Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

4 minutes ago, UpTheVilla26 said:

He gave us a few glimpses of the brilliance he can produce but ultimately has been a bit of a let down. 

I've watched a lot of games, where he ambles about doing nothing. He's at the wrong end of a good career to need to prove himself and will probably suit the MLS or some Arabian League where he'd stand out a mile without putting the graft in. 

We won't be getting much of a fee I'd have thought but hopefully we've learnt a lesson with this signing. 

Can't some of that be attributed to Gerrad's tactics (or lack of)? 

How many times did we see him isolated in the middle with no help, whilst McGinn and Ramsey were off covering the full backs and Douglas Luiz in DM with no link to midfield and attack.

The system under Gerrard was a complete shambles; it would have made Messi look like Bebe.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thug said:

Aston Villa Football Club need this to work as much as the player himself.

Somewhat agree.

We need to be seen as a club where stars can resurrect their careers, not as a club for them to absolutely be finished off.

Strongly agree.

Gotta give him a chance.

Somewhat disagree.

I would be delighted if he manages to turn this around.

Strongly agree.

• Like 3

He's absolutely ruining my FM save, he's been absolutely useless, I can't sell him to anyone and he's still got a contract tll the end of 2025.

Irl, I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone.

He hasn't done a thing since being signed permanently, a few good performances last season but that was just the new club bounce and he has since reverted to status quo.

Disaster of a signing, and definitely a flop.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

We really should have just send him back after the loan. Was good on loan crap as permanent signing

At best we should have given him a 1 year deal.

4 year deal absolutely baffling decision by the club

• Like 4

Must admit in some ways I would love him to stay and sort himself out but it looks as though he just wants to go home basically. He's earned his fortune and has clearly lost his drive. That is an issue as Drive is the one thing which cannot be coached  and no amount of training will sort. If it's gone, it's gone. Even Gerrard had to drop him eventually, way too late to save his job however. Now his mate has left & with a bunch of his South American rivals about to show off their World cup winners medals this may just be the final straw for him, especially as one of the main reasons he came was specifically to try to make that Brazillian Squad which he failed to make. That must hurt the guy on some level, surely?!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, messi11 said:

Farewell Coutinho. Thanks for the memories. 

I'd prefer to see Coutinho play under Emery first, but if he wants to go then so be it. If he leaves then it will be with regret that we didn't see the best of him, but I don't think he will be missed.

Edited by Made In Aston

On 20/12/2022 at 16:43, Stevo985 said:

When did I say it was a nailed on cert. It was just a short way of saying this is what I and others predicted what would happen.

I've already said I'd far rather he stayed and turned things around under the new manager.

What exactly is the issue?

"Called it". Called what? Nothing has happened. 

No issue though, like I said, this is the sort of post that cements this forums brilliance.

1 hour ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Must admit in some ways I would love him to stay and sort himself out but it looks as though he just wants to go home basically. He's earned his fortune and has clearly lost his drive. That is an issue as Drive is the one thing which cannot be coached  and no amount of training will sort. If it's gone, it's gone. Even Gerrard had to drop him eventually, way too late to save his job however. Now his mate has left & with a bunch of his South American rivals about to show off their World cup winners medals this may just be the final straw for him, especially as one of the main reasons he came was specifically to try to make that Brazillian Squad which he failed to make. That must hurt the guy on some level, surely?!

I share much the same view......His talent is never in question, and some of his play has been sublime.....but in top class football, application is paramount.

Messi, still has it......and Phil is in a similar camp in relation to talent.....but Messi has application too.

I hope UE can rediscover, Phils appetite, but I fear, for whatever reason, he has lost it.

When a player of his talent has to go, its particularly disappointing, when its so hard to find players with that level of skill.....but when the talent is negated, by opposition, its time re-evaluate.

sad situation.

His goal at Man City was exquisite and his energy was up. If Emery can coax that out of him consistently we will have a new player in a way. Too often he looks sad and tired. No spark. If Emery can't ignite something nobody can.

Edited by maqroll

Â