Calum Chambers

His Name Is Death

Looks like he's going to be starting at DM with Kamara & Donck both out.  

I'd like to remind everyone that Chambers was Fulham's Player of the Season in 2019 playing as a defensive midfielder.  He's awful as a CB in Emery's system because he's too slow to stop a pacey striker on the counter, but I think he'll be fine for us deputizing for Kamara this weekend.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Looks like he's going to be starting at DM with Kamara & Donck both out.  

I'd like to remind everyone that Chambers was Fulham's Player of the Season in 2019 playing as a defensive midfielder.  He's awful as a CB in Emery's system because he's too slow to stop a pacey striker on the counter, but I think he'll be fine for us deputizing for Kamara this weekend.  

Don't share the optimism. He came on last week and within a minute Palace's DM got the second yellow for that foul on him so there was plenty of space in the middle from that point yet most of his passes were chronic. There was one relatively simple one to hit wide to Bailey with 10 yard distance and he hit it comfortably out for a throw in.

Rice and Soucek will be on him constantly at the weekend so fully expecting it to be all on Luiz to try to get us playing as Chambers simply can't be trusted this season.

I actually wouldn't be against dropping McGinn back. Annoying as he's playing well in the inside wide midfielder role but him and Luiz was combo for over two years and I'd like to think we can get through the next few weeks given Emery will have better strategy than previous managers.

If Chambers is just constantly hitting the ball out of play or gifting it to likes of Benhrama/Bowen then it will be a very hard match to win.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Don't share the optimism. He came on last week and within a minute Palace's DM got the second yellow for that foul on him so there was plenty of space in the middle from that point yet most of his passes were chronic. There was one relatively simple one to hit wide to Bailey with 10 yard distance and he hit it comfortably out for a throw in.

Rice and Soucek will be on him constantly at the weekend so fully expecting it to be all on Luiz to try to get us playing as Chambers simply can't be trusted this season.

I actually wouldn't be against dropping McGinn back. Annoying as he's playing well in the inside wide midfielder role but him and Luiz was combo for over two years and I'd like to think we can get through the next few weeks given Emery will have better strategy than previous managers.

If Chambers is just constantly hitting the ball out of play or gifting it to likes of Benhrama/Bowen then it will be a very hard match to win.

It's why Chambers will be the one keeping things simple, playing shorter passes and not blasting them out of play.

Surely it'll be Luiz looking to open up and link he play or be more expansive.

Calamity Chambers.  He needs to drop down a level and find regular first team football his versatility has been his downfall over the years he really hasn’t mastered any of the positions he’s been thrown in.  Did well to win the free kick near the end though.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Horrendous player. He's not PL level.

To be fair I think most centre backs would look as clumsy playing central mid… the issue is (1) they can do better at centre back, and (2) we don’t think they can play centre mid :)

I don’t think he’s good enough for us but I can see a move to a newly promoted team in the summer.

• 3 weeks later...
Â