Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

Another poster said it a few weeks back and I can't remember who it was so apologies for not giving them credit, but all of Gerrard's decisions just feel wrong. Win or loss under Deano you always felt he was making the decisions that were best for the club, Gerrard seems to be making decisions based on what's best for Steven Gerrard.       

2 minutes ago, Delphouneso said:

Another poster said it a few weeks back and I can't remember who it was so apologies for not giving them credit, but all of Gerrard's decisions just feel wrong. Win or loss under Deano you always felt he was making the decisions that were best for the club, Gerrard seems to be making decisions based on what's best for Steven Gerrard.       

What makes you say that?

I feel like he just has a very fixed view of the way he wants his team to play, and he’s unprepared to change it no matter how badly it (or his chosen players) appears to be faring on the pitch.

• Like 2

I was a DS fan but understood it when he was sacked, we needed to go to the next level. 

Now some credit needs to go to SG for calibre of signings, I do believe his reputation has helped us there, whether these are the right players for us or covered the areas needing work is another debate.

Last night was like under Bruce, just clueless slow shit in our own half then hoof it forward. Our most attacking players our full backs were anonymous and so was our midfield bar Kamara.

I've got my issues with Mings but as many have said he was perfect for the Bournemouth game, and even if he is injured/dropped how does Konsa get ahead of Chambers. How does Sanson not make the bench.

Over to you Steven, I have a feeling that before the World Cup begins we will know whether you are not up to this level, or I am looking very foolish. I do hope it's the latter.

Yesterday needs to be an anomaly because losing is part of the sport, yesterday was pathetic.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

✅ Players rebelling on social media

✅ First Teamers bombed out with the kids

✅ Alienating Senior Pros/Captain

✅ Snapping at Journos

Bad day at the office for Stevie. Needs to pull his finger out and get it together.

I’d terminate his contract for that ridiculous comment alone. No, Steven, you don’t seem to know Philippe since you can’t get him firing.. at all.. and even resorted to putting Buendia out on the left (which you’ve never done before; even in pre-season) in a desperate attempt to accommodate your best pal in space that didn’t exist who then went on to continue being completely ineffective for the rest of the game. 

Your method of throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks is testament to the fact that you have no idea what you’re doing, as is this defensive, petty comment. C***. I cannot wait to see the back of him.

Edited by AV82
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

What makes you say that?

I feel like he just has a very fixed view of the way he wants his team to play, and he’s unprepared to change it no matter how badly it (or his chosen players) appears to be faring on the pitch.

Exactly this. He has zero flexibility. It's like he doesn't watch the games or know the opposition.

I thought he was a poor appointment when he started and he seems intent on backing up that opinion 

On 12/11/2021 at 13:33, Ingram85 said:

Is what it is. I’m massively underwhelmed, not particularly keen on him as a person, unproven somewhat as a manager. It’s made me a little bit more disinterested than I was before if I’m honest but that’s maybe more to do with modern football as a whole though. Hope he does well. We are a potential stepping stone but if he uses us for progressing himself and succeeds then I guess it’s good for us also. Ultimately, it’s a weird one. Can’t say I’m excited though.

9 months later and pretty much nothings changed for me. It’s gone as I expected. 

• Like 2

Posted this in the match reactions thread, but probably better here...

First day anomalies happy. I don't expect Fulham to go toe-to-toe with Liverpool this season, just like Burnley didn't push-on by beating Chelsea. Hell, Tony Moon scored a 3rd against Arsenal on the opening day, so they can be a poor indicator of what's to come.

Yesterday was alarming however. We looked really poor, devoid of ideas, strategy, shape, leaving us unable to create anything. In addition to being poorly setup, individual players looked like they forgot how to play football - lacking touch, passing and fight.

Gerrard knew that Bournemouth were stacked with tall players, yet left our tallest and most physically imposing CB on the bench. I'd probably go as far as suggesting their goals wouldn't have happened had Mings been on the pitch.

