Steven Gerrard

TrentVilla

53 minutes ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

If Villa got a draw or even a win against Liverpool.... Just imagine how closely Sky's cameras would zoom in on Gerrard's facial expression at full time.

Actual footage at full time:

image.png.f3ddd9c283971b053162211e4df4b4a0.png

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, MrBlack said:

You asked if he thought some of our players were good enough and if he did that you disagree.. that translates as you thinking none of them are.

On topic: I agree that the squad is imbalanced, but think we have a team capable of finishing higher than it is performing with Gerrard. He needs to get more out of what we have available. But i suspect we'll need to sign a few players that suit our system to see a real improvement from Gerrard and this team.

Go back and read the exchanges again......I said "some of our players", he quoted me as saying " any of our players".....but its the imbalance, that is my main point.

as an example........You could have a squad full Kevin De Bryuners.....wouldn't make the players bad, but it would be imbalanced....thats the point I am making....but is seemingly hard work making it.

You seem to agree on the imbalance, so we are on the same page..... but maybe that imbalance is more far reaching than we think, maybe we all miscalculated, SG's ability to mask over it.....is that a possibility?

Thats the overriding point being made, we need to sign players to address that imbalance......then judge him, in reasonable time.

11 hours ago, tinker said:

I didn't sweep it under the carpet I gave options Gerrard could try. Sansom offers something different and so does Tim , like wise Beundia. Their not the answer to all of our problems but they are an attempt at a short term solution.

The fullbacks bombing up the pitch is also further weakening our already weak (defensively) midfield. These are areas you are ignoring to suite your point of view that Gerrard will succeed, one you have had from the start of his tenure. I hope you are right but I'm not one for ignoring what's happening right in front of us all 

Gerrard is a beginner, he has to learn quickly but he doesn't seem to be flexible enough. Even if he gets his players to work this system he wants to play he will still have to adapt to cover for injuries, suspension, forced  transfers and other managers who know how to expose the high full backs tactics.

I see your point on a DM, I have been asking for one for a couple of seasons, not sure why our recruitment team hasn't highlighted the need but that area needs addressing as well.

I know you have been an advocate of a CDM, ( a quality one) but the period of absence has affected the whole team......My frustration is, I think having appreciated the issue,by some fans,  some folk think he can just mask over it...maybe he can't, even if he has tried, maybe a top notch manager can't....isn't that a possibilty?

If I am right and I say IF.....How much flexibility does he really have where the midfielders are pretty much the same, in terms of attributes.....What in real terms can be feasibly be changed to make real change.....different faces, same issues.

The only bit I am sceptical on is signing Digne, due to him being a more attacking player, when I think we needed defensive savvy....He is undoubtedly a better footballer than Targett, so maybe in time the signing might make more sense to me.....Coutinho was just a world class talent that maybe we didn't need as a priority, but such an upgrade on everyone and the opportunity, couldn't  be missed.

My understanding is, that Dean was asked about midfielders in the summer and he said, he was ok for them......yes we probably was, in numbers ,but they are too samey in attributes, so we did need them.....We had one CDM at that point and he was struggling for game time under Dean....Only SG has found any form from him.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

Steven Gerrard is being questioned in some quarters, as to his suitability to our Managers job, some even want him out, so soon in to his tenure.....nothing wrong with that, no manager is beyond question.....but lets get a bit of perspective here.

Eddie Howe as a comparison has been revered in some quarters and claims he should be manager of the year......He has clearly done a great salvage job and from where they were, its understandable he is being applauded.

but lets get closer to things, this is the record of the 2 since they took over their respective new clubs.

• Steven Gerrard took over Aston Villa on 11th Nov 2022....Aston Villa was in 16th place in the league, 2 points above the relegation zone, with not a win since September..... we had played 11 won 3 and drawn 1 when he took over........his record to date is ;      

Won 8 drawn 3 Lost 10

• Eddie Howe took over Newcastle on 8th Nov 2022....Newcastle was in 19th position, they had played 11 won 0 and drawn 5....5 points behind us......Eddie, never won a game up until January (9 games) ,where he spent c £100 mill mainly on defensive players....since then he has;

won 10 drawn 5 and lost 7......Eddie has clearly, embarked on a remarkable run, but only played 4 teams out of the top 8  and won One against Wolves....there again, no discredit, purely, perspective.

Now, I guess anyone will draw their own conclusions and I guess its fair to say Eddies record is better, my question is? That much better?.......where one is being nominated for manager of the year and the other is being questioned by a section of his fan base, whether he is fit to continue.....I think that is a pretty big disparity of views, taking things in consideration.

I am not lauding SG as the next messiah and clearly Eddies purchases have proved prudent, but its all been since Jan...clearly Newcastle are in the ascendency, when we are not....which does play a part in opinions.

I just think it opens a good debate....In terms of perspective.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

A problem with paying Gerrard off would be the compensation.  We insanely put him on £5m a year coming from Scotland.  We could get a coaching dream team of Potter, Smith and Frank for £5m a year.

