Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

29 minutes ago, TRO said:

If you think some of the players we have are of merchantable quality to challenge for Europe, Then I have to respectfully disagree.

You don’t think any of our current players are good enough for a team challenging for 6-7th place?  That’s a really depressing thought imo, but maybe I misunderstood.

5 hours ago, tinker said:

It's all very well blaming Smith for this season's performances.......Smith finished higher with more or less the same squad, bearing in mind we lost Jack but gained Ings , Coutinho , Beundia , Bailey and  Digne. 

There's no argument in my mind , Gerrard has underachieved with this squad. 

Your point on steel in the squad is valid , but we had Tim on yesterday and he should be starting if Gerrard wants that steel, same with Sansom and Nakamba. Coutinho offers no steel , Beundia does. He has options and he's not using them . 

I hope he can improve on it next season but if it quacks like a duck l.........then it's a duck 😉

That's much too simple to say, and I am not blaming Dean.....so lets get that straight to start.....but Dean couldn't compensate for Jacks ball retention either, with Ings, Bailey or Buendia....not the sort of players to expect to....neither was Digne or to a lesser degree Coutinho under SG.

My point is valid on steel, but then you go on to brush it under the carpet, like it was a slight inconvenience to the critique......Its an issue, that won't go away, and we need to appreciate that....its impacting on the whole teams persona.

Sanson is not steel.....Tim is a young boy of 18 learning his trade....Nakamba has been missing and recovering from a long term injury.....His options are limited, and you know it.

If he can't improve on it next season, with his own influx of players.....then he will be judged fairly.....but 21 games mid season, with these circumstances is a joke.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

You don’t think any of our current players are good enough for a team challenging for 6-7th place?  That’s a really depressing thought imo, but maybe I misunderstood.

I said....some of our players

you then quoted me as saying "any" of our players.

some are good enough and some are not.

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I said....some of our players

you then quoted me as saying "any" of our players.

some are good enough and some are not.

You asked if he thought some of our players were good enough and if he did that you disagree.. that translates as you thinking none of them are.

On topic: I agree that the squad is imbalanced, but think we have a team capable of finishing higher than it is performing with Gerrard. He needs to get more out of what we have available. But i suspect we'll need to sign a few players that suit our system to see a real improvement from Gerrard and this team.

Edited by MrBlack

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I too am not advocating him being Sacked, I think we would be a laughing stock, if we did....

I am.

He hasn’t improved anything, some things have got worse. The formation is stupid and he shouldn’t be trusted with the summer budget.

The club should admit the error, pay him off and choose again.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, paul514 said:

I am.

He hasn’t improved anything, some things have got worse. The formation is stupid and he shouldn’t be trusted with the summer budget.

He definitely improved us as we were going nowhere with Smith without Grealish. But the improvement wasn't enough for where we want to be, add to that some of the mistakes Smith used to do is still being done by SG. 

8 hours ago, TRO said:

My point is valid on steel, but then you go on to brush it under the carpet, like it was a slight inconvenience to the critique......Its an issue, that won't go away, and we need to appreciate that....its impacting on the whole teams persona.

Sanson is not steel.....Tim is a young boy of 18 learning his trade....Nakamba has been missing and recovering from a long term injury.....His options are limited, and you know it.

I didn't sweep it under the carpet I gave options Gerrard could try. Sansom offers something different and so does Tim , like wise Beundia. Their not the answer to all of our problems but they are an attempt at a short term solution.

The fullbacks bombing up the pitch is also further weakening our already weak (defensively) midfield. These are areas you are ignoring to suite your point of view that Gerrard will succeed, one you have had from the start of his tenure. I hope you are right but I'm not one for ignoring what's happening right in front of us all 

Gerrard is a beginner, he has to learn quickly but he doesn't seem to be flexible enough. Even if he gets his players to work this system he wants to play he will still have to adapt to cover for injuries, suspension, forced  transfers and other managers who know how to expose the high full backs tactics.

I see your point on a DM, I have been asking for one for a couple of seasons, not sure why our recruitment team hasn't highlighted the need but that area needs addressing as well.

4 hours ago, paul514 said:

I am.

Yep it would show decisiveness and not make us a laughing stock. The only criticism is from the clown crew at Sky because who is getting sacked. 

As it is Southampton were a laughing stock at the time for sacking Adkins for Pochettino and Burnley were two weeks ago for sacking Dyche. I am sure both clubs dont care

And yet, win our two games in hand and we go up to 9th in the table.

