Yves Bissouma

Corleone

8 hours ago, av1 said:

This is where I am. Arse pinch? Something more serious? It’s all irrelevant to me atm. He did something that the police decided was a crime and he has not yet been cleared. 

The kid is class, exactly what we need but I’d be holding fire until atm

The police don't decide it is a crime.

If someone perceives themselves to be a victim of crime, a crime is recorded, no matter if there is zero evidence and the police don't believe a crime has taken place. Unless there is cast iron evidence a crime has not been committed such as the suspect was on cctv not doing what ever they are accused of by another person.

In that case the crime that had been recorded would be cancelled but the person named as a suspect may still have been arrested first.

9 hours ago, sne said:

Don't think we are trying to replace Nakamba as much as we are trying to add quality players. Pretty sure we'd have gone for a athletic CM ball winner regardless of Nakamba getting injured.

Think Gerrard want's us to win the ball higher up the pitch than with a deep sitting defensive 6. Luiz can still be the one who collects the ball from the defense and Bissouma and McGinn runs around behind our initial press trying to win the ball. 

Midfield would be

Bissouma Luiz McGinn (for example)

As I say I think he's a great player for certain set ups. 

I think we clearly just see the team setting up in different ways. 

For me, I'd be happy with a midfield of Bissouma and Luiz ahead of a Zakaria-type. But then I'd say McGinn would offer something different and be just as effective as Bissouma in that set up. In which case the missing piece is not the Bissouma kind of player regardless of set up. 

We have enough effective midfielders in our squad, the problem at the moment, I believe, is that we don't have someone to sit behind them, protect the back 4 and let them do their thing. 

13 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

This.

I’m not sure why people are using the “but he’s still playing football” as a solid indicator of anything. It’s like they’ve forgotten Sunderland continued to play Adam Johnson despite him informing their CEO he had been courting a child. 

That’s not to say Bissouma and Brighton are similar but it really doesn’t count for much.

Yes, this.

People need to realise that football managers want to pick their best team. Every best XI for Brighton, in any formation, will involve Bissouma, and the player clearly hasn't let his legal troubles affect his performances, so *of course* Brighton will pick him every game, at least until (if) he is charged, and possibly even after that.

Him playing tells us nothing either way about what happened that night or about the progress of the enquiry.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dale said:

It's also not as easy as that. Sexual assault cases are very hard to prosecute, CPS will only charge if there's a realistic chance of conviction. This not being charged doesn't make him innocent. Just look at the Cronaldo case, and the docs around that where in a civil level he's admitted guilt. 

As a result of this hanging over his head, I'd be uncomfortable even if the case is dropped. 

Fine player though he is. 

The legal process is as I set out. In this country a person is innocent until proved guilty. Others may have their doubts and suspicions but these mean little in the eyes of the law. In England we don’t have a ‘not proven’ condition so without a charge and a guilty verdict we are all innocent. 
I presume you are referring to Ronaldo in your reply. What he did or didn’t do in a totally separate case, Civil or Criminal, is irrelevant to any other case involving other person(s). There is no logic in using one case to infer guilt in another. 
If there is a no case to answer decision then there is nothing ‘hanging over his head’ other than personal suspicions held by others.

6 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

The legal process is as I set out. In this country a person is innocent until proved guilty. Others may have their doubts and suspicions but these mean little in the eyes of the law. In England we don’t have a ‘not proven’ condition so without a charge and a guilty verdict we are all innocent. 
I presume you are referring to Ronaldo in your reply. What he did or didn’t do in a totally separate case, Civil or Criminal, is irrelevant to any other case involving other person(s). There is no logic in using one case to infer guilt in another. 
If there is a no case to answer decision then there is nothing ‘hanging over his head’ other than personal suspicions held by others.

You’re a fishmonger by trade, aren’t you.

• Haha 4

34 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

In a criminal sense. 

He could lose a civil case and never have a criminal record (one on balance of probability, one beyond reasonable doubt). Are we satisfied that good character is accepted unless there is a successful conviction? 

Cronaldo was arrested for rape whilst at united, paid someone off in the states and stated that he continued when the woman said stop. He's never been found criminally guilty, although outside of a criminal process he acknowledged that he acted in a way most would see as criminal - do we assume that he didn't do anything the first time around or given the pattern believe that on the balance of probabilities he may well have done so.

The good character of someone does not need to be assessed to a criminal burden of proof level. If he's not charged are we comfortable saying that the victim is a liar? 

7 minutes ago, Dale said:

In a criminal sense. 

He could lose a civil case and never have a criminal record (one on balance of probability, one beyond reasonable doubt). Are we satisfied that good character is accepted unless there is a successful conviction? 

Cronaldo was arrested for rape whilst at united, paid someone off in the states and stated that he continued when the woman said stop. He's never been found criminally guilty, although outside of a criminal process he acknowledged that he acted in a way most would see as criminal - do we assume that he didn't do anything the first time around or given the pattern believe that on the balance of probabilities he may well have done so.

The good character of someone does not need to be assessed to a criminal burden of proof level. If he's not charged are we comfortable saying that the victim is a liar? 

We all make good character assessments of others from time to time. In fact I’m sure that Villa management make such assessments on players they plan to buy. When building an assessment we take a range of behavioural elements into account but I draw a line at 3rd party claims made without substance. So an accusation made without any firm proof is dubious at best. I see no sense in the ‘no smoke without fire’ contention used to support such dubious links. 
In the case of your ‘Cronaldo’ then there is sufficient to question his character but this has no relevance for any other person. Certainly I believe it wrong to take the doubts you have over Cronaldo and transfer them to another completely separate person. In the case of Bissouma if there is a no case to answer decision then I believe, from what I know, there are no doubts strong enough to prevent purchase.

1 hour ago, Adman said:

Can we save £50mill and play Iregbunam.  I haven't seen much of him, but what I have seen Ive been very impressed by.  Tough ball winner, but can play too

Errr no.  

He hasn’t even made the first team squad yet.  He hasn’t played against any Premier League level players.  Maybe in 2-3 year time he might be ready to take that position IF he keeps improving.

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I would be very disappointed if the club signed him with this court case still hanging over him, not saying he is guilty but I think it is a terrible look especially with the club trying to attract more female fans and building the womens team

This is generally it... Guilty or not in law, even if it goes no further, the club would effectively be taking his word over the woman in the story. Which is a bad look... 

• Sad 1

we're not spending £40m+ on a player with an impending criminal case hanging over him, absolutely not a chance 

if we do sign him after the case is dropped or he's found not guilty then i would expect the club to do some due diligence and know more about the case and the man than we ever will, i can ignore internet detectives trying to work out what "really" happened, if we sign him and something else comes to light or he does something else then the club have failed with that due diligence 

im going to trust purslow and lange over the s*n and wikipedia thats for sure

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

Bissouma is exactly the type of player we need, but I would still be very surprised if we spent anything close to £50m on him this window, court case or otherwise, especially if the Digne deal goes through.

The CDM role is crucial and one I’d expect us to invest heavily in. Fans wouldn’t blink if the rumour was Villa dropping £50M on Kalvin Phillips. Bissouma is in the same ballpark (imo).

Â