Well done Christian Purslow

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

A problem with paying Gerrard off would be the compensation.  We insanely put him on £5m a year coming from Scotland.  We could get a coaching dream team of Potter, Smith and Frank for £5m a year.

Yep. Paid him as if he was still bossing a midfield in a top half team. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Would be hilarious if only it wasn't Villa.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Would be hilarious if only it wasn't Villa.

apparently Everton paying Lampard similar

Absolute farce that the media bandwagon are getting these trainees big wages

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 3

We no know how much his contract his worth, or what's written into his contract. He's also nowhere near to getting the sack, so pretty much useless worrying about for now. As much as some may seemingly hate the idea, he could well prove to be a success and worth whatever it is he's being paid.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, useless said:

We no know how much his contract his worth, or what's written into his contract. He's also nowhere near to getting the sack, so pretty much useless worrying about for now. As much as some may seemingly hate the idea, he could well prove to be a success and worth whatever it is he's being paid.

He’s not sufficiently earnt his first six months salary that’s for sure.  Hopefully he can make up for it in later months.  On a 3.5 year contract he’s already about 15% through his contract term or 20% if a 2.5 year contract. I can’t remember what the final length of term was.

Edited by nick76

16 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

maybe, a blessing in disguise.....to save us from ourselves.

5 minutes ago, useless said:

I would be absolutely fuming if we were successful and played good football while competing for trophies again

29 minutes ago, useless said:

hush your mouth.....such blasphemy.....😀

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

hush your mouth.....such blasphemy.

Problem is, we are just speculating, there is no proof he will be a success, he looks like he won’t be a complete failure.  At the moment on the first six months he’s just meh and so far certainly not worth the big wage.  

It’s all great hoping he’s going to be a big success but I’m hoping I’m going to win the lottery as well. It’s just hope and not based on anything,  

We need to start walking before thinking of running and being a success. Success at the moment is hoping to beat relegation favourites, not exactly something we are shouting from the rooftops.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Problem is, we are just speculating, there is no proof he will be a success, he looks like he won’t be a complete failure.  At the moment on the first six months he’s just meh and so far certainly not worth the big wage.  

It’s all great hoping he’s going to be a big success but I’m hoping I’m going to win the lottery as well. It’s just hope and not based on anything,  

We need to start walking before thinking of running and being a success. Success at the moment is hoping to beat relegation favourites, not exactly something we are shouting from the rooftops.

Nick, this is not a loaded question.....but did you honestly see a young manager coming in and without addressing our main issues ( defensive Midfield) in January, see us turning over the likes of Spurs, Liverpool, West Ham, not to mention the big 2? with more or less the same players.....that was a big ask.

If I am being honest, I was hoping for 9th/10th.....and I was hoping to see the errors disappear more than we have.....but I say to myself, maybe I was wrong in my expectation, maybe the issues are harder to fix, without new faces.

Folk say a Great player like he was ,a William Wallace of the turf has actually worked against him, with us expecting too much, without the necessary fixes some of us, stand by.....He is clearly not a miracle worker, and yes I was expecting a bit better, but that could make my expectations ambitious too.

You are bang on Nick.....There is no proof of him being a success.....There wasn't any at Newcastle either, especially after 9 games, where Eddie never got a win.....but he clearly bought well, in terms of fix and its paid off.

Its far too early at this stage for hard and fast opinions, so as you allude to, we will keep on voicing unsubstantiated opinions.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

46 minutes ago, TRO said:

Steven Gerrard is being questioned in some quarters, as to his suitability to our Managers job, some even want him out, so soon in to his tenure.....nothing wrong with that, no manager is beyond question.....but lets get a bit of perspective here.

Eddie Howe as a comparison has been revered in some quarters and claims he should be manager of the year......He has clearly done a great salvage job and from where they were, its understandable he is being applauded.

but lets get closer to things, this is the record of the 2 since they took over their respective new clubs.

• Steven Gerrard took over Aston Villa on 11th Nov 2022....Aston Villa was in 15th place in the league, 2 points above the relegation zone, with not a win since September..... we had played 11 won 3 and drawn 1 when he took over........his record to date is ;      

Won 8 drawn 3 Lost 10

• Eddie Howe took over Newcastle on 8th Nov 2022....Newcastle was in 19th position, they had played 11 won 0 and drawn 5....5 points behind us......Eddie, never won a game up until January (9 games) ,where he spent c £100 mill mainly on defensive players....since then he has.

won 10 drawn 5 and lost 7......Eddie has clearly, embarked on a remarkable run, but only played 4 teams out of the top 8  and won One against Wolves....there again, no discredit, purely, perspective.

Now, I guess anyone will draw their own conclusions and I guess its fair to say Eddies record is better, my question is? That much better?.......where one is being nominated for manager of the year and the other is being questioned by a section of his fan base, whether he is fit to continue.....I think that is a pretty big disparity of views, taking things in consideration.

I am not lauding SG as the next messiah and clearly Eddies purchases have proved prudent, but its all been since Jan...clearly Newcastle are in the ascendency, when we are not....which does play a part in opinions.

I just think it opens a good debate....In terms of perspective.

We were 16th… (sorry to be pedantic) 

• Thanks 1

Â