I think the middle of the table is very congested and those variables need to be taken into account also when comparing a mid table teams performance over a season. 

If we were miles off where we were hoping to be I’d understand more, but big picture is.. we are pretty much where we should be, this season, 6 points off 9th with 2 games in hand. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 2

I've been on the fence a bit with SG, and having watched pretty much every match this season, I'm starting to think that giving him next season based on current form is a really bad idea.

I think he should be judged on the rest of this season, before even considering giving him next season and a massive transfer kitty.

If he can't motivate the current players to play like they did in some stages vs Tottenham for the rest of this season, then I don't think he's the right person for Villa, unfortunately.

Giving him massive transfer funds after not being able to lift a supposed top half squad (including Coutinho ffs) to win and move us up the table would be a massive mistake, imo.

I don't see any kind of tactical awareness, little signs of him actually sticking to his word and replacing poorly performing players, his substitutions are shockingly bad, and usually too late.

I can see some signs of him using youth, but i do wonder if this is more in desperation than judgement.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong here, but I just can't see him being any good at the moment.

• Like 2

Some folk are going to be very disappointed as there’s not a chance in hell that the club will sack SG ahead of another season in the premier league. 

He’s here for the start of next season so we just need to get behind the team.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mister_a said:

I've been on the fence a bit with SG, and having watched pretty much every match this season, I'm starting to think that giving him next season based on current form is a really bad idea.

I think he should be judged on the rest of this season, before even considering giving him next season and a massive transfer kitty.

If he can't motivate the current players to play like they did in some stages vs Tottenham for the rest of this season, then I don't think he's the right person for Villa, unfortunately.

Giving him massive transfer funds after not being able to lift a supposed top half squad (including Coutinho ffs) to win and move us up the table would be a massive mistake, imo.

I don't see any kind of tactical awareness, little signs of him actually sticking to his word and replacing poorly performing players, his substitutions are shockingly bad, and usually too late.

I can see some signs of him using youth, but i do wonder if this is more in desperation than judgement.

I'd love for him to prove me wrong here, but I just can't see him being any good at the moment.

Fair play, but I think the KEY thing most people are missing is that, the board and owners will have an even closer eye on these things, than us on a message board.

They will know if he is worth giving him the summer and beginning of next season, or not.

I'm also pretty confident, that any transfer moves we make, will benefit the club as a whole, regardless of who the Manager is.

I don't see us making any silly sales, or purchases, to the detriment of the club.

There certainly won't be any sentiment IMO, especially not in this stage of development.

We aren't trying to tread water anymore, we are trying to push on. All the tools required on the pitch, will soon be in the final stages.

If a Manager can't fulfill the next phase, I have no doubt that he will be moved on.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

Some folk are going to be very disappointed as there’s not a chance in hell that the club will sack SG ahead of another season in the premier league. 

He’s here for the start of next season so we just need to get behind the team.

What if we barely win another game?

It feels a bit odd to me we could just win one game in last 11-12, finish 15th or 16th and yet no questions asked whatsoever that there should be any doubt Gerrard gets 100m + transfer warchest to potentially waste another season.

Let's not forget we added three outfield players in January, two of whom have been at the top level for pretty much all of their senior careers for club and country yet the results have remained mediocre.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What if we barely win another game?

It feels a bit odd to me we could just win one game in last 11-12, finish 15th or 16th and yet no questions asked whatsoever that there should be any doubt Gerrard gets 100m + transfer warchest to potentially waste another season.

Let's not forget we added three outfield players in January, two of whom have been at the top level for pretty much all of their senior careers for club and country yet the results have remained mediocre.

That may be but he’s staying on regardless. The fact that he was on a scouting mission in France with the club hierarchy would suggest he’s not under any pressure at the moment.

It may not be to everyone’s liking but I cannot see any other outcome (unless we somehow contrive to get relegated!) 

I wasn’t overly keen on his appointment and the jury is still out for me. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Steero113 said:

Has anyone given any though that it would be prime Villa to lose to Norwich and Burnley and then do a job on Liverpool at home to deny Stevie G's old side the title 🤣

Mate, I didn't even want to out it out into the Universe, as it would be the most Villa thing to do.

A. Give Dean Smith his retribution and redemption moment at VP.

B. Get rolled over by a Burnley fighting for their lives.

C. Look like we are doomed.

D. Look outstanding against teams we shouldn't, surpass safety, to give fans false hope again that " You know what, this team is only 1 or 2 players away from being a serious force ". Lol

E. Or look good in all of them but lose anyway.

We don't do easy 💪🏽

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

Â