Robin Olsen

Loxstock92

4 minutes ago, BleedClaretAndBlue said:

He genuinely dropped a 2/10 in that cup game. Remember him coming to claim a ball completely unopposed and still managed to spill it and make a right mess of pretty much everything he did that day. There was a reason he couldnt get a game in the championship. His best game for us was probably last day at the Etihad, and he had an incredibly shaky opening 25 mins and managed to cocede 3 in 5 mins at the end.

The 3 goals conceded in 5 mins is psychological thing more than technical. City are much better and once they scored we all knew it’s coming. Look at Argentina against France?

Anyway I don’t expect a regular championship keeper to easily come as a backup here, especially in his prime. But let’s hope he can do well against Liverpool and if needed against Spurs.

• Like 1

Mentioned it before, he's not been the same after him and his family were robbed and threatened with having their heads cut off with machetes a few years ago.

Apparently his wife and kids can't sleep alone in the house when he's away and the whole family are struggling 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 2

Just now, Zatman said:

The Olsen bashing is pathetic at times. He is a 2nd choice keeper, its like criticizing the clubs choice of reserve team manager

People wanted Luiz sold and now he's the best thing since sliced bread. I pay little attention bar the odd post

Definitely the weakest second choice keeper we have had in the Premier League era.

Kiraly was a mess but was on emergency loan and Guzan was a disaster at claiming crosses and commanding his area.

But man, this guy is something else on the levels of incompetence scale. Very hard to see us getting a point against Liverpool with him in goal.

Steer would have been a much better option.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Definitely the weakest second choice keeper we have had in the Premier League era.

Kiraly was a mess but was on emergency loan and Guzan was a disaster at claiming crosses and commanding his area.

But man, this guy is something else on the levels of incompetence scale. Very hard to see us getting a point against Liverpool with him in goal.

Nyland says hi.

Just now, ender4 said:

Nyland says hi.

Nyland played pretty well in the cup final against Man City and that's why I didn't include him. Although he certainly wasn't one of our better signings.

We have had wuite a few quality Scandinavian players at Villa, sadly, none of them were goalkeepers.

It's only going to be one game (two, tops), so I'm sure we can all get behind Olsen for that. He's terrible, granted, but we need to start boosting players' confidence, rather than tearing it down.

It is a confidence game, afterall. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Mark Bunn, Enckelman, Kiraly, Postma, Kalinic , Steer as well great guy but is levels below Olsen

Carlo Ancelotti wanted to sign him permanently for Everton

Just now, Zatman said:

Mark Bunn, Enckelman, Kiraly, Postma, Kalinic , Steer as well great guy but is levels below Olsen

Carlo Ancelotti wanted to sign him permanently for Everton

Whatever form he had before is not relevant now. The current incarnation of Robin Olsen is bloody awful. Players decline, it happens, and the sooner we replace him the better.

9 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

Whatever form he had before is not relevant now. The current incarnation of Robin Olsen is bloody awful. Players decline, it happens, and the sooner we replace him the better.

To sign who? What improvement of a 2nd choice keeper is going to join to play 1 FA Cup game a season

20 minutes ago, Zatman said:

To sign who? What improvement of a 2nd choice keeper is going to join to play 1 FA Cup game a season

Thats a valid point but I guess that's the same for all 2nd keepers. 

Personally I'd play Emi in the FA Cup this season, as had he played at Old Trafford I believe we'd still be in the League Cup.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Mentioned it before, he's not been the same after him and his family were robbed and threatened with having their heads cut off with machetes a few years ago.

Apparently his wife and kids can't sleep alone in the house when he's away and the whole family are struggling 

Wasnt aware of this. It would certainly explain how an international number 1 became such a poor player. Wouldn't surprise me if he calls it a day at the end of the season.

There are far more important things than football and I'm sure he isn't going to struggle financially.

• Like 1

Doubt he’ll play Boxing Day to be honest. Today is the big party celebration in Argentina - Dec 20th. Would think Emi will then take 21st and 22nd to hang out and see family there, do TV stuff, etc. Then 23rd back to UK, train 24th and Christmas Day, play Boxing Day.

Â