Summer Transfer Window 2022

Loxstock92

1 hour ago, HalfTimePost said:

Hickey too expensive is a shame he was £15m the last couple Windows allegedly. Will end up at Arsenal now.

Bassey has been quoted at £25m. So will be interesting to see how that fits in with us only really wanting a backup.

Anyone got a subscription to see what other youngsters were mentioned?

We were probably quoted more in Jan hence why we didn’t get him 

4 hours ago, Tommo_b said:

Lol surely if the keeper knows there is no chance of stopping a shot it makes sense not to dive for it so if somehow it rebounds out the keeper could possibly get to the rebound or be ready to attempt to save a follow up shot?

Plus saves energy too.

You could make that argument yes, it sounds pretty sensible. But for me, there's something to do with intent and belief in your abilities that doesn't sit right with accepting that you can be beaten.

Could be talking nonsense, but I don't recall Emi rooted to the spot and watching too many goals whizzing past him - he's normally flying through the air like a giant cat trying to stop them!

• Like 2

I’d kind of like richarlison because he’s irritating. I guess he is kind of in the Suarez mold but somehow I can’t imagine Gerrard liking him to much after recent coach related banter 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Yeah he basically says we need to look to move on attacking players now before getting a player in. Davis, Traore, Bailey, Ings all open to the right offers. AEG, Trez & Targett need moving on too.

I think the club are right about Hickey being too expensive at £20+ for a player who will struggle to get ahead of Digne. This young Sergio Gomez has seriously good attacking stats for Anderlecht.

Bissouma might still be a target but won't overpay. Seems like Brighton might wait till late in the window on that to get maximum value and hinder rival clubs a bit. 

I would think the longer this drags on the lower the price Brighton will get. They will be desperate to sell before the window closes to avoid losing him on a free. I suspect that is the reason there are no bids in for him as buying clubs want Brighton to be under pressure to sell

3 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I would think the longer this drags on the lower the price Brighton will get. They will be desperate to sell before the window closes to avoid losing him on a free. I suspect that is the reason there are no bids in for him as buying clubs want Brighton to be under pressure to sell

Or he is not as highly rated in the real world compared to VT 😉

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Or he is not as highly rated in the real world compared to VT 😉

He is highly rated by a lot of people tho and I expect he will have many suiters. Whether the ball park price is 30m+ or 15m+, by keeping the bidding to late in the window it will only benefit the buying club albeit if there is too much competition for his signing there could be a bidding war. I assume clubs will also be doing a lot of due diligence regarding his legal challenges 

22 hours ago, Gompedyret said:

So, Bissy, Bassy, Tarky and a new striky. Would make me a happy pappy. 🍺

When you put it like that, it’s almost a shame we got rid of Pissy for £100m

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Now linked with Gareth Bale… what the hell!

At first I thought hell no but upon further reading, he scored 11 goals in 10 starts for Tottenham last season.

Gareth Bale is criminally underrated. 

but I’m suspecting he’s going to Cardiff on a massive pay cut, out of love 

25 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

At first I thought hell no but upon further reading, he scored 11 goals in 10 starts for Tottenham last season.

I think it is more of an opinion than a link. It was an interview with Cascarino on Talk Sport while discussing Bale and asked...

COULD GARETH BALE RETURN TO THE PREMIER LEAGUE AFTER REAL MADRID EXIT?"

The response..

“You could go either Newcastle or Aston Villa,” says Cascarino, the former Chelsea, Celtic and Villa striker.  

“Would he go to any of those particular clubs, if the manager wanted him? I would think jump at it. Go and play! There are clubs that would take him but it’s got to be on a deal that suits the club.” 

https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2022/05/31/go-and-play-550k-a-week-star-tipped-to-join-newcastle-or-aston-villa/

I know HITC is a crap reference, but it is a quote and many different media outlets with the identical wording. 

32 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Isn’t it just one of those Tony Cascarino says Villa/Newcastle could be good for Bale type “links” rather than based on any actual inside info?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I see the problem for all the people who hate him. He gets information about targets we are considering. So 80% of the players he mentions will never sign for us. Thus everyone says "he gets nothing right", "knows nothing" look he linked us to Hickey, McNeil, Ward-Prowse, Tarkowski and we signed none of them. 

I don’t think anyone hates him - he’s just not that good at the transfer part of the job as he doesn’t have the connections (by his own admission). He was in the right place at the right time when the Athletic were finding a reporter for each club so lucked into a job there, versus some of the higher calibre people they have in other roles who are real experts in their area. Where there is value to their model is when someone like Ornstein gets a real transfer link involving us and they do a joint piece which means Evans can add a bit of Villa context to someone else’s info, which he’s perfectly good at - and in fact not being a fan probably lets him be more objective on that part.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I don’t think anyone hates him - he’s just not that good at the transfer part of the job as he doesn’t have the connections (by his own admission). He was in the right place at the right time when the Athletic were finding a reporter for each club so lucked into a job there, versus some of the higher calibre people they have in other roles who are real experts in their area. Where there is value to their model is when someone like Ornstein gets a real transfer link involving us and they do a joint piece which means Evans can add a bit of Villa context to someone else’s info, which he’s perfectly good at - and in fact not being a fan probably lets him be more objective on that part.

The argument is that his actual job is to get you to click on the page and bring traffic to their website

Its not to be right (although you can argue the 2 go hand in hand) 

Bullshit with panache 

They're all the same