Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

14 minutes ago, KAZZAM said:

Let's talk about realistic transfers out:

Targett-15 mill - gone

Trez- 3-4 mill nearly gone

Anwar?? Dead quiet on him and he 100% needs to go. I'd accept 3-5 mill. 

Keinan - Can see a late move in the window, hopefully around 8 Mill. 

Sanson - maybe out the door to Gala? 5 mill sounds to cheap. 10 Mill or we keep/loan him. 

Hause - 5th choice now unless we are playing 3 at the back surely his time is up. Honestly think he's worth 8-10 Mill and would be a good buy for Any promoted side. 

Douglas - The big mystery, does he want to leave or stay or does Villa want rid?? I'd take 15-18mill for him. 

and possibly Luiz and Chukwumeka. 

also the forgotten trio of Wesley, Kalanic and Guilbert?

4 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Can't count on that. He looks a player, but Premier League makes mincemeat of many young talents, and we've been burned before. It's a huge step up from performing in Carling Cup and Championship to leading the line for Villa in the Premier League.

Until he is good enough, we got Watkins and Ings. We’ll be fine 

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, est1874 said:

And that worries me tbh.

We're essentially banking on Ings having a much better season than last year, when I think he's probably on the decline in many important ways as an athlete.

Ollie for me is never going to be clinical enough for his, his performances in multiple one-v-one situations last season was just abysmal and too worrying to ever bank on big numbers from him.

IMO we should be prioritizing a #9. Appreciate that means selling either Ollie or Ings but I'm sure we'd find a grateful taker.

It’s something I’m actually not worried about. I want to see Ollie starting and Ings off the bench. Ings did well last season imo, I don’t think he’s declining much and has surprised me how good he is on the ball. Solidify the defence, which I think we have done, and now the midfield, and we’ll see how well they can perform 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m not concerned, if the right striker is available we will go after them.  I believe they will be hunting that striker and it maybe a surprise that fans haven’t thought of or who we never considered.  Just because fans can’t think of one doesn’t mean anything.

but strikers are not really a thing anymore, some of the top scorers in the major leagues have been wide players. Benzema/Lewandowski are an elite exception

Of the top 20 scorers in the league last season only Kane, Vardy, Toney, Pukki, Watkins and Antonio played as strikers

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Villa87 said:

Pre season rapidly approaching. We are struggling to shift our unwanted players (as usual) and if we really want to push on we need another midfield upgrade and back up LB in my view. Hope things speed up again - although we have done very well to get players in early. 

June 30th is the end of the fiscal year for a lot of clubs. Don't be surprised if things really pick up after.

• Like 1

We had scouts or a scout watching the England v Italy game (this is according to The Athletic), not sure if there were any Italian players we were interested in specificially, could have been more watching some of the England players. Presumably we've had other games watched as well, although they lost I imagine there's a lot of talent in the France U19 squad.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, tomsky_11 said:

image.png.85fa840956eae0f25036b9346d6a6ead.pngimage.png.4a8f865d933114a9bb345e39f737e105.png

Basic fbref summaries for comparison.

Couple of points from the detail behind the above:

- Carlos' short and medium passing is a couple of % better. Attempting 50% more long passes at 4% lower accuracy brings his overall number shown above marginally below Botman.

- Both are in the top 10% for pressure success (Botman 42.5% vs Carlos 41%) but Carlos' tackle success numbers are better (wins 75.5% of tackles attempted vs. Botman 66.2%, while against dribbles its 60.6% vs 50%)

- Majority of Botman's 1.99 blocks per 90 are blocked passes (1.18) while majority of Carlos' 1.69 are blocked shots (1.07)

- Carlos' actually attempted marginally more aerial duels than Botman (4.04 vs 4.01) so the respective aerial success rates are 65.6% and 74.8%

It's difficult to compare players using raw stats when they play in different leagues, and could be asked to do different things within their team's system. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, paul514 said:

It’s very likely for a centre back to get better as they get older

You're confusing "possible" for "very likely." Plenty of players are who they are by the time they're 22.

1 minute ago, VillaHatesMe said:

You're confusing "possible" for "very likely." Plenty of players are who they are by the time they're 22.

Most 22 year old centre backs get better

that means it’s highly likely 

I wouldn't hold too much weight to the Dan Bardell post but personally, i'm almost certain he's correct. I just don't think we're remotely done at all. Transfers are starting to happen quite quickly and it will all trickle down. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, est1874 said:

And that worries me tbh.

We're essentially banking on Ings having a much better season than last year, when I think he's probably on the decline in many important ways as an athlete.

Ollie for me is never going to be clinical enough for his, his performances in multiple one-v-one situations last season was just abysmal and too worrying to ever bank on big numbers from him.

IMO we should be prioritizing a #9. Appreciate that means selling either Ollie or Ings but I'm sure we'd find a grateful taker.

Spot on i dont wish to take that risk whatsoever.

we need a hitman for us to bang on the doors of top 8 … whoever it is needs to get 13/14 goals to be considered a worthwhile purchase at minimum 

And get one of them benchboys from the likes of PSG/Bayern to play CM to make Mcginn a rotational player 

Edited by RicRic

Just now, RicRic said:

Spot on i dont wish to take that risk whatsoever.

we need a hitman for us to bang on the doors of top 8 … whoever it is needs to get 13/14 goals to be considered a worthwhile purchase at minimum 

Watkins has a 12.5 goals a season Premier League average since he signed, Ings has a similar average

We arent getting a better striker. Of the non Sky 6 who has a better striker?

Toney, Calvert Lewin, Wilson, Wood, Pukki, Maupay, Mitrovic, Bamford. I dont think I would take any of them

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Watkins has a 12.5 goals a season Premier League average since he signed, Ings has a similar average

We arent getting a better striker. Of the non Sky 6 who has a better striker?

Toney, Calvert Lewin, Wilson, Wood, Pukki, Maupay, Mitrovic, Bamford. I dont think I would take any of them

Cant argue with watkins not being a striker capable of that you are right but he cant do it alone 👍🏽

Ollie is the Salah 

Now we need the Mane 👀

Edited by RicRic

To reiterate I’ve never said watkins isn’t good enough and should be replaced… i said we need another forward to add to our roster as watkins goals arent enough by himself… if we had watkins who can get hes 11 for the season and lets say another forward who can get 14 then we have a reliant attack force

But last season ings got 7 goals if not mistaken , so if we can get a forward who can double that then we are pushing ourselves forward and excelling 

Edited by RicRic