost on a player to rotate with Cash. We're not Man City.

Didnt United also pay 50 million for him