Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

We dont know that though, do we?  we all speculate, we cant see what but we dont know the market.  A quick example is in December, did we think we might upgrade Targett as well as we did in Digne? no chance because we didnt think of him, didnt know we had a chance with him and a month later we signed him, a big upgrade and a current French International.  Us fans dont know what is available or options or even what Gerrard/Lange are thinking.

Not sure it's the same thing as Digne, because the point is the pool of out-and-out strikers who are regularly scoring the number of goals I think we are talking about (I assume the 15-20 range minimum) seems on the face of it smaller than it has been before. Watkins was joint 120th in the Euro Golden Boot standings, at least a third of those above him were not strikers and at least half of those remaining strikers were in lower coefficient leagues. More than 15 goals in a top coefficient league would have got you into the top 40 in the Golden Boot standings, here's a list of centre forwards (transfermarkt's classification) that did that:

Lewandowski, Mbappe, Immobile, Benzema, Ben Yedder, Schick, Vlahovic, Moussa Dembele, Martinez, Haaland, Modeste, Ronaldo, Aspas, de Tomas, Simeone, Kane, Abraham, Scamacca, Unal

Not sure there's too many realistic options in that list.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John said:

There were only ever two men in Solitaire's life, but it now seems that she's waiting for your call;)

Live and Let Die (1973) Review |BasementRejects image.jpeg.1178958ceda62beef64f8f669d4fa4b4.jpeg image.jpeg.578c5b1557656b761278260fe205201a.jpeg

And according to wedding crashers, she just got her tits done too….

In 2005

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Shocked 1

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

Most 22 year old centre backs get better

that means it’s highly likely 

51% is most. If I tell you something will happen 51% of the time, does that make it highly likely, or is it still mostly a coin flip? I would argue fewer than most 22 year olds get better. For every 22 year old that improves, there are probably five who don't. You just don't remember them because why would you?

1 hour ago, tomsky_11 said:

That's an image that takes their performance from a different league and compares it to the percentiles those numbers would finish in a different league. In this instance, the Premier League. That's IF the player performs to the exact level in a different league, with a different team. The numbers are tools to get an idea of what a player can and can't do. They don't tell you "this is exactly how the player will perform in the Premier League." That's why teams have the numbers, and scouts.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I'm on the fence with him.  He was excellent his first season but last season he just wasnt, and his flaws were exposed.  You could also see last season the elite defenders pushing him towards his weaker areas because I assume they had studied his game before the match up and knew how to play him. 

For me this is a massive season for Ollie, either he steps up and advances or he will end up being a bottom half of the table striker and we should look at selling him and replacing him. 

Whatever happens he needs to sort of that first touch because even when he was on fire that first touch was awful.  I was really hoping he kicked on last season but he went massively backwards imo. 

Unfortunately I dont think he'll ever be a top player though, he's one of those strikers that at best is likely to be an excellent non-top six striker and at worst an good solid bottom half/midtable striker.  I have to believe it's the former rather than the latter but this season is a big season for him imo to prove something.

We’ll just have to see.

There’s plenty of players we could be on the fence with, not just Ollie. Plenty of them have to improve and show their quality, we haven’t seen anywhere near the best of our most recent signings.

Expect to see more from Ings too… if one of them is “off their game” hopefully the other one will step in and perform.

My current mood 😆 or view is that most of our players are going to be much better this season. We can’t be any worse and hopefully the season won’t be anywhere near as disruptive as the last couple. We can’t be finishing in the lower half of the table unless we have some sort of disaster, that won’t be acceptable now…

We’ve spent so much money and continue to do so (regardless of net spending), it’s time to have something to show for it. We can’t carry on like that unless we are progressing and improving  (success).

I’m almost taking this as SG’s first season with us and with a side he will be happy with. It’s the first full one anyway and first full preseason. There’s still plenty of time to make changes to the squad, both incomings and outgoings, so none of us really know how we will shape up for the start of the season.

If the players don’t perform now, as well as the manager, then they will be moved on. But I believe they all have more to show and should get that time and opportunity.

I’d rather be positive/optimistic and allow everyone a “clean slate”.

Just makes no sense to be pessimistic/negative to me. The club is trying to improve on and off the field and we are so lucky to have these owners.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

🤣 Stadium plans have nothing to do with FFP. Investing in the stadium will increase the value of the asset which is Aston Villa FC. So They're not "spending" £100m they're investing it to make them more money.

