Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, CVByrne said:

I believe the order for no6 is Kamara > Luiz > Nakamba in Gerrards eyes. We fans can have our opinions but I'd be surprised if Tim or Chambers were thrown into no6 in place of Naka. Tim maybe later in season when he's had more game time, but right now he'd be behind Naka

I thought Marv was first choice DM last season under Gerrard ?

• Like 1

Just now, CVByrne said:

I believe the order for no6 is Kamara > Luiz > Nakamba in Gerrards eyes. We fans can have our opinions but I'd be surprised if Tim or Chambers were thrown into no6 in place of Naka. Tim maybe later in season when he's had more game time, but right now he'd be behind Naka

Very possible, are loads of things I've not agreed on with Gerrard and other managers we've had. Been both wrong and right about those things.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was until he actually came back and started playing then we remembered he was crap.  When he was out injured he was being talked about as if he was Makalele.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

No mate, Carney news was yesterday. My post is today. So when I say one out I'm not in the dark about Carney leaving. I read the news. 

So what I said was pretty much bang on. One more out before we can consider another 8 coming in

I agree, we've too many senior players at 8, I'd be surprised to see another incoming unless they were confident on an outgoing.

15 minutes ago, duke313 said:

He was until he actually came back and started playing then we remembered he was crap.  When he was out injured he was being talked about as if he was Makalele.

You’re right a lot of players find that the physio table is the best position for their short term career. 

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I'm not convinced, Nakamba was out for 6 months last season and then missed all of pre season, where Iroegbunam got a decent number of minutes.

I think Tim will have leapfrogged him

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He was for the first 5 games or so until his injury. When he came back from injury he never really unseated Luiz again. A few appearances here or there but Luiz was firmly ahead of him.

May well be it was fitness related but there wasn't a lot of discussion about that IIRC

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

He was for the first 5 games or so until his injury. When he came back from injury he never really unseated Luiz again. A few appearances here or there but Luiz was firmly ahead of him.

May well be it was fitness related but there wasn't a lot of discussion about that IIRC

I thought it was fitness related. I’m sure he played against Liverpool but had to be taken off as was shattered. 

If we do sign another player I just want it to be of the calibre of Carlos and Kamara. In terms of squad players we have plenty and just need to up the quality. Assuming we might sign 1 more player I’d be hoping for a centre midfielder. However not a clue who would be a good person to go for. I still like the idea of Gallagher as a mcginn / Ramsey replacement 

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Nakamba under Gerrard was excellent until his injury. If we let him go and Kamara gets injured Luiz will end up back in that role again. He wasn’t expensive and wouldn’t be on big wages so I reckon it makes sense to keep him. Even if we keep him until the end of his contract and then release him on a free he’ll have cost us about £2.5m+wages per season which is good value for a PL squad player.

The problem with Marv is he is a 6/10 one week and 8/10 another.  To push on we need an 8/10 every week.  Thats what separates the best teams and the average teams

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

He didn't have much choice but to put faith in new signings. And knowing this, we bought them as early as was humanly possible once the transfer window opened. 

If we could have brought another more experienced midfielder then I would be happier , we were rumoured to be in for a couple that went elsewhere but I do wonder if there were any more available.

Not to say I don't think he's a good player because he does appear to have the makings of one and maybe one of our youngsters can break through, so much of our season depends upon the midfield and its ball retention and defensive cover, in Gerrard's system,  that it's a big  gamble. I don't see Nakamba as being good enough, even as a squad player. 

Having such great forward players that can't all play is also going to be an issue for Gerrard especially if the midfield doesn't immediately hit the ground running and we have to play 4 in there.

Can't wait for Saturday to see what we're going to look like , I have high hopes but some concerns. UTV  

• Like 1

Surely we our net spend we have not finished buying in this window? 

We seem to be stacked in the centre of midfield but, for me, there is still room for someone who can play out wide. We have Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Traore who can do that but three of them seem to prefer to play narrower and one who is inconsistent and who seems to be not too fancied by Gerrard. I think the perfect fit would be Jonathan David, like a few others have mentioned. He can play wide or down the middle.  

5 minutes ago, tinker said:

If we could have brought another more experienced midfielder then I would be happier , we were rumoured to be in for a couple that went elsewhere but I do wonder if there were any more available.

Not to say I don't think he's a good player because he does appear to have the makings of one and maybe one of our youngsters can break through, so much of our season depends upon the midfield and its ball retention and defensive cover, in Gerrard's system,  that it's a big  gamble. I don't see Nakamba as being good enough, even as a squad player. 

Having such great forward players that can't all play is also going to be an issue for Gerrard especially if the midfield doesn't immediately hit the ground running and we have to play 4 in there.

Can't wait for Saturday to see what we're going to look like , I have high hopes but some concerns. UTV  

I think we look very good, when we have the ball......my concerns still exist, when we haven't got the ball.

I would still like to see another midfielder come in.....Ndidi or Sangare, maybe...or Gallagher for his industry and pressing.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Villarocker said:

Surely we our net spend we have not finished buying in this window? 

We seem to be stacked in the centre of midfield but, for me, there is still room for someone who can play out wide. We have Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey and Traore who can do that but three of them seem to prefer to play narrower and one who is inconsistent and who seems to be not too fancied by Gerrard. I think the perfect fit would be Jonathan David, like a few others have mentioned. He can play wide or down the middle.  

I guess we would like to buy, but only if the new player is much better than current midfielders and if he would come to Villa rather than a top 6 or CL club.   We’d also probably still need to sell one other midfielder to accommodate the new signing as well which might be proving tricky.   It might be something that only happens right at the end of the window when options get narrowed for all clubs and players.

16 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

The problem with Marv is he is a 6/10 one week and 8/10 another.  To push on we need an 8/10 every week.  Thats what separates the best teams and the average teams

Agreed but we're not going to get a solid 8/10 player to sit on the bench until Kamara gets injured. We don't even know if Kamara will be that good of a player at this stage. Players getting 8/10 week in week out are playing CL football.