Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So, if I’m reading this right, we can sign him for the agreed price at the end of the season and Coutinho doesn’t have a say as he’s pre agreed the contract in advance?

If that is the case we would have already negotiated the contract with Coutinho and his agent before he came here. 

More likely IMO is that we agreed a price with Barca but has not signed any deal with Coutinho yet so he's still free to chose if he want's to move someplace else come the summer. That club would still have to make a deal with Barca thou.

• Like 1

If he wants to be here he will be here. If he doesn’t want to be here, we wouldn’t want him here whether terms are agreed or not. Maybe there should be a separate ‘Contract Clauses’ thread for people to go back and forth on stuff like this and Douglas Luiz’s buyback clause and any other piece of paperwork that may never be relevant, and that we will never actually see and are just speculating about!

9 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

So, if I’m reading this right, we can sign him for the agreed price at the end of the season and Coutinho doesn’t have a say as he’s pre agreed the contract in advance?

That's my understanding, however no one can say for sure unless they've worked in football and seen these types of contract.

All we can point to is the history of these type of deals getting completed

i guess we'll see in the summer. i just don't see the point in a clause if another club can buy him. theoretically every loan therefore has an 'option to buy' if any old club can just swoop in

• Like 1

Just now, tomav84 said:

i guess we'll see in the summer. i just don't see the point in a clause if another club can buy him. theoretically every loan therefore has an 'option to buy' if any old club can just swoop in

This is it for me 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

But Villa have agreed a price with Barca, £33m if I’m not mistaken.

Let’s say Coutinho scores in every single remaining game, he wins every player of the month going, he’s has a ****ing blinder for Villa.

I would expect that the selling club might think “Oh shit, he’s worth more than what we agreed on.” If he signed for Villa permanently, they would HAVE to sell for £33m as that’s what’s been agreed. But if another club came in for him, they could say to that club “£70m please”.

• Like 3

Just need to show him the love rest of the season.

In a way it reminds me of Carbone here 20 years ago. Coutinho class above Beni but remember the Holte signing "sign him up" for weeks on end but it didn't happen. We now have the manager and owner to make this happen.

Also get him in full time and it's much easier to attract 2-3 other high quality players over next few seasons particularly as we should be making europe soon.

This is sort of signing that always tended to allude us in the Lerner era when we were finishing 6th.

34 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has only signed a loan contract with Villa though not a permanent deal.

2 different contracts especially as we are not paying his full salary 

He has signed a loan contract with an option for Villa to make it permanent

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

But Villa have agreed a price with Barca, £33m if I’m not mistaken.

Let’s say Coutinho scores in every single remaining game, he wins every player of the month going, he’s has a ****ing blinder for Villa.

I would expect that the selling club might think “Oh shit, he’s worth more than what we agreed on.” If he signed for Villa permanently, they would HAVE to sell for £33m as that’s what’s been agreed. But if another club came in for him, they could say to that club “£70m please”.

this is the point i'm making. there would be literally zero point in an 'option to buy' if this was possible.

i'm also yet to see anyone provide an example where this has happened

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

this is the point i'm making. there would be literally zero point in an 'option to buy' if this was possible.

The point is a fixed priced has been agreed with Villa. That is the benefit.

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

If I understand it correctly, the fee has been pre agreed, we effectively have first refusal and if he's happy then we simply press pay. If it doesn't work out it's open season for anyone interested in him.

that's my understanding. but we'll see in the summer...we might be completely wrong

i just don't even see the point in calling something an 'option to buy' if we don't have first refusal

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

No he hasn't. He has no obligation to stay at Villa 

Then please explain what is an option to buy? Because you seem to believe its not an option at all. 

It's not called an option to bid or an option to negotiate or an option to speak with the player, its an option to buy which all parties to the contract sign up to at it's inception with their eyes open. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Thing with that is player needs to want to move.

I mean we could go and offer 80m for Declan Rice but he'd turn us down as he wants to play in CL sooner or later and we're not at that level yet.

Coutinho has played for three CL clubs in last 5 years so pool of availability from that area shrinks given he struggled at two of them (think he was more of a sub at Bayern Munich) so why not play for a team on the rise with manager he hugely respects?

Newcastle don't have any of that so I doubt he'd consider them even if they offer 60m to Barca end of the season.

Barca just want his wages off the books anyway rather than x amount of transfer fee otherwise they'll continue to struggle to register new signings with the bizarre way they're run nowadays.

I see this as a bit like Mings tbh.

He came here when his career had lost momentum, loved it here and got promoted and was happy to sign full time and since then he's become regular in England squad.

Not sure there was even option to buy in those terms of took a couple of months for him to sign full time IIRC but it happened when people were worried Bournemouth would keep him or sell him on to someone else.

Edited by VillaChris

3 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Then please explain what is an option to buy? Because you seem to believe its not an option at. 

It's not called an option to bid or an option to negotiate or an option to speak with the player, its an option to buy which all parties to the contract sign up to at it's inception with their eyes open. 

We only have an agreed price with Barcelona that is all at this time. If Spurs bid the same and Barcelona accept the offer then he can negotiate with them

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

It means Villa has an agreed fee with Barcelona to buy him. It doesn't mean the player has to join, if he gets another offer he can decide to go elsewhere 

No, no it doesn't. That would be described as, I don't know, a fixed fee agreement. That would mean we don't in fact have an option to buy at all. Coutinho signed up to the option clause when he signed his contract with us. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We only have an agreed price with Barcelona that is all at this time. If Spurs bid the same and Barcelona accept the offer then he can negotiate with them

Where do u get that from? That is not what an option to buy is

• Like 1

Â