Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

Was thrown in at Old Trafford to anchor a team to play out from the back, something he's never been even average in. Hasn't played much in years.

The inevitable happens and all Villa "fans" are out there crusifying him. Well done people.

He was poor, but he was also thrown under a bus by the manager.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Was thrown in at Old Trafford to anchor a team to play out from the back, something he's never been even average in. Hasn't played much in years.

The inevitable happens and all Villa "fans" are out there crusifying him. Well done people.

Misplacing simple passes and catching crosses isn’t exactly evidence of him being thrown under the bus by the manager. 

He may not be suited to that sort of game but let’s not pretend he was anything other than horrific in what was probably the worst goalkeeping performance I’ve seen from a Villa player in however long. 

Maybe we’re spoilt with Martinez, but Olsen looks every bit a car crash of a goalkeeper. I’d be surprised if he plays for us much again. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Misplacing simple passes and catching crosses isn’t exactly evidence of him being thrown under the bus by the manager. 

He may not be suited to that sort of game but let’s not pretend he was anything other than horrific in what was probably the worst goalkeeping performance I’ve seen from a Villa player in however long. 

Maybe we’re spoilt with Martinez, but Olsen looks every bit a car crash of a goalkeeper. I’d be surprised if he plays for us much again. 

Yeah as a no 2 I think you must be ready to play when the opportunity comes.

One thing with Olsen is that I think he is more dependent on confidence than others, it may explain why he is so good for the national team where he has the full and solid support and got nothing to prove. A lack in confidence can often lead to mistakes and make players look bad. 

What I was baffled about yesterday was that we kept passing the ball back to him, putting him under pressure. I even shouted "why the *** are you passing it back to him" out loud by myself several times. It was so obvious that a mistake was coming.

If you have Olsen in goal you cannot play out from the back trying to be like Man C. When put under pressure you hoof it as if Bruce or McLeish stood on the side line.   

44 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

8 goals conceded in 2 matches. 11 goals conceded in last 3 appearances. Then there’s Sweden as well. He’s shit. 

Edited by Ingram85

14 minutes ago, romavillan said:

The glee with which the Roma fans greeted the news of actual money for Olsen says it all 

But wasn't the context there that the Roma fans loved Alisson, it would always be difficult to win the hearts of the Roma fans coming in as his replacement, especially with Olsen of course not being on the same level, but branded as his replacement.

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

I agree with much of this apart from the thrown under the bus bit, this is where we are at and if he can't replace Martinez in the system he wants to play then.........he has to go.

That's brutal because he hasn't had chance to settle , will Emery give him another chance ? I'm not sure, I wouldn't judge him either way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, andym said:

There was a wide selection to choose from

• running in treacle across the area and only just about getting a toe on it to knock it out for the corner, despite having a 20 yard headstart on Fernandes who was closing down
  • turning a 80/20 long ball into a 50/50 where Chambers had to bail him out because he was stuck to his line
  • calling for a simple cross and then immediately dropping it on the corner of the 6 yard box
  • trying to claim a simple looping high ball by flapping one handed and conceding a corner
  • passing straight to Man U for the 3rd goal
  • standing on his line and watching as McTominay gets the touch just 7 yards out for the 4th goal

Imagine what its like for the outfielders trying to play with that going on behind you

Spot on with all of the above.  I attended my first match in 1966 and can't remember a poorer goalkeeping display.  When I read that our manager insists on us playing out from the back I was worried for Olsen. 

Every time he had the ball at his feet he looked like a rabbit in headlights.  I was quite relieved when he booted it long.  After a truly horrendous first half. things got worse in the second half.  We score a great opening goal and 19 seconds later United punt a hopeful ball down our left.  I'm waiting for Olsen to sprint over and boot it into touch. Instead I see him scrurrying back to his goal with the inevitable result.  I can't remember much about the second goal, but the third one was down to his awful attempt to play to out from the back only for the ball to land perfectly for Manure.  As for the fourth goal.,again I was waiting for Olsen to claim a hopeful punt into our box. but surprise surprise he was glued to his line. 

I would hope that Emery never picks him again because he just is not good enough to play for Aston Villa.

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Was he b*****s. He was given a chance and f***ed it up. 

On 11/11/2022 at 22:31, Delphinho123 said:

Worst performance ever? He made two great saves! The mistake was bad but it happens. And he dropped one ball. I don't think he deserves any vitriol. It was an odd choice by Emery to change the team so much, but I love him, so I'll get over it. 

5 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Worst performance ever? He made two great saves! The mistake was bad but it happens. And he dropped one ball. I don't think he deserves any vitriol. It was an odd choice by Emery to change the team so much, but I love him, so I'll get over it. 

Wow...

28 minutes ago, Risso said:

Wow...

Well it definitely wasn't the 'worst performance ever'. We've had plenty of others. Admittedly there were other shaky moments too and I'd rather Martinez plays forever. The mistake he made was awful, but mistakes do happen. And he did make two great saves too. I just cringe at the vitriol tbh.

Edited by Rolta

On 11/11/2022 at 16:26, AVTuco said:

I wouldn’t describe it as thrown under a bus. The manager has to know if players can play in the style he wants to. I’m sure he’s wondering that about a few of them - you can only see it by giving them a chance to play. I think we will see more rotation today because he’ll want to look at as many players as possible before the World Cup break.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rolta said:

Well it definitely wasn't the 'worst performance ever'. We've had plenty of others. Admittedly there were other shaky moments too and I'd rather Martinez plays forever. The mistake he made was awful, but mistakes do happen. And he did make two great saves too. I just cringe at the vitriol tbh.

Hi Mrs Olsen, welcome to the forum.

59 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

What on earth are you blabbering on about? PFE? 

I think he’s pointing out that Martinez made practically the same mistake today, but will escape any criticism.

Martinez has plenty of credit in the bank to be forgiven a mistake here and there, Olsen as yet does not.

• Like 1

Â