Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

6 hours ago, nick76 said:

The difference we have is that you think Gerrard is the next step after all these top of the range managers, whereas I thought there was a whole gulf between the two levels which had many other alternatives in.  Each view is valid based on their perception of Gerrard.

Was he? Or was it this is your squad we need to get better out of them and we’ll add a few quality signings to enhance it. Only the summer transfer will tell us.

He was chosen why? He has no real experience doing it really at the top level.

Nobody was asking for a Klopp or Guardiola.  It wasn’t them or nothing, I don’t understand why examples have to be extreme.

Yeah we know, just thought we were past taking huge gambles on rookie managers that are thought about because of their playing name not their managerial resume.

I accept he’s our manager but my initial reservations aren’t being calmed.  Purslow took a punt on somebody he knew who otherwise wouldn’t have been considered ready for this role.

• I think there is a possibility in time, SG could be amongst the top managers, yes.....but not now....I accept your reasoning.
  • I think Steven Gerrards profile was a significant reason why, they seen him as a catch for better quality players.....we don't make the rules, thats how players think......would they be as inclined to play for more modestly profiled managers?
  • Zelensky hasn't  much experience in leading a country, but he is not doing a bad job as a leader.....I think experience is over hyped at times.....not dismissing it, but was Ron Saunders that experienced when he came to us...yeovil, Norwich and a season at Man City?
  • The point being made about Klopp and Guardiola was just references to top status managers, just an example they have more attractive opportunities, when looking to move.
  • I think what SG did at Rangers was commendable....sure some will pour scorn on the league standard and ignore his exploits in european competition....I choose to think it was a more difficult gig than it looks...I don't see it as a huge gamble, just a gamble as all appointments are.....ask Man U why it went wrong for world class managers, with impressive pedigree's
  • I think your last line is gas lighting Purslow.....I think he is impressivley articulate and his knowledge of the inner workings and integrity of our manager, was a plus. I think its cheap to say, its his mate, as some have lazily done....I don't think our owners would employ a CEO with such a superficial approach to appointing a manager.....I would hazard a guess that the due dilligence was intense.

Nick, as I have said before, its opinions.....and if you need more evidence than he has given you, so far.....fair enough, but I fancy you will have to wait until after this season, to judge properly.

Personally, I have no more evidence than you, we all see the same things....and while I am NOT convinced with some of our performances, I still think Steve and his coaching staff will get it right, right in the respect of getting us in the top half of the table and challenging for Europe....I still see plenty of things during a match, I am not happy with and we are still losing too many games....but I still believe in him.

Edited by TRO

20 minutes ago, TRO said:

but Rodgers didn't just land, like he is now, it took development.....and experience is incremental, not a flash of light and then Bingo, fully fledged manager

I fully agree. And until you've seen a Head Coach in context, you don't know if they'll do well... But absolutely no doubt about it that we've taken a hell of a risk on a relatively inexperienced manager (and completely inexperienced in top tier leagues in Europe) and then paid them like they're a proven quality manager in this league and internationally. 

Beale has a degree of success in bringing through talent as a youth coach in very well funded academy setups (so did Sid and K-Mac and latterly the current setup here)... But the transitioning to and improving first team players is what I'd be looking for. Perhaps the most successful person to have properly made the transition from youth development to first team coach recently is Steve Cooper, a little bit in the past are Dean and Thomas Frank they've demonstrated an ability to nurture young players both in a youth and senior football setting. 

The signs are not good, and based on what I've seen, I'd be surprised if he oversees a top ten finish (or oversees the end of another season). I hope to be wolfing down humble pie at the feet of the Premier League Manager of the Year next season. I just can't see it, and think that he'll leave having achieved little here. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom13 said:

How do you know this? We'd just spent big on Buendia and Bailey. Not saying squad improvements aren't necessary but surely they'd want to see him get the most out of what we've got, at least to begin with.

He phoned me and told me.😋

seriously, powers of deduction.

Do you think buying attacking players, is suffice, if the defensive side of the team needs attention?.....I don't know how many times, this needs spelling out.

The owners can probably see it for themselves.....They too, will know, when we are easy to play against.Wes Edens particularly is well versed in the rudiments of sports businesses.

Maybe you are over expecting what he can get out of them, is that a possibilty?.....I think Cash, Nakamba,( when fit) and Ramsey are playing better, now.

