Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

Just now, PieFacE said:

If we're looking for a passer I think we'll struggle to find anyone better than playing Luiz as an 8 or playing Buendia as an 8. Still don't quite understand why we haven't tried Buendia in a deeper role yet. 

Will be interesting to see if the links to Otavio come to anything. Could see him and Buendia alternating between the 10 and 8 positions during a match/season.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Botman and Carlos both weren't in the prem. If the "defending quality" and "defending quantity" are subjective scores that smarter scout puts in then fair enough it maybe isn't so clear cut.

Botman is better in the air than either of our choices so may complement our existing defender in Mings better, but looking at those images I'd say Carlos is a significantly better defender.

image.png.85fa840956eae0f25036b9346d6a6ead.pngimage.png.4a8f865d933114a9bb345e39f737e105.png

Basic fbref summaries for comparison.

Couple of points from the detail behind the above:

- Carlos' short and medium passing is a couple of % better. Attempting 50% more long passes at 4% lower accuracy brings his overall number shown above marginally below Botman.

- Both are in the top 10% for pressure success (Botman 42.5% vs Carlos 41%) but Carlos' tackle success numbers are better (wins 75.5% of tackles attempted vs. Botman 66.2%, while against dribbles its 60.6% vs 50%)

- Majority of Botman's 1.99 blocks per 90 are blocked passes (1.18) while majority of Carlos' 1.69 are blocked shots (1.07)

- Carlos' actually attempted marginally more aerial duels than Botman (4.04 vs 4.01) so the respective aerial success rates are 65.6% and 74.8%

• Thanks 1

Seems Carlos is a good match for Mings anyway, assuming he can maintain his retention statistics on the opposite side of the back 2. He should be able to given he's right footed. Mings wins the ball,  Carlos progresses it onwards.

Kamara has great retention stats and seems to be a better answer to our 6 position than Luiz. So he can receive the ball from Carlos (although Carlos also goes long a fair bit with better success than Mings), and retain it under pressure.

What we need is the progressor from there.

McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, and Sanson, are all decent options for me in that role. Either needing to improve consistency and stamina (McGinn), gain experience (Ramsey), or be given a chance in the role (Luiz/Sanson).

If we can get a proven world class option there,  we're well set for the season.  Ideally someone with a lot of experience and real consistent quality. I think it's a key that unlocks the full potential in our squad.

We may find it in house this season, but given we need 2 of them, I'm not convinced we'll strike gold twice, and we'll need to rotate.

• Like 1

Just now, Jas10 said:

Really hope we bid for Sangare or a similar player.

We have been weak and lightweight in midfield for far too long and struggle to keep possession. So sloppy and wasteful.

Kamara is going to help but it’s unfair to heap so much responsibility and burden on him alone, he needs a helping hand. And shouldn’t be under too much pressure.

Tired of us being overpowered and outmuscled in that midfield scrap, it’s about time we addressed that properly and stop losing/wasting possession so cheaply.

Overall, we’re quite a small and maybe even “weak” team. Some added physicality coupled with quality on the ball will really enhance us.

We have such a solid base with Mings & Carlos.

I’d like us to have similar in midfield (Kamara and Sangare should do the trick) and allow the attacking players to fully express themselves, let Buendia & Coutinho shine and JJ join in on the fun. McGinn can warm the bench & recuperate occasionally - he’s more of an asset when he’s in peak condition and gives us that energy.

If we keep Sanson and Luiz, they’re great options to have and will hopefully be fitter and in better form. We need options, it’s a squad game and we have 5 subs this season. Too many players we haven’t seen anywhere near the best of and shouldn’t be hasty with or desperate to discard…

Get the players used to a bit of rotation before heading into European competition and a more hectic schedule… it’s going to take a hell of a lot for us to achieve that but it’s been our aim for a while. Strengthen properly and get everyone fit and in form, then it doesn’t seem so unlikely…

I hope and expect to see much better form from the majority of our players. Just thinking of Coutinho and Buendia at the top of their games is exciting, imagine if we manage to get the best out of most of the others and add even more quality…

Maybe that’s too optimistic but I think it’s best to be positive and give everyone a “clean slate”. Last season was disruptive, hoping for more stability and success going forwards. The manager simply has to do better and I’m confident he and the players will…

Van Nistelrooy said he wants to stay another season 

In all honesty, it would be quite stupid of Chelsea to sell Gallagher. The kid has a very high ceiling.

However as noted I suspect the fact that he has had so much game time and is now highly coveted, could potentially force an issue.

At best I think they would send him back out on loan, but from their perspective he could be very useful.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

In all honesty, it would be quite stupid of Chelsea to sell Gallagher. The kid has a very high ceiling.

However as noted I suspect the fact that he has had so much game time and is now highly coveted, could potentially force an issue.

At best I think they would send him back out on loan, but from their perspective he could be very useful.

Either another loan, or they'll sell him with a buy back clause same as Livramento and Tammy.

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea do seem to be doing some fairly rash things at the moment though. Levi Colwill seems to be going to Southampton (who would have the potential for a really promising young defence - although perhaps a bit boom or bust). 

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sell Gallagher and buy Sterling... Deary me...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wes said:

Chelsea do seem to be doing some fairly rash things at the moment though. Levi Colwill seems to be going to Southampton (who would have the potential for a really promising young defence - although perhaps a bit boom or bust). 

Brilliant young player.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Chelsea midfielders are Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic and Mason Mount plus Loftus Cheek and Barkley 

He will get game time, as the first two are now in the 30s. Loftus Cheek seemed to play about 20 games last season 

• Like 1

Roma still sniffing around Frattesi.

I'd be surprised if both Luiz and Carney leave on a free next summer. I think we'll do it with one of them, but really try and force a sale this summer with the other. Someone will get a bargain price.

13 hours ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

The gap between the top 7 and the rest of the league is becoming untenable now with chelsea,spurs and arsenal Strengthening , Man city and Liverpool will have shot off into the stratosphere with there acquisitions and the likes of newcastle and leeds are signing some decent players.I think we will struggle for a top 10 finish.

Nil desperandum carbourundum;)!

I also can't see us getting amongst the likes of Citeh, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal next season, but we really can be in and around the rest of them. Who would have expected West Ham to have been in the running for a CL place through the league for so long, at the start of last season and who is to say that we can't do that ourselves next season? The likes of Newcastle, Leeds and Newton Heath are looking in awe at what we've already done during this transfer window and a couple more major signings by us, will have them quaking in their boots. Who knows if this season, we are in the same position that West Ham were in last season in the run-in, without the Europa League distraction they had, we could even sneak a top 4 place, if a couple of the usual suspects didn't hit the ground running. Then I've noted from reading this topic that both Kane and Rice, will have only 12 months left on their contracts then, so could we be suggesting on summer transfer window 2023, that we make a cheeky bid for one or both of them:D?

By the way, I liked your use of "untenable":

image.jpeg.89612bc974df273c305c0daae0c67b56.jpeg

Edited by John
  • Thanks 1