Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

41 minutes ago, sne said:

Yeah I'm sure we'd all hate if Villa are successful 🙄

No......Just under SG🙃

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't have chosen Gerrard myself, despite his famous name and him having done a pretty decent job at Gers, it somehow felt like a boring appintment, and have a few doubts based on what we've seen with him so far, but overrall he hasn't done a bad job, so way too early to make any definitive judgements on his abilily yet, some people talking as if he's already a proven failure with us.

If it was possible I'd like us to get Pochettino but for now just going to have to get used to the fact that Gerrard is manager.

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Why focus on the most extreme opinions? On Gerrard or anything else. Just ignore them.

Sure we can find flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, pro-Russians and even Coldplay fans on here but no point engaging them. 

Gerrard is a massive Coldplay fan.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, useless said:

but overrall he hasn't done a bad job

He’s done pretty poor so far. After the initial bounce he’s averaged 1 ppg and knocked out the cup.  Even with this squad that’s the bottom end of what he should get without being fired.

• Like 1

Those who think it’s bad in here need to flick through some of the pages in the DS thread - pick a couple at random between page 250 through to nearly 500 (interestingly some of us have swapped our positions).

I distinctly remember one vocal critic of DS who has been recently referenced was posting memes of Smith with text saying “I don’t know what I’m doing” included, so I’m unconvinced Gerrard’s getting it any worse.

Said it before, but as with Bruce and Smith’s bad spells early on, I just want to see something positive on a semi regular basis for the remainder of the season to make feel content about him carrying on in the next campaign. Still waiting for that, there was a glimpse a month or so ago, hopefully we’ll see more by the end of May.

I have my reservations, but he’ll be here next season, as such I’m not fervent in wanting him to stay or go.

• Like 2

I said he hasn't done a bad job overall, if you take out the so called 'bounce' that's not 'overall', that's taking away where he's done well to suit an argument.

Overall we're 11th based on games since he became manager, and that's with most teams around us having played more games  since he came, the two immediately above us having played two more.

Part of my issue with Gerrard is that it still feels like he's a Liverpool player. I haven't been able to separate the Liverpool Gerrard from the manager Gerrard and it feels like he isn't really our manager but just being allowed to sit in our manager's chair because he's PL royalty. This is my problem and nothing to do with Gerrard, but the constant talk about Liverpool from him and him recently playing football in a Liverpool shirt has not helped.

It doesn't feel like he's our manager. I don't believe him when he says he's delighted to be at a big club like Aston Villa and I feel no affiliation with the Gerrard Villa. And i don't think I'm the only one who has this feeling about him

19 minutes ago, YLN said:

Part of my issue with Gerrard is that it still feels like he's a Liverpool player. I haven't been able to separate the Liverpool Gerrard from the manager Gerrard and it feels like he isn't really our manager but just being allowed to sit in our manager's chair because he's PL royalty. This is my problem and nothing to do with Gerrard, but the constant talk about Liverpool from him and him recently playing football in a Liverpool shirt has not helped.

It doesn't feel like he's our manager. I don't believe him when he says he's delighted to be at a big club like Aston Villa and I feel no affiliation with the Gerrard Villa. And i don't think I'm the only one who has this feeling about him

I can see where you’re coming from a bit but he doesn’t constantly talk about Liverpool, he gets constantly asked about Liverpool and he shuts it down as quick as he can. He played in a charity match, no big deal.

Edited by WallisFrizz
Typo
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, YLN said:

We've gone from a dyed-in-the-wool Villa fan to a guy who is mostly out for himself but has a lot of affinity for Liverpool too - it's not an easy act to follow, really. 

32 minutes ago, useless said:

I said he hasn't done a bad job overall, if you take out the so called 'bounce' that's not 'overall', that's taking away where he's done well to suit an argument.

Overall we're 11th based on games since he became manager, and that's with most teams around us having played more games  since he came, the two immediately above us having played two more.

Ok but that initial period massively increases the “overall” numbers, you think fairly but given when we are in normal mode and not the hype that happens when a new manager comes in and especially a profile of Gerrards it seems disingenuous to include.  When everybody is settled back down and we start functioning normally as a club after the fanfare we average a point a game.  If Smith can be judged on 2021 form and not 20/21 55 points season then it should also be valid to judge Gerrard in 2022 form.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Why focus on the most extreme opinions? On Gerrard or anything else. Just ignore them.

Sure we can find flat earthers, anti-vaxxers, pro-Russians and even Coldplay fans on here but no point engaging them. 

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Gerrard is a massive Coldplay fan.

That's why @sne post was genius 

I was thinking " I see what you did there with the last bit, well played " . Lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

i dont think i have ever seen such vitriol against a manager on here, for no real good reason tbh.

Gerrard for me, has done some things wrong, some things right, but he will also get the summer window to start to build his own team and will probably get a good chunk of next season at the very least to show what he can, or cant do......., anyone who thinks he will get sacked this season (unless he somehow gets us relegated), is out of their mind.

i understand some arent convinced with regard to Gerrard, but some of the comments are just clear agenda's, its pretty sad to see tbh.

It's the same people that want instant success, we have to give him time. 

11 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

It's the same people that want instant success, we have to give him time. 

To be fair, this time it's a mixture, not just them.

Alot of which won't admit that subconsciously alot of it is a hangover from losing Deano, a Villa fan and good bloke.

SG has an uphill battle. The only favours he can do himself is positive results!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The only favours he can do himself is positive results!

That’s what he was brought in for, it seems weird us expecting positive results given he was brought in because the last guy was loved but wasn’t getting positive results.  So he got fired, we got an “upgrade” and now fans are expecting positive results….how dare we 😉

Â