I'm sure I read that UEFA's proposed new iteration of FFP will include infrastructure and youth/women's team spending.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I envisage, with better players behind them and a bit more structure to us.....they will both exceed their tally from last season.

Of course they will, I don’t even see the point in a counter argument.

I’d go as far as saying we have two top ten class strikers for the league.

I don’t see the point upgrading them until the whole of the the defence and midfield is sorted.

that way you know the personnel and system you are playing to buy the striker to be the finishing touch.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

Who knows if he knows, will we ever know? No. 

"Whats the hold up?"

"...poor window, lack of ambition"

Not even in July yet! They should be a poster on here with that lack of patience!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Sam-AVFC said:

I'm sure I read that UEFA's proposed new iteration of FFP will include infrastructure and youth/women's team spending.

No, still excluded from the new FFP. It's based on players salaries and transfer fees being no more than 70% of the clubs income. 

Edited by CVByrne

1 minute ago, PaulMcGrath_5 said:

They probably are! 👀

Just frustrates me. Smacks of real entitlement. Basically in a roundabout way saying the owners lack ambition. 

The transfer window is open until 1st September. Two whole months more. 

I've posted this multiple times, but a great article on the modern online football fan (from a Liverpool perspective)

https://dean-magazine.ghost.io/archive/the-cold-dead-world-of-the-extremely-online-liverpool-fan/

The first thing you must understand about these fans is that transfers are the barometer by which they believe all footballing achievement must be gauged. Liverpool had a relatively quiet summer on the transfer front this year, but they still solved the most obvious hole in their squad by signing centre back Ibrahima Konate. Of course, that was never going to cut it for fans who deem “winning” the window as the most telling metric on whether or not a club is in good health. It’s fair to say that Liverpool Twitter in the closing days of window was in a state of anarchy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

🤣 Stadium plans have nothing to do with FFP. Investing in the stadium will increase the value of the asset which is Aston Villa FC. So They're not "spending" £100m they're investing it to make them more money.

As we don’t own the stadium it won’t have any impact in any way

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

Just frustrates me. Smacks of real entitlement. Basically in a roundabout way saying the owners lack ambition. 

It’s crazy really. 

I honestly believe that if the club did nothing until the last week of the window and then signed Kamara, Diego Carlos, Countinho and Olsen, it would be viewed as a great window. 

The trouble is with fans (though it makes perfect sense for the club to get stuff early) is that signings are forgotten about quickly in a window, and it’s just “ok where’s the next one”

31 minutes ago, Xela said:

"Whats the hold up?"

"...poor window, lack of ambition"

Not even in July yet! They should be a poster on here with that lack of patience!

That’s Twitter for you, and most of the kids today. Impatient.

If our current squad plays to 75% of its ability (a 7.5 every game) we have a very, very good and very talented squad and every chance of finishing 6th.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, av1 said:

It’s crazy really. 

I honestly believe that if the club did nothing until the last week of the window and then signed Kamara, Diego Carlos, Countinho and Olsen, it would be viewed as a great window. 

The trouble is with fans (though it makes perfect sense for the club to get stuff early) is that signings are forgotten about quickly in a window, and it’s just “ok where’s the next one”

It think it comes from posts back in March to the extent "big summer, we need 14 new players" how many posts in here want us to sell half of the starting 11 and buy new players? 

it was never going to happen

Too many want a new player in every position and its unrealistic

Its usually preceded by "if we want Europe next year" too, I don't believe that, we needed quality in key positions and to get more consistency out of what we already have, especially the strikers

This is a long game 

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

It think it comes from posts back in March to the extent "big summer, we need 14 new players" how many posts in here want us to sell half of the starting 11 and buy new players 

it was never going to happen

Too many want a new player in every position and its unrealistic

Its usually preceded by "if we want Europe next year" too, I don't believe that, we needed quality in key positions and to get more consistency out of what we already have, especially the strikers

This is a long game 

It's mental. People want a rebuild every season. The signing of a new player(s) becomes the most important thing. There is no thought that players can improve and develop. Remember the verdict on Ramsey at the start of last season ("dogshit mate")

• Like 1