That doesn't mean we'd have won though, as we never looked like scoring. Poorly delivered crosses into the box seemed to be our only plan - dealt easily by Bournemouth's defenders. They kept us compact, and we didn't have any route through them. No overloads, no through balls, no change of pace once we had the ball under control, there was nothing.

On the plus side, Kamara looked quality and Carlos was largely solid. That's about it though. JJ and McGinn don't play well together in this "system". We know that Coutinho is a far better player than he's shown, but he's been in hugely inconsistent form, and yesterday was rubbish. Luiz came on for Kamara, when I think he and Bouba would be better playing together.

There were signs that Bailey and Cash can form an understanding, but that leaves us lopsided. In fact, Bailey started more centrally and could be useful there , or cutting in from the flanks to assist a striker, or have the pace to latch on to a through ball. Of which, Buendia needs to start in place of Phil for the next game. Traore and Samson could have been useful options on the bench too.

I fully expect more players in through the door, so I don't think Gerrard is going anywhere just yet, but Everton and Palace will tell us a lot more about what we can expect from this season. He's heaped a huge amount of unnecessary pressure on himself after that shitshow. You'd hope that one of our thousand coaches can see just how disjointed we are and put it right.

The next two games will decide how long Gerrard stays in the job. The one good thing is that, whenever he does leave, we'll have an excellent squad of players, some of whom would not be here without him.

Let's see who can actually get a tune out of them!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, delboy54 said:

My missus summed it up by saying.... "Gerrard is out of his depth" and she knows nothing about footy !

If she can see that Gerrard is the wrong person for the job, you can bet our owners can as well

She already knows more than Purslow 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was very supportive of Gerrard when he joined Villa, but after having slept on it and calmed down, I find myself with no support left for Gerrard.

I dont actually mind that we lost against Bournemouth, freak results can happen.
However, 2 wins in 13 games (1/3 of a season) is unacceptable, and no signs of improvement or a plan or tactical nous is the worst part of that run.

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

She already knows more than Purslow 😛

You don’t think Purslow already has a shortlist for the next Villa manager.   He’s a minority shareholder in the club, he will be protecting millions of pounds of his own investment by being ruthless when needed. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is no denying howes done a better job than gerrard has so far thats undeniable 

Joelinton has been a revelation in midfield. Not sure Gerrard could have spotted that if in same boat

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Rangers signed a eye watering 38 new players while Gerrard was manager there. Guess we'll just continue to throw money at the problem and maybe we get lucky.

Or we cut our losses and see what someone else can do. I know which I would choose.

Certainly doesn't feel like Gerrard is building anything here, lately it feels more like he's tearing stuff down.

In fairness we can hope 19 other Premier League teams hire Neil Lennon that will push us up

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

9 months later and pretty much nothings changed for me. It’s gone as I expected. 

Yes, I've felt pretty much the same myself. Last season, so many said our squad was not good enough for the football Gerrard wants to play.  Good managers, in all walks of life, get the best out of what's available to them. Scott Parker did that yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it's reasonable to expect to have 8-10 points on the board by the time the first international break comes. If we are well short of that mark and performances have not improved, then I'd hope that the owners were seriously considering whether Gerrard is the right man in charge. 

Just now, Shirtman said:

Yes, I've felt pretty much the same myself. Last season, so many said our squad was not good enough for the football Gerrard wants to play.  Good managers, in all walks of life, get the best out of what's available to them. Scott Parker did that yesterday.

Problem being is the reverse in that we have a good squad but Gerrard has no idea what football he wants to play. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

What makes you say that?

I don’t disagree with this, there’s an element of bloody mindedness about him at the moment. I think he’s trying to make points and be a tough manager but he needs some flexibility. I hope he can do this, I remember Deano had similar issues before the post lockdown reboot. He’s also bedding in a new coach after a very influential former long term coach. Perhaps the new guy will become more influential and that will be good for SG and the team in the near future. Either way this needs to happen pretty quickly, as I don’t believe there’s any real appetite for a manager change amongst the club hierarchy. 

16 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Looking back through the beginning of the thread I had forgotten how generally disappointed and wary the majority of posters were about this appointment.

Seems we do know football

Â