Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

There is a big difference between `obligation' to buy and `option' to buy. Option is the usual one, which makes sense, as if you do not know how the player will play during his loan period, you will not want to be obligated to buy him.

Edited by AntrimBlack
comma position.

15 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Did they ? I thought it was Costa from wolves and the terms were if they got promoted they had to buy him, and buy him they did despite trying not to ?

Jean-Kevin Augustin. Plays for Nantes now. Seems they had a penalty enforced against them but they didn't complete the purchase Jean-Kevin. 

10 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

Leeds got out of a loan with an "obligation" to buy not to long ago. So who knows how these deals work anymore. The media reports these complicated contracts in simplistic terms when really there can be all types of out clauses and what not inserted by the contracted parties.  

Well, I don’t know about got out of it. There’s a hearing set for March 15th to finalize the lawsuit. So Leeds could still end up paying the £18 million they initially agreed to for the deal. The Athletic has a good article on the whole saga.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Well, I don’t know about got out of it. There’s a hearing set for March 15th to finalize the lawsuit. So Leeds could still end up paying the £18 million they initially agreed to for the deal. The Athletic has a good article on the whole saga.

Would be funny if they did. They don’t have much money anyway but to have to pay out £18m for someone they don’t want…😂

• Like 1

On 05/02/2022 at 19:59, tomav84 said:

It might be agreed in principle, I don’t doubt that. It might be agreed that Villa would pay him £150 grand a week on a four year deal. A gentleman’s agreement of sorts. But I don’t think he would be obligated to sign at the end of his loan

There’s an old saying. “A verbal agreement is not worth the paper it’s written on.” That value goes down directly proportionally to the amount of money involved. 

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Would be funny if they did. They don’t have much money anyway but to have to pay out £18m for someone they don’t want…😂

If that's the case then it's not even paying for a player they don't want since he is registered to a completely different club now. They would essentially be paying a fine and recieve nothing in return. 

• Haha 1

Barca needed certainty he was off their books and wanted the obligation to buy - whilst we needed an option to buy or we could be stuck with an underperforming expensive player - according to many media reports. The underlying contract would have been consistent whether option or obligation - if you're negotiating a contract that has the potential to be an obligation to buy - then you are negotiating a permanent transfer with rather important factors like wages fully agreed. No way this variable was stripped out of the contract just because we negotiated the option to buy - we got that option because the player chose Stevie G and Villa and Barca were desperate - our hand was stronger.

Biggest threat to Coutinho staying is if the player has some sort of get-out whereby he refuses the permanent transfer (in reality he has probably already given this right away) and goes to the highest wage offer elsewhere. For many reasons this just doesn't appear to fit as a possibility - but granted, we cannot know 100%. What else would we worry about this summer anyway. 

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

He hasn't scored a league goals since early 2019

People moaned that Bielsa knew best and we would go down by not signing him in that transfer window. Samatta has had more impact in that time 😂

12 minutes ago, dounavilla said:

how do you know that you don't know though ? 

You can know what you know and you can also know that you know nothing. Of course you can’t know the exact details of the nothing that you know, just that it’s nothing. What nothing is will always be a mystery, unless of course you’re talking to your wife or girlfriend.  For example; You. “Hi darling you look a bit down.”

Wife. “Oh it’s nothing.”

You. “Are you sure? “

Wife. “YES!”

You. “Ok.”

Wife. “That woman from school does my head in. She turns up in her fancy car and fancy clothes. The car is playing up again. The shelf in the lounge is still wonky. The kids are always fighting. My hair dresser is off sick. I’ve got nothing to wear for our holiday. The woman from school is going to a better place than us. Etc, etc, etc……………”

Now that is “nothing” properly explained. Women are so much more informed when it comes to nothing. 

P.S. apologies to any ladies reading this, I meant nothing by it. 

• Haha 3

Either we sign him for a fee we've already agreed to pay, which would mean we think he's worth whatever we've set the price at.

Or we don't and he goes on his way somewhere else, with us either not willing to meet the price, or some mysterious get out clause getting activated.

It's a bit of a no lose situation for us. We probably wouldn't get someone with his experience instead of him, but we could get someone going into their prime, instead of coming out of it that sets us up better from a FFP perspective.

Traoré and Bailey getting back to fitness are alternatives to Coutinho's spot, obviously not as good, but we're not short of options in this area as well.

24 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

You can know what you know and you can also know that you know nothing. Of course you can’t know the exact details of the nothing that you know, just that it’s nothing. What nothing is will always be a mystery, unless of course you’re talking to your wife or girlfriend.  For example; You. “Hi darling you look a bit down.”

Wife. “Oh it’s nothing.”

You. “Are you sure? “

Wife. “YES!”

You. “Ok.”

Wife. “That woman from school does my head in. She turns up in her fancy car and fancy clothes. The car is playing up again. The shelf in the lounge is still wonky. The kids are always fighting. My hair dresser is off sick. I’ve got nothing to wear for our holiday. The woman from school is going to a better place than us. Etc, etc, etc……………”

Now that is “nothing” properly explained. Women are so much more informed when it comes to nothing. 

or 'whatever'.

''you can do whatever you want ''.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Wife. “Oh it’s nothing.”

You. “Are you sure? “

Wife. “YES!”

You. “Ok.”

Nothing like women.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Guys. 

Stop. 

Please. Stop. 

fancy a bet on it ?

Sorry

• Haha 1

Â