Lucas Digne

villan-scott

Just now, Jareth said:

NSWE

One of the best academies in the league

£100m pure profit last summer from a single player sale

Steven Gerrard

Not really reasons for comfort. Everton owner is very rich as well it doesn't mean anything in football these days. 

Gerrard factor is he is unproven still and hasn't really got a transfer history yet to be very convinced to spend all this money

At moment we are closer to doing an Everton than doing a Leicester who we should be trying to follow

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Zatman said:

Not really reasons for comfort. Everton owner is very rich as well it doesn't mean anything in football these days. 

Gerrard factor is he is unproven still and hasn't really got a transfer history yet to be very convinced to spend all this money

At moment we are closer to doing an Everton than doing a Leicester who we should be trying to follow

Who's owner is hugely experienced running successful sports teams?

Coutinho good enough?

We're not doing either - we're doing a Villa

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think you’re being very negative and I’m struggling to understand why. Have NSWE let us down yet ?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Every single path if you want to get into Europe is financially problematic.  It involves recruiting top quality players that are oven ready so to speak alongside younger players that you can see big upsides in , whilst bringing through prospects with huge potential.

The game is very very difficult especially as there is no such thing as a sure thing  and there are 9 other clubs competing to be in the Euro bracket  who have to go through the same processes.

So unless you are happy sitting 11th to 16th for the rest of our lifetime  then i am afraid risk is 

We didn't go for the risk, we went for the safe but short term expensive option.

I understand where you are coming from but there's better kinds of risk...especially at the level we are at.

7 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think you’re being very negative and I’m struggling to understand why. Have NSWE let us down yet ?

NSWE havent but as I said I just feel the club/Purslow have panicked since the summer and completely changed policy which I am not enjoying. 

It reminds me now of the horrors of the quick fixes of the MON era, Digne could easily be another Habib Beye and here for a bumper deal we wont be able to move

Edited by Zatman

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

NSWE havent but as I said I just feel the club/Purslow have panicked since the summer and completely changed policy which I am not enjoying. 

It reminds me now of the horrors of the MON era, Digne could easily be another Habib Beye and here for a bumper deal we wont be able to move

Bah, humbug. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

The blonde lady (👌) on sky transfer just announced slowly, in a sort of reveal that the left back who villa are close to signing is Digne, who the hell do they think they are broadcasting this to. Imbeciles.

Awaiting the inevitable - unknown club has come in for Digne - just to boost the numbers. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Nigel said:

That would be an acquisition rather than business. 

I know it sounds pedantic but its this bit I'm struggling with in this deal. I cant help feeling that we are heading down a path that could prove financially problematic 

I would be a lot more concerned if I didn’t feel it was such a relatively safe signing. If he flops, it will most likely be because of injury which is a marginal risk with every signing. Other than that, he’s a proven Premier League left back. Proven to a very high standard, in fact. If they hand him a 5 year deal, my opinion may change, but I’ll be surprised if they are quite so reckless. 

You are right to take note of the money they’re pumping in, but it only really becomes a problem if they do a Randy and withdraw their support. At which point let’s hope for a quick sale.

Until then I’m determined to enjoy the ride.

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It reminds me now of the horrors of the quick fixes of the MON era, Digne could easily be another Habib Beye and here for a bumper deal we wont be able to move

I understand your concerns I just think we’re financially stronger now then back then and we’re also signing better calibre of player than MON did. I know  Habib Beye is only one example but he was 32 when we signed him. Digne is 28. That’s peak years of a player then it’s after that point a player starts to decline. 

If Digne was 32 and he were signing him I’d completely agree with you. 

14 hours ago, Dale said:

Does concern me that we're now in the business of spending £20M+ on players late 20s starting with Ings. They're not on the way up and will be on super high wages as they start to decline. 

Don't get why the step change

Because as admirable as it is purely buying young emerging talent and hoping the develop into stars will only get you so far in this or any other top league in Europe. You have to find a balance of younger and older players. 

This one is a no brainer for me, he's an upgrade on Targett and will be desperate to play for his country in th WC. 

Replacing someone in the starting 11 is how progress is made.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

You are just moaning for the sake of it now. Digne is a French international and apart from Andrew Robertson I don't think there is a left back in this league who creates as many chances as digne does, he'd fit Gerrards system perfectly. Beye was crap, and we knew he was crap when we signed him there's no comparison between the two. 

Another player, like Coutinho, who we wouldn't be able to sign if the circumstances were slightly different. That's why we're moving quickly and with intent to get it done. We've come on so much these past 5 years, my word.

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Digne could easily be another Habib Beye

This feels like a stretch tbh. I can understand the concerns over our shift in strategy, especially given our history of terrible signings. But there's absolutely nothing to suggest that Digne is just going to come here for a pay day. 

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I don't see how we have panicked and changed policy! Jack Grealish sale has certainly impacted things as we have that windfall sale which needs to be utilised. The was a big factor in Ings coming in on a 3 year contract. Coutinho was a coup and a no brainer for the cost of his loan. Digne is a leader and experienced player who is one of the best attacking Full Backs in the League and at 28 has 5+ years at the top left in him at least.

We have so much young talent coming through our academy, we have young talent in our first team squad. We need leaders

1 minute ago, holteend1982 said:

You are just moaning for the sake of it now. Digne is a French international and apart from Andrew Robertson I don't think there is a left back in this league who creates as many chances as digne does, he'd fit Gerrards system perfectly. Beye was crap, and we knew he was crap when we signed him there's no comparison between the two. 

Habib Beye was loved and highly rated by Newcastle fans. Similar to Digne and Everton fans

• Haha 2

Â