Yves Bissouma

Corleone

34 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure I follow. Innocent till proven guilty I agree with of course, but he has been arrested and months after the arrest he has still not had the charges dropped, that doesn’t mean he’s guilty, but it means that the police and the CPS think they have something. 

The Police haven't decided he's committed a crime, they've suspected him of a committing a crime

Deciding he's committed the crime would mean he is charged

• Thanks 1

The argument that he’s probably innocent because Brighton are still playing him is a weak one. If they stop playing him they are virtually saying he must be guilty and discriminating against a man who hasn’t at least had his day in court. Effectively influencing the jury if the case did come to court. I’m pretty sure a good barrister would argue for unfair trial and possibly even sue Brighton. 

I don’t know if he’s guilty or not, and it’s fair to say that it’s unlikely that anyone at Brighton or AVFC really does either. I’d say though there are strong grounds for us to tread carefully on this one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

is there ANY precedent for that kind of deal in the history of football? Would the clause say ‘if he pinched a bum it’s ok, if he touched a fanny no deal?’

Well regardless of the outcome he could still be President of the USA.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

is there ANY precedent for that kind of deal in the history of football? Would the clause say ‘if he pinched a bum it’s ok, if he touched a fanny no deal?’

That would be a right word removed of a clause to try and negotiate. 

Is the answer a 6 month loan deal with an obligation to buy if no charges are made against him? 

I strongly suspect that if we do anything the club will be 100% satisfied that there is nothing in it. 

Will his legal team have access to the CCTV tapes? Surely they must to put up a defence. Maybe the club have seen those? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Is the answer a 6 month loan deal with an obligation to buy if no charges are made against him? 

I strongly suspect that if we do anything the club will be 100% satisfied that there is nothing in it. 

Will his legal team have access to the CCTV tapes? Surely they must to put up a defence. Maybe the club have seen those? 

At present the police are collecting information. If a charge is laid - CPS  must agree there is a case to answer - then his defence lawyers have the right to see all evidence against their client (including CCTV). In the trade it’s known as early exchange of information and must be completed in time for the defence to be mounted. Right now the defence may have seen things to assist in a decision but nothing of certainty.

• Thanks 2

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

Signing digne puts any bissouma deal dead in the water i think? Or does it?

Not necessarily. In the summer we spent the Grealish money, but didn't spend any of the 100 or so million that FFP allows. So in thoery, we still have about 70-80m to spend after this deal is done. Those figures are completely ballpark.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Signing digne puts any bissouma deal dead in the water i think? Or does it?

Doubt it. We were linked with Hickey for £15m and this deal isn’t that much more other than wages, which will be spread out.

Can’t see Gerrard not pushing for another midfielder in this window.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, PerryBarrPet said:

At present the police are collecting information. If a charge is laid - CPS  must agree there is a case to answer - then his defence lawyers have the right to see all evidence against their client (including CCTV). In the trade it’s known as early exchange of information and must be completed in time for the defence to be mounted. Right now the defence may have seen things to assist in a decision but nothing of certainty.

It's also not as easy as that. Sexual assault cases are very hard to prosecute, CPS will only charge if there's a realistic chance of conviction. This not being charged doesn't make him innocent. Just look at the Cronaldo case, and the docs around that where in a civil level he's admitted guilt. 

As a result of this hanging over his head, I'd be uncomfortable even if the case is dropped. 

Fine player though he is. 

i would love to sign Bissouma, but i also think spending 50m on a no.6 in Jan, when he only has 18 months on his contract, just sounds a bit nuts to me.

Its a huge amount of money, he would prob cost a lot less in the summer, although there would prob be a lot of competition then.

I dunno, i would love Bissouma......but i think we could spend 50m better than that, im sure we could pick up a super high quality DM for 20-35m, who is maybe a bit older, but who would still be a top player?

Its not my money at the end of the day, so i wouldnt complain if we did pop 50m on him, i just think the money could be better spent, if it is 50m.

14 minutes ago, Dale said:

It's also not as easy as that. Sexual assault cases are very hard to prosecute, CPS will only charge if there's a realistic chance of conviction. This not being charged doesn't make him innocent. Just look at the Cronaldo case, and the docs around that where in a civil level he's admitted guilt. 

As a result of this hanging over his head, I'd be uncomfortable even if the case is dropped. 

Fine player though he is. 

You have to be careful there because you are therefore presuming some guilt there based on your view in the first paragraph when he could actually be completely innocent.  

Just as people can get away with things as you say in the first paragraph there are also many cases where people are falsely accused and their reputation is tarnished for life.  

There is no easy answer to it I agree but I would expect the club to do their usual due diligence of the player (like any player we would like to sign).  Check out his character (probably some assessment of this incident included) and so forth and if the case is dropped and we sign him I have to give him the benefit of the doubt because I trust the club.

19 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i would love to sign Bissouma, but i also think spending 50m on a no.6 in Jan, when he only has 18 months on his contract, just sounds a bit nuts to me.

Its a huge amount of money, he would prob cost a lot less in the summer, although there would prob be a lot of competition then.

I dunno, i would love Bissouma......but i think we could spend 50m better than that, im sure we could pick up a super high quality DM for 20-35m, who is maybe a bit older, but who would still be a top player?

Its not my money at the end of the day, so i wouldnt complain if we did pop 50m on him, i just think the money could be better spent, if it is 50m.

I’m ok with 50m if that’s what we have to pay.

He’s 25 years old so the perfect age, has 100 games under his belt in this country and looks like he can only get better.

It’s a lot of money for No.6 especially as he only has 18 months left on his contract but he’s young and has a lot of admirers who will probably circle in the summer ruling us out thus our chance is now.

You mention other cheaper but high quality players but who really, who we know can play in this league at the higher end? It’s hard because most of the names previously mentioned are foreign based and we have no idea if they would succeed here.

I feel we missed out on Phillips a few years ago and what a difference he would’ve made to us and I don’t want to miss that opportunity now with Bissouma.

It’s the one position pretty much most of us agree on is a priority, we have somebody the right age, quality and looks like we can get.  At 25 he also has resale value in 2,3,4 years time.

Maybe the money could be better spent but I think that increases the risk many fold.  I think do the deal, pay the premium, get the major missing piece to our team and move on.  Find bargains elsewhere in our transfer dealings, we need to get this position right because it is a big hole currently.

• Like 1

Â