Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

14 minutes ago, Risso said:

Easily the worst keeper I've ever seen in a Villa shirt,

He’s not even the worst in the last decade. You must have a short memory!  And to show I have, too, I can’t even remember their names, but that one who couldn’t catch the ball, played for Bruce and Deano - Nyland, was it? and then there was the one brought in to replace him, from Croatia or somewhere like that, Kalinic?  And then there was Gollini, And going back further, Kiraly, Adam Rachel…

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, blandy said:

He’s not even the worst in the last decade. You must have a short memory!  And to show I have, too, I can’t even remember their names, but that one who couldn’t catch the ball, played for Bruce and Deano - Nyland, was it? and then there was the one brought in to replace him, from Croatia or somewhere like that, Kalinic?  And then there was Gollini, And going back further, Kiraly, Adam Rachel…

Nope. They were all terrible but at least with them there was a vague suspicion that they might be an actual goalkeeper. Olsen looks like he's won a competition, and can't do a single thing you'd expect an actual keeper to be able to do.

Edited by Risso
spolling
  • Like 2

I think someone like Nyland, you could at least point to the occasional game or moment where you’d have to say “Fair play Orjan”. If I remember rightly he was receiving plaudits across the board for his performance against Leicester in the league semi final. And I remember he saved a crucial last minute penalty against Swansea (I think) when we were on that dismal run before the upturn in results in our promotion season. A rare high point during that miserable time.

Point being, I’m not sure it’s currently possible to assemble a two minute compilation clip of Olsen performing particularly good saves, but I think you probably could have a brief highlights package for Nyland.

I was kinda ok with Gollini. Kalinic and others, yeah there’s a discussion to be had.

Another issue that only Olsen has to face is the drop off between Martinez and Olsen is so apparent, that obviously goes against him as I don’t think the difference between a Villa No.1 keeper and No.2 keeper has been anywhere near as pronounced as it is at the moment.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, blandy said:

Olsen's definitely not any better than any of them - he's terrible, Blandy. 

• Like 3

Hmm. Confidence is certainly low but he's certainly not worse than Nyland. He's playing at a higher level and also bear in mind he is being compared to arguably our greatest keeper ever.

One thing that we could do with is not giving him sarcastic applauses on Tuesday or anxious sounds when he is around the ball. Not exactly going to help.

• Like 1

On 08/01/2023 at 18:22, ferguson1 said:

Not going to bash him but should he be beaten on his near post? 

Neither him or the full back should.....when we do concede, its often at the back post.

23 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Hmm. Confidence is certainly low but he's certainly not worse than Nyland. He's playing at a higher level and also bear in mind he is being compared to arguably our greatest keeper ever.

One thing that we could do with is not giving him sarcastic applauses on Tuesday or anxious sounds when he is around the ball. Not exactly going to help.

Whatever, we think of him.....when the game is in progress, he should be loudly supported.

The comments on him should be reserved for after the game.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

Neither him or the full back should.....when we do concede, its often at the back post.

Apologies, I thought you were quoting me from yesterday. He just isn’t very good is he and everyone knows this, even the players.

22 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Is he in Garth Crooks' team of the week?

“After Emi Martinez came off following a poor first half, Unai Emery had the good fortune of being able to call on the Sweden colossus Robin Olsen. Olsen came straight into the action with a monster display between the posts, you could see the confidence he gave to the Aston Villa defence upon his arrival.”

• Haha 4

I agree with @Risso in that Olsen is the worst goalkeeper I've ever seen at Villa. That includes Nyland and Kiraly. 

Having Olsen in goal is equivalent to starting with -1 at least and he makes the defenders nervous.

He will be straight out the door in May thank goodness.

Please hurry back Emi!

His shot stopping is competent, although maybe a little below average. 20 years ago, he might have been unremarkable.

A keeper needs to do so much more today...sweeping and passing. He's weak at these. In a system like Unai's, he simply won't cut it.

Hates to come off his line. And really heavy on his toes. Slow reactions. Not great playing out from the back.  And doesnt boss his back 4 . Not his fault gerrard spent the money on him but we do need an upgrade here . 

9 hours ago, lexicon said:

Olsen's definitely not any better than any of them - he's terrible, Blandy. 

I think what adds to the impression that he is really bad is that he has played in so few matches, and in those it has been away to Man C, against Liverpool (or was it Man U?), away to a flying Newcastle. It hasn't made it more easy for him. Also that he comes in and directly gets compared to Martinez.

Ability wise, he is far better than Nyland, Kalinic and Bunn for example, but he surly hasn't showed it so far. So just going by his few performances for us, I'd say he is up among the worst ones. But it's a bit unfair, it's a bit like saying that Helenius is the worst player we ever had as he basically played only one game and lost his pants.

This is not a defence of Olsen really, I was sceptic when he arrived and he needs to be replaced asap, but he is not a bad goalkeeper per se, just been very bad for us and isn't suited for the PL.

All I am going to say is he is not reliable as a keeper, a reserve keeper is never going to be great but as long as he is reliable when he needs to step in then that is the remit.

Reliably decent not a liability which is what he is.

The thing is - he’s probably not the worst keeper if we were sitting back and parking the bus. 

But as a sweeper keeper and playing out from the back, he’s one of the worst if not the worst Villa keeper I’ve seen. 

Â