Lucas Digne

villan-scott

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well i can't speak for everyone else, but that certainly wasn't the insinuation in my post. 

You've clearly inferred things incorrectly

Clearly 🙄 

Or maybe there is more than your post (which i think your now getting all potato/potato on 😉)

Edited by macandally

5 minutes ago, mrbojangles said:

I think you have missed the convo between SteveO and Macandally

This was tongue in cheek

2 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Apologies! 

Not always easy to tell…

Think my tongue in cheek message has clearly not gone down the way intended.

My actual thoughts are he has had a good couple of games and I hope as others it continues. My concern is that 2 weeks ago most would have been happy to see him go and be replaced (including me). His wage could solve world hunger, for a player that will not be first choice its a lot to have sat on the bench. At this point i would be happy if he stayed but equally if he went and we reinvested some of the money on another LB I wouldn't be heart broken

To summarise his last 2 games have really messed with my head and I have no idea what to think now 😂😂

• Haha 1

His crosses the past two games have been excellent overall. A different type of player to Moreno, but one that brings a different kind of attacking threat. Probably better defensively also. But it’s not a bad headache to have in the squad in terms of quality competition. 

1 hour ago, macandally said:

Clearly 🙄 

Or maybe there is more than your post (which i think your now getting all potato/potato on 😉)

It's ok dude. We all make mistakes. Just move on, nobody will remember

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

His crosses the past two games have been excellent overall. A different type of player to Moreno, but one that brings a different kind of attacking threat. Probably better defensively also. But it’s not a bad headache to have in the squad in terms of quality competition. 

With the will known caveats about opposition quality....

It seems clear Emery has realised the approach we take when playing Digne instead of Moreno has to play to Digne's strengths. The sign of a good manager is working with what he has.

Digne hasn't been asked to take men on against Hibs, or really even asked to get to the edge of the penalty area quite like Moreno does. As much as his pace limitations as a dribbler make him worse than Moreno when playing the Moreno-role, Emery just comes up with a slightly different play style to utilise his strengths.

Clearly he can't just ask Digne to cross from deep instead of running with the ball. He needs to make sure Watkins and the other forward(s) are aware of this style change. Those crosses don't just find a player by chance. The quality of the delivery matters (Digne has that), but it needs Watkins to be expecting it instead of expecting to make a late run on to a well worked opening from Moreno. Maybe its taken a while for the change to click so Digne wasn't looking as good as he is now before.

Let's see if it works against better opposition now...

• Like 2

I’d be happy to keep him if he was happy at being second choice and would renew his contract at a lower wage, heck I’d even give him a further year for stability.

We should not be loaning him out though, the only way a loan should even be discussed is if it’s a guaranteed future purchase, not app dependent.

Would take a buyer from Saudi. 

1 hour ago, Jas10 said:

Wow, we have had both extremes in this thread now 😂 Both ends of the spectrum!

I don’t think anyone is getting carried away either, and no one is getting beaten up on 😂

Let’s just have some balance and neutrality…

Hope he keeps this up and continues to do well…

Oh. I was going to suggest he needed a big wage increase. 

i-need-to-calm-down-okay.gif

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

I mean this is unbelievably wrong.  how can you possibly think Digne is better defensively.  Have you ever watched him play.  he is dreadful defensively against anyone half decent.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

It's ok dude. We all make mistakes. Just move on, nobody will remember

The bizarre thing is, I never even quoted your post! 
So yes, it does appear people make mistakes and should move on!

Edited by macandally

The Lucas Digne in the last two games reminded me of why I was so excited to sign him. Looks like the guy who played for Everton under Ancelloti. The Digne that was a mainstay in fantasy prem teams for his clean sheets and assists. If we can get the end product he has out of him against the lesser sides, all the better. We struggle to break through these teams a lot of the time, if the key to resolving that is sticking a pinpoint cross from the left onto any one of a number of players attacking the box, we'll turn draws into wins. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Moustache of Teale said:

I’m not sure why people are posting as if these are his first 2 decent games for us. They’re really not, he’s had plenty of decent games.

If Emery wants a different type of fullback to fit with his preferred style of play so be it, but Digne is decent and his delivery of crosses is excellent. 

He's also had plenty of games where is been found wanting, what with his terrible habit of ball - watching. He was excellent Saturday and more so last night, but look at the space and freedom to roam he was given, and someone with the capability to cross a ball as good as he can, he should be delivering balls like that, especially when you consider the wage he's getting. 

If  Moreno is fit, I don't think Digne gets in, for the very reason that Moreno is more dynamic and certainly more consistent. 

1 hour ago, tezzaleed said:

I mean this is unbelievably wrong.  how can you possibly think Digne is better defensively.  Have you ever watched him play.  he is dreadful defensively against anyone half decent.

As far as defensive metrics last season  per 90 he is basically even with Moreno, except for aerial duels where he has a substantial advantage  

Â