32 minutes ago, Dale said:

I fully agree. And until you've seen a Head Coach in context, you don't know if they'll do well... But absolutely no doubt about it that we've taken a hell of a risk on a relatively inexperienced manager (and completely inexperienced in top tier leagues in Europe) and then paid them like they're a proven quality manager in this league and internationally. 

Beale has a degree of success in bringing through talent as a youth coach in very well funded academy setups (so did Sid and K-Mac and latterly the current setup here)... But the transitioning to and improving first team players is what I'd be looking for. Perhaps the most successful person to have properly made the transition from youth development to first team coach recently is Steve Cooper, a little bit in the past are Dean and Thomas Frank they've demonstrated an ability to nurture young players both in a youth and senior football setting. 

The signs are not good, and based on what I've seen, I'd be surprised if he oversees a top ten finish (or oversees the end of another season). I hope to be wolfing down humble pie at the feet of the Premier League Manager of the Year next season. I just can't see it, and think that he'll leave having achieved little here. 

your entitled to your opinion....there is no monopoly on the right Answer?.....and I am not claiming to have despite having confidence in my opinion.

Do you think Eddie Howe is doing well? because he has 2 more wins than Steve...having spent c£100 mill in Jan.

What do you think the Newcastle fans opinion was after 9 games?.....when they didn't have a win.

Rome wasn't built in a day....if we are having the same conversation this time next season, we may have a problem.

3 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

They both give a good press conference to be fair. 

If he can't see the parallel of inexperience and at the same time, still show leadership, I can't help him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

But does Zelensky throw his countrymen under the bus after losing a battle?

what a bizarre interpretation of a point about inexperience and leadership.

You digress.

Edited by TRO

33 minutes ago, TRO said:

what a bizarre interpretation of a point about inexperience and leadership.

You digress.

Agreed. This seems to be a variant on the “strawman” argument - best to ignore.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

I think every Villa fan would prefer that Gerrard is successful and any post to the contrary is just weird.

You'd think so, but there have been some posters openly saying they hope we lose games so he's sacked

• Like 2

this is a fascinating topic regarding SG.  Personally I'm willing to give him more time despite the poor performances lately.  He has not even had a full season OR preseason yet.  He has not had a summer window yet. 

Frankly imo, I lay alot of the blame for the poor performances at the feet of the players.  They are the ones that cannot string 2-3 passes together, cannot put a shot on target, zero movement without the ball, constant schoolboy defending, etc etc.  Villa are simply not even doing the basics well at the moment, and I blame the players for that.  That is effort and concentration.  Those are all rudimentary footy skills that I'd expect any professional footballer to posses at a minimum.  They are being paid to play this game as a professional athlete.  I'm shocked by the apparent LACK of pride this Villa side show.  They don't seem to care about losing until the 80minute mark.  That is not on SG.  That is on the players.

Whoever at Villa is doing the data analysis when choosing players via scouting needs to be sacked.  This mentality with Villa has been going on for years.  Something is wrong with the 'type' of player we are bringing in imo.  The algorithm needs to be revised.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

Frankly imo, I lay alot of the blame for the poor performances at the feet of the players.  They are the ones that cannot string 2-3 passes together, cannot put a shot on target, zero movement without the ball, constant schoolboy defending, etc etc.  Villa are simply not even doing the basics well at the moment, and I blame the players for that.  That is effort and concentration.  Those are all rudimentary footy skills that I'd expect any professional footballer to posses at a minimum.  They are being paid to play this game as a professional athlete.  I'm shocked by the apparent LACK of pride this Villa side show.  They don't seem to care about losing until the 80minute mark.  That is not on SG.  That is on the players.

If coaching and motivation can't do anything to address any of this, one wonders why we changed managers at all.

I recall when Smith was sacked, one of the justifications for the timing that Purslow gave was that they wanted to give the replacement plenty of time to turn things around, what a chump, should have told him there's nothing that can be done.

Edited by Davkaus

I'm a Gerrard fan, what I mean is I want him to work out. But at the moment he is no better than, Vieira, an arguably no better than our own Dean Smith. One advantage he came with, is he can attract players, which many other managers in our position probably couldn't. An to be fair, that's huge.

• Like 1

I’m going to reserve trying to gauge how much pull Gerrard has as a manager after the summer.

I had thought Coutinho was a nailed on permanent signing, I’m not quite as confident I was. 

However much of a name he is, the higher we finish up the league will make Gerrard’s job of attracting players easier.

• Like 2

Â