Philippe Coutinho

Wainy316

I think age becomes less important depending on what the player relies on as he doesn’t exactly rely on pace constantly or anything like that. I would take Modric in a heartbeat for example and he is 36. He is still running the Madrid midfield today. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, a m ole said:

‘Clever’ chants from message boards/Twitter never catch on especially when they’re cringe so fortunately won’t have to worry about it

True.

His chant is going to be "Oh Phillippe Coutinho" We all know it.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Coutinho is 29. He'll turn 30 in June which is before we can sign him on a permanent basis. If we do sign him and give him, say, 3 years  then his resale value is practically zero at the end of his contract.  

I'm sceptical about this deal.  Clearly Coutinho is a wonderful player, I don't think he's as good as Jack Grealish was so I don't subscribe to the idea that we are buying someone who is better than anything we've seen down Villa years and I wonder where he fits into the side.   If you look at heat maps for him then he occupies the spot that Grealish vacated on the left hand side.   He's not going to contribute much defensively at all which exposes Matt Targett even more.   It's probably good news for JJ Ramsey if we need legs and energy on the left but I don't see how the £100m we spent in the summer on Ings, Buendia and Bailey gets on the pitch if Coutinho is in the squad.  If Watkins plays then only one of the three summer signings gets into the team, I think it's probably Buendia if we use him on the right with Ollie in the middle and Coutinho on the left.   Do we try and sell Bailey in the summer?  

You must realise that we need more than one person for each position.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

I think age becomes less important depending on what the player relies on as he doesn’t exactly rely on pace constantly or anything like that. I would take Modric in a heartbeat for example and he is 36. He is still running the Madrid midfield today. 

Yeah it doesn’t always work out for some, injuries play a big part, but the truly elite athletes are able to adapt as they age.

Edited by Aston_Villan4

7 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

I'm sceptical about this deal.

I don't see how the £100m we spent in the summer on Ings, Buendia and Bailey gets on the pitch if Coutinho is in the squad.  

As exciting as the deal is from a stature POV, these are my thoughts. We have a very unbalanced squad. Recruitment is Man United esque. At least with the option to buy it's a low risk move but there doesn't seem to be a great deal of planning going on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, sne said:

€45m would be very high for a guy with only 12 months left on his contract that the selling club is desperate to get rid of and cant afford to keep.

Barcelona would be creaming themselves if they got anything close to that. They gave away Suarez for free to Atletico while continuing to pay half his salary.

And that's why I'm hoping we've got a decent deal lined up.

Barca are desperate to get rid.

• Like 1

Coutinho is 29, in June he'll be 30. He is invisible prime years, hopefully they are with Villa.

De Bruyne is one year older, Cavani, Ibrahimovic, Ronaldo, Messi all older than Coutinho and all still quality players.

If Coutinho has a successful six months here, we should be signing him and the aloe won't matter as it'll be worth it.

We cannot have a first eleven who are all under the age of 26 it's imperative to have experience like Ashley Young around the first team, training etc.

• Like 1

Indeed.  I get the excitement, but this aint the Villa that the owners said they were going to build.   We are recruiting like Everton did a couple of seasons ago.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Coutinho is 29. He'll turn 30 in June which is before we can sign him on a permanent basis. If we do sign him and give him, say, 3 years  then his resale value is practically zero at the end of his contract.  

I'm sceptical about this deal.  Clearly Coutinho is a wonderful player, I don't think he's as good as Jack Grealish was so I don't subscribe to the idea that we are buying someone who is better than anything we've seen down Villa years and I wonder where he fits into the side.   If you look at heat maps for him then he occupies the spot that Grealish vacated on the left hand side.   He's not going to contribute much defensively at all which exposes Matt Targett even more.   It's probably good news for JJ Ramsey if we need legs and energy on the left but I don't see how the £100m we spent in the summer on Ings, Buendia and Bailey gets on the pitch if Coutinho is in the squad.  If Watkins plays then only one of the three summer signings gets into the team, I think it's probably Buendia if we use him on the right with Ollie in the middle and Coutinho on the left.   Do we try and sell Bailey in the summer?  

Well Ings and Watkins now have to fight for the same shirt, the others too. Then we rotate and keep them all fresh.

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

Indeed.  I get the excitement, but this aint the Villa that the owners said they were going to build.   We are recruiting like Everton did a couple of seasons ago.

Yep. Everton are the golden example of how not to do it.

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

Its just a loan. Lets see if he’s willing to play for a contract at the end of it. If he does and he wants to be serious about wages and the structure we have in place- only time will tell.

2 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

How is our recruiting similar to Evertons of a few years ago?

• Thanks 1

Â