Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Did anyone watch Villa View Transfer Pod with Bardell?

He claims we missed out on our number 1 CM target.

Apparently the player was " available " at one stage, then all of a sudden their Club changed their mind and said he was no longer available.

Would be interesting to find out who that was.

Sounds like Gallagher doesn’t it? If so he can be added to JWP, Bissouma and Bentancur as central midfielders who escaped.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Did anyone watch Villa View Transfer Pod with Bardell?

He claims we missed out on our number 1 CM target.

Apparently the player was " available " at one stage, then all of a sudden their Club changed their mind and said he was no longer available.

Would be interesting to find out who that was.

Tielemans.

Actually that makes no sense nvm

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Definitely will need a winger/wide player in Jan. It will probably be the first area of concern when we get a new manager in.

We have lost Grealish, Trezeguet and Traore who all played out wide. We've replaced them with Bailey, Coutinho and Buendia. On paper, other than Grealish, you would be right in saying we have upgraded. However, the three replacements are more like inside forwards than wingers.

Also on paper, we should be getting a whole lot more from those replacements. Knock Trez and Traore as much as you like but they contributed more on the occasions they were playing in the team than any of their replacements have so far. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Absolutely full of shit.

What's the point in saying stuff like that and not saying a name?

I heard we were in for a winger miles better than Sarr. That's why we pulled out. Who? Ah, don't worry. He was available at one point though.

Kenneth Williams Archive (@KENNETHWILLlAMS) / Twitter

• Haha 1

Okay so it was a day full of negatives , ill start with the positives 

- We Managed to Keep Luiz 

- Bednarek is only a loan deal

- Dendocker was only 13 million 

However Bednarek starting will only give me flashbacks of the two 9-0 losses he played in 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

13 minutes ago, RicRic said:

However Bednarek starting will only give me flashbacks of the two 9-0 losses he played in 🤦🏽‍♂️ 

Don't  worry - if you're worried it's only flashbacks you might only have to wait until Saturday

I think Dendoncker will be an astute signing, and is what we need in midfield. He’s a taller, stronger and better technique version of Nakamba. I’m not saying it’s not slightly underwhelming or unimaginative, but I think it’ll turn out to be a good signing. 

Bednarek is better than Konsa, certainly on form, and I’d rotate him and Chambers depending on the opposition. 

It was a shame we didn’t manage to sell Nakamba, Guilbert and Sanson (although I personally would keep the latter two, but seems they’re well out of favour). It is worth remembering though that the window is still open in Belgium (6th September - could see Nakamba going back there, and maybe even Guilbert going there), Turkey (8th September - Sanson has been linked there a few times this summer, can see that happening), Greece (15th September - unlikely anyone goes there, admittedly) and Israel (28th September - even less likely). 

• Like 3

So this is how I've interpreted it... may just be wishful thinking.

The signings we've made are shrewd decent squad options, so fairly safe choices.

The fact that exciting continental midfielders and £25m wingers didn't materialise... Is that because we didn't want Gerrard to spend too much with his departure on the horizon?

Might be a reach, I know 😆

Edited by Chap of Steel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Last 3 windows have a total net spend of £30m, and the squad has improved during that time despite Grealish leaving, which is a small positive I guess.

However, this will mostly be a benefit if we change the manager to one that has real pedigree and we can give him £200m to really push us on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

When we lose 9-0 against ManCity on Saturday, if he plays we know who to blame

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

I think Dendoncker will be an astute signing, and is what we need in midfield. He’s a taller, stronger and better technique version of Nakamba. I’m not saying it’s not slightly underwhelming or unimaginative, but I think it’ll turn out to be a good signing. 

Bednarek is better than Konsa, certainly on form, and I’d rotate him and Chambers depending on the opposition. 

It was a shame we didn’t manage to sell Nakamba, Guilbert and Sanson (although I personally would keep the latter two, but seems they’re well out of favour). It is worth remembering though that the window is still open in Belgium (6th September - could see Nakamba going back there, and maybe even Guilbert going there), Turkey (8th September - Sanson has been linked there a few times this summer, can see that happening), Greece (15th September - unlikely anyone goes there, admittedly) and Israel (28th September - even less likely). 

You have a point about windows closing later in some other countries, maybe we intend to ship players there. Looks strange with Nakamba, Sanson and Guilbert so clearly out of favour yet still not sold or even sent on loan.

Unimpressed by the club TBH. To allow Sanson, Nakamba, Traore to wither whilst failing to meaningfully finish the job of improving elsewhere is a major fail after a very professional start to the window. We don’t look improved sufficiently vs our upwardly mobile rivals to think we will have a better season. Couple that with the mess Gerrard is bringing to the pitch on match day it will be a long season of turmoil.

I can only assume after the terrible start the higher ups are manoeuvring a manager change and saving a war chest for his indulgence.

However our sporting director should be buying for the club irrespective of who the Manager is in order that any change is not so damaging? E should have closed those deals. I am surprised that Brentford picked up Damsgaard at a very good price, surely Lange wouldn’t have had a view on him and would have suited our midfield/forward line with some headroom for player improvement in ability and value? 

Sadly the cult of personality around Gerrard has seemingly spread everywhere and derailed our sensible and progressive policy. Another reason he should go.

Edited by thunderball
  • Thanks 1

I don't think Dendoncker is a particularly poor signing, but he's going to need to play next to Kamara (not in front/instead of him) with either McGinn or JJ in front, otherwise we're still going to be horribly overrun.

Kamara, Dendoncker, McGinn, Luiz, Ramsay is not screaming Top 10 midfield.

14 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Last 3 windows have a total net spend of £30m, and the squad has improved during that time despite Grealish leaving, which is a small positive I guess.

However, this will mostly be a benefit if we change the manager to one that has real pedigree and we can give him £200m to really push us on.

I agree. I think there’s money to spend but not for Gerrard - the squad is good enough to